Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ultimate rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Ultimate rewards

DiscoverIt Miles will give you 3x points per dollar valued at 1 cent each for the first year, and then 1.5 miles per dollar after. The card also has no annual fee, $30 in wifi flight purchases for free every year, free overnight shipping of a replacement card, first late fee waived, free FICO score, no blackout dates... You can also redeem your miles for as little as one mile, where many travel cards have a threshold. 

While it doesn't have any of these fancy $100 airline credit every year, or trip cancellation insurance, or free first checked bag... The card has no annual fee so what do you expect? 

I think it's a great travel card for the average cardholder, since you don't lose value in points to cash back redemptions, and it's giving you essentially 3% cash back in the first year with no annual fee plus the $30 credit. Pretty good deal if you only travel one or two times a year. 

Message 11 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

DiscoverIt Miles will give you 3x points per dollar valued at 1 cent each for the first year, and then 1.5 miles per dollar after. The card also has no annual fee, $30 in wifi flight purchases for free every year, free overnight shipping of a replacement card, first late fee waived, free FICO score, no blackout dates... You can also redeem your miles for as little as one mile, where many travel cards have a threshold. 

While it doesn't have any of these fancy $100 airline credit every year, or trip cancellation insurance, or free first checked bag... The card has no annual fee so what do you expect? 

I think it's a great travel card for the average cardholder, since you don't lose value in points to cash back redemptions, and it's giving you essentially 3% cash back in the first year with no annual fee plus the $30 credit. Pretty good deal if you only travel one or two times a year. 

It is a very good cashback card for the first year (I got a second for my spouse once my year was up) but after that it is fairly useless, a 1.5% card with somewhat less acceptance than a V/MC.   The $30 a year credit is very flexible, I've used it for in-flight meals as well as checked bag fee, but it's a pain to remember to use it (once a year) when it is S/D the rest of the time.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a very good cashback card for the first year (I got a second for my spouse once my year was up) but after that it is fairly useless, a 1.5% card with somewhat less acceptance than a V/MC.   The $30 a year credit is very flexible, I've used it for in-flight meals as well as checked bag fee, but it's a pain to remember to use it (once a year) when it is S/D the rest of the time.

It's a very good card for the average cardholder, i.e: not someone that's on here looking to maximize their credit and gain enough rewards points to retire with). I'm talking about someone who never visits this board, never churns, and only applies for a credit card few times in their life. 

I do agree with the acceptance part, it is slightly less accepted, but I rarely have a problem with it not being accepted by a merchant. 

It certainly beats out cards like the Venture One, American Express Blue Sky, and BankAmericard Travel rewards (unless you're a BoA checking account holder). 

Message 13 of 18
Xistaben2
New Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

You can't just assume that UR is universally better.  It suits me best but that's because of the vale I can get with redemption options I use and with my spend.  Each needs to do a proper analysis and to do the math for the individual's spend and ability to redeem with each program.  Don't look just at the cards.  It's never just about the cards themselves but about how well cards and programs suit the individual.  There are certainly those who could be better served with a program like MR.  There are also those that would be better off sticking to cash back.

@Xistaben2 wrote:
Give the 50% redeption bonus through the Chase portal
The portal is just one redemption option. I know it provides an easy way to calculate reward value but everyone should consider the transfer partners and run the numbers for using them for comparison.

I am going to say that in my opinion, I can easily assume UR's are now universally better.  For much less in AF's, they are significantly more obtainable (that's not to say they won't be devalued later, but as of now, they aren't) than MR's.  AMEX in a lot of cases don't have decent transfer rates unless there is an offer for a bonus, which isn't common enough to expect it at any given point.  Chase is 1 to 1 and has United, which a lot of people are finding a lot of value in their award flights.  UR's are going to be higher on earning points for lower AF's than AMEX and a higher bare minumum redemption rate.  To maximize MR's with best cards, it will cost 440/year in AF's after the credits (Platinum, PRG, EDP).  UR's it is 245/year after the credits (CSR, Freedom, FU and Ink).

As far as my point about the 50% redemption rate through the portal, that was the earn rate if the cardholder was just interested in cash back.  So for cash back, I don't think anything can touch it.  FU at 2.25% beats out all of the no-AF 2% cards, Freedom beats out DiscoverIT at 7.5% and the array of cards beats out the BCP in everything but groceries (except when the Freedom has the groceries quarter, then BCP is beat).

I feel like a Chase spokesperson now (pay me Chase), but after seriously looking at the numbers (I don't think I am mistaken with all of this), Chase is out front in pretty much every case.

Message 14 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a very good card for the average cardholder, i.e: not someone that's on here looking to maximize their credit and gain enough rewards points to retire with). I'm talking about someone who never visits this board, never churns, and only applies for a credit card few times in their life. 

I do agree with the acceptance part, it is slightly less accepted, but I rarely have a problem with it not being accepted by a merchant. 

It certainly beats out cards like the Venture One, American Express Blue Sky, and BankAmericard Travel rewards (unless you're a BoA checking account holder). 

But Cap One QS is pretty similar (no $30 a year bonus, but better redemption policy) and for domestic use, BlisPay, Fidelity Visa and Citi DC all pay higher rates.

And, IMO, given the reduced acceptance, for those who get very few credit cards in their life, this would be a poor choice.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But Cap One QS is pretty similar (no $30 a year bonus, but better redemption policy) and for domestic use, BlisPay, Fidelity Visa and Citi DC all pay higher rates.

And, IMO, given the reduced acceptance, for those who get very few credit cards in their life, this would be a poor choice.

Blispay won't make it.... With Citi you always deal with India customer service reps. Fidelity? Not worth it for the average cardholder since you have to have a Fidelity account. The average person isn't into Wall Street. Nothing wrong with having the DiscoverIt Miles and Citi DC in your wallet at the same time. 

Capital One doesn't compare to Discover. One is subprime, the other isn't. I'd be embarrassed to be seen pulling a Capital One card from my wallet. While some people on here love Capital One, many don't. There's no reason to redeem rewards more than once a month. Also,the QS also doesn't double your earnings during the first year, gives you discounts on gift cards when you redeem your rewards, or has a portal where you can earn extra back. 

Remember we're talking from the average person's perspective here. Even for people like you and I, I'd rather have the DiscoverIt Miles. 

Message 16 of 18
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

I think having CSR/CSP, Freedom and FU is the best combo for Travel Rewards hands down. I'm not much of a Traveler anymore except the occaisional vacation every 2-3 years. But if I did still travel heavily, These would definitely be the only 3 cards I carry on me. 

CSR/CSP - For all Travel and Transportation, all Dining except for when Freedom is 5% on Dining.

Freedom - All 5% Cats

Freedom Unlimited - All Other General Spending 

Message 17 of 18
Xistaben2
New Contributor

You'd be embarrassed to be seen pulling a Capital One card out of your wallet...? Lol

I can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.