Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Club getting EMV chips

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase United Club getting EMV chips

@HiLine wrote:

I wonder why people in Europe use a different verification system than ours. Did the systems develop separately? Is one more reliable than the other? 

Many systems were developed locally, and only later some attempt to make them global.

The US banks somewhat opposed to chip&pin EMV, classify the system as developed where telecommunications was expensive (and sometimes unreliable), so that online verification was not practical, so a chip-based approach was used.  With cheap, reliable, systems, US vendors can always use online verification, so we don't need old-fashioned solutions... blah.

Some of that might be true, but it doesn't address stuff like card cloning, which is easy with a mag stripe card, and is not, at least initially, detected by online verification (as the card appears to be valid).  Chip&Pin is much more secure, but some banks really are trying to leapfrog that technology to ones that are more secure.

Message 61 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

bribro wrote:The primary issue with chip & PIN is how the liability shifts more to the cardmember.

Right, I'm not too thrilled with the notion that my pin # alone is definitive proof in a court of law that I'm fully responsible for a fraudulent charge.

What are the current rules with ATM transactions?  Is there the equivalent of the $50 credit card rule, or can a bank say "Your correct PIN was entered, so it was either you or you wrote it on the card...." type of thing?

Message 62 of 83
HiLine
Blogger

@longtimelurker wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I wonder why people in Europe use a different verification system than ours. Did the systems develop separately? Is one more reliable than the other? 

Many systems were developed locally, and only later some attempt to make them global.

The US banks somewhat opposed to chip&pin EMV, classify the system as developed where telecommunications was expensive (and sometimes unreliable), so that online verification was not practical, so a chip-based approach was used.  With cheap, reliable, systems, US vendors can always use online verification, so we don't need old-fashioned solutions... blah.

Some of that might be true, but it doesn't address stuff like card cloning, which is easy with a mag stripe card, and is not, at least initially, detected by online verification (as the card appears to be valid).  Chip&Pin is much more secure, but some banks really are trying to leapfrog that technology to ones that are more secure.

Thanks for the insight. Any idea how difficult it is to integrate the PIN system in debit cards with the current EMV system in certain chip-and-sig credit cards to end up with the European type chip-and-PIN system? 

Message 63 of 83
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Thanks for the insight. Any idea how difficult it is to integrate the PIN system in debit cards with the current EMV system in certain chip-and-sig credit cards to end up with the European type chip-and-PIN system? 

The main reason that US is so far behind is because the US infastructure was working satisfactorily first and it would now be very expensive to rapidly change it.  EMV is faster than printing two receipts and signing one.  And it is far more secure.  It just will take awhile before every merchant starts upgrading to chip+PIN readers instead of magnetic stripe readers.

Its kind of the same reasoning for why the US uses 110V AC for electrical supply, even though it has been proven long ago by a guy named Tesla that around 240V is the most efficient voltage to transfer an electric current.  We already have a huge 110V infrastructure, along with electrical equipment that runs on that voltage.  It works sufficiently and is too massive to change after everything is already set up.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 64 of 83
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

@bribro wrote:

Oh I agree chip & PIN is a long way away, I just wish they'd do it because chip & signature isn't all that useful in Europe. The primary issue with chip & PIN is how the liability shifts more to the cardmember.

Yeah, Chip & Signature has been very un-useful for me. Any place i've been that accepted the Chip & Sig already accepts the Mag Stripe, so really what's the point. Then there are un-manned kiosks that would not take my Chip & Sig =(   Someday, someday...

I disagree. Chip and signature is useful as I have encountered several times problems with card terminals in Europe NOT reading magnetic stripes anymore. My Barclays Arrival did not work but I could have used Citi AAdvantage or BofA. Having several European chip and pin cards for 10+  years I have to say I love this system for as long as the card issuer allows to modify the intitial pin. Payment is so easy and the annoying sign process is gone. Amex Germany and many other German cards do not allow to change the initial pin and the result is that I am no longer using these cards. There is simply no way I am going to remember a ton of pins .. already some Maestro cards (debit cards) do NOT allow to modifiy the original assigned pin. Smiley Sad  I hate to imagine that the US issuers would implement chip and pin and set a fix pin to the card which cannot be modified by the cardholder. This would be fun.  My German cards I do not use anymore due to the fact I would need to look up the pin each time. Swiss cards  allow to modify your own pin and you can set the same on all cards and yes like this it is very easy with the chip and pin process. 

Message 65 of 83
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I agree that chip+sig is better than no chip at all.   In addition to unmanned kiosks, at almost every restaurant in UK, the waiter brings a chip reader to the table to pay for the meal.  These readers usually don't accept swipe transactions, so the end-result of presenting a swipe card is waiting for the waiter to go find a register in a different area that has swipe readers and then coming back with a receipt.  Not a huge deal, but it does cause a bit of a scene. . . I don't like to raise attention.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 66 of 83
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I agree that chip+sig is better than no chip at all.   In addition to unmanned kiosks, at almost every restaurant in UK, the waiter brings a chip reader to the table to pay for the meal.  These readers usually don't accept swipe transactions, so the end-result of presenting a swipe card is waiting for the waiter to go find a register in a different area that has swipe readers and then coming back with a receipt.  Not a huge deal, but it does cause a bit of a scene. . . I don't like to raise attention.

and I do not like my magnetic stripe cards out of sight Smiley Sad .. this is where most fraud start.. card get copied very easily ..the chip terminals directly at the table is wonderful for this. you do not leave your cards "unattended" ... the only fraud case I ever had with a credit card was from a restaurant where the magnetic stripe got copied during the swipe process. 

Message 67 of 83
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Yup. I figured I could just book SQ flights through United and I honestly dont mind switching to United.

Figured it's more convenient to have this card than to use my SQ Amex while I am here

I think you're one of the few who would openly say that, especially when comparing UA with SQ. There are worse carriers out there, but in that area of the world there are tons of others I'd choose to fly before UA (SQ, OZ, TG, NH, NZ, etc.)

Awww man I work for United, hence I fly out of there all the time! Is it really bad!? I always thought it was one of the top airlines behind (american airlines no their under a diff name now/not that I care) I only would think there better because of all the celebrities that fly through there, but to me United may cost more then other airlines (in LA) but is it really that bad!? Or are you guys talking card wise!? (Fly Noobie but I've been flying a lot lately from LA!) No complaints so far, except for the fact that I do see some delays every now and then, but people usually tell me their really generous when it comes to vouchers! -LJ (Opinions please, you can pm if you like, I don't want to take away from this thread, was just wondering why their was such "hostility" towards United ;\

20 Years & 1 Month Young; Total Income: $53k (Credit History): 1.9 years AAOA: 1.0 years
Fico Scores: Exp: 725 (12/4) EQ: 703 (11/13) TU: 736 (12/6) Total Credit Available: 89k
Wallet: AmEx Plat- NPSL | AmEx BCP $10.5K | BestBuy SC $10k | Duck Card $8k | BoFA CR Plat Plus Sig. $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase Freedom Sig. $7k | CSP Sig. $5k | USBank Cash+ Sig. $5k | Barclays R MC $5k | Chevron Visa $5k | BR Visa $5k | Walmart Discover $4k | DCU Plat Visa $3k | QuickSilver CR $3k | Macy's Store CC/Macy's Amex $2.5k/$3k | BML $1.2k | Citi Divi Plat Visa $500
Open Loans: Sallie Mae SL: ($5.6k) (Def.) Car Loan (Red Devil FR-S): $20k/33k Remaining -Will Pay Off in 2yrs. Advice Welcomed!
Message 68 of 83
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

All of the US carriers are awful compared to what's out there internationally. It isn't just a United problem, and if its any consolation I think DL is worse than UA. Try flying a few Asian airlines and you'll notice the difference immediately. The same goes for many European carriers like LH in F, etc.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 69 of 83
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

bribro wrote:The primary issue with chip & PIN is how the liability shifts more to the cardmember.

Right, I'm not too thrilled with the notion that my pin # alone is definitive proof in a court of law that I'm fully responsible for a fraudulent charge.

What are the current rules with ATM transactions?  Is there the equivalent of the $50 credit card rule, or can a bank say "Your correct PIN was entered, so it was either you or you wrote it on the card...." type of thing?

Good question, I have no idea.  

I've heard of a few cases where Banks shift the burden of proof in fraud cases when a "unique" pin number has been used in transactions.  The premise being using a pin # is riskier, since the consumer has to the burden of proof to show it wasn't him during a fraudulent transaction dispute.

For this reason, I almost never withdraw cash from ATMs, or use my "pin #"s for anything.  The only exception is for very certain wire trasnsfers on my BofA where a "randomly" generated one-time pin is required to complete a transaction.  

I have a chip&pin from HSBC, but never use it unless I have no choice, since I always prefer "chip and sign."  Unless it's a merchant I really need something from, I'll just go elsewhere when they start on me with the pin # stuff.

Message 70 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.