Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Club worth the AF?

tag
One7
Valued Contributor

Chase United Club worth the AF?

Just curious what people think about this card or maybe someone who has it can give me some info.

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Nw2Fico

Re: Chase United Club worth the AF?

No. Fee has been broken down, and compared to similar cards, the math seems to suggest its price bloated and the utility compared with amenities in many cases for avg/above avg spending just lacking to justify that fee. I guess it depends on your loyalty and frequency with United. I have the Explorer card, it seems just fine and currently having a promotional bonus. Just my 2 cents.

Message 2 of 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

They have one with a waived AF this year and $95 after that. It offers 2 lounge passes so and still earn points. It might be better if you still want the lounge passes but don't fly often 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 3 of 8
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

If you fly frequently and the airports have United Clubs, definitely worth the AF.  Stoppping into a Chase branch should also get you the first year free.  If you earn miles a number of ways too, you can use the miles on the United Choices site for credits on United purchases or the Annual Fee.  This year alone I've already received ~$500 in statement credits by redeeming miles.      

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

They have one with a waived AF this year and $95 after that. It offers 2 lounge passes so and still earn points. It might be better if you still want the lounge passes but don't fly often 

That's the MileagePlus Explorer.  OP is asking about the Club card.

As with any matter of worth it's subjective and depends on whether or not one finds the benefits to be useful.  A frequent United traveler who would benefit from the club membership would probably find it worthwhile.  Club membership on its own is $500 for an individual with a $50 initiation fee.  AF on the card is $395.  There are also the Premier Access benefits, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum and Avis First.

An infrequent traveler would probably be better served by picking up passes on eBay or using the passes that come with the MileagePlus Explorer.

Message 5 of 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

That's the MileagePlus Explorer.  OP is asking about the Club card.

As with any matter of worth it's subjective and depends on whether or not one finds the benefits to be useful.  A frequent United traveler who would benefit from the club membership would probably find it worthwhile.  Club membership on its own is $500 for an individual with a $50 initiation fee.  AF on the card is $395.  There are also the Premier Access benefits, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum and Avis First.

An infrequent traveler would probably be better served by picking up passes on eBay or using the passes that come with the MileagePlus Explorer.

Also, if you plan to spend a lot of money on the card for general spend, 1.5 United miles per dollar spent is a pretty good deal. Definitely app in branch if you go for it to get the first year AF waived.

Message 6 of 8
One7
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the information everyone. The 1.5 miles is better than most and does make is sound pretty good, especially with access to the lounge. I mostly fly AA and have a great card which I use for that but most recently flew United and had a great experience there so I was thinking about adding another airline card to my wallet. I was thinking either United or Southwest but not sure yet. I'm aware of the mileage plus card as well but would love to have lounge access. I'll be patient and wait it out a bit. I'll be dropping 4 cards in February next year when they hit their 2 year marks (fingerhut, 3 comenity cards and secured Cap 1) so I'll probably apply right before I do so. Gives me time to think about it. 

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 7 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

This card is only worth it if you are going to use those benefits (lounge access, hyatt, avis, etc). I would not recommend it for a casual traveller. However, if you have relevetively frequent travel in United hubs and you value the lounge access then it can be worth it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.