Chase United Explorer - Talk me off the ledge

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase United Explorer - Talk me off the ledge

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

B335is, I fly monthly for work domestically so little to no international at this time.  I would like the perk of a couple passes to lounges that goes with it.  I may be changing jobs so that will also come with international travel which is also making me want this too. 

I'm waiting as I know fixing my reports is the priority now.  Until then I will be also booking some AA travel with my Citi card but I have no status over there.

BTW I get email offers from United daily about signing up for the Chase card, but they are coming from United not Chase.  Not sure which is the best to apply for?

I was also flying United frequently for work, but after my classification changed I now do zero work related travel.  The passes were a nice bonus, but only 2 per year and I found some of the Clubs outdated and frankly, packed to the gills (I know they have a Club renovation project going though).  Have you looked at the United Club card?  It has a heftier AF, but you earn 50% mileage bonus, if you have Premier status complimentary upgrades on award travel and unrestricted access to the Lounges.

Is the United Club the $495 annual?  I would really like that the perks that come with it.  Today I have decent status but never get upgraded these days since I think have the flight is full of these card carriers.  I'm ususally number 15 on the board. 

Once I get a few removals on my files I will go for one or the other.  Any others with real life feedback on the two cards would be much appreciated. 

It's $395 AF for UA Mileage Plus.  It's also a heavy card, just like CSP.   If you travel heavily w/ UA, the unrestricted lounge access + 2bags checked free is pretty good. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 11 of 16
Networth
Frequent Contributor

Jump Smiley Tongue

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 12 of 16
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@Networth wrote:

Jump Smiley Tongue

Finally someone with an +800 avg score nets it out.  Thanks!

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 13 of 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

LOL. Not everyone with an 800 discloses it in their profile Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 16
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Ahhh modesty.  Smiley Happy

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 15 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

I keep getting these offers every other week and really want to pull the trigger... Yude and others... talk me off the ledge and tell me my CL and offer will be better once I clear my med collections and deal with my 7 yo judgement.

As always, use your credit to determine when to apply versus simply responding to marketing materials.  Offer will definitely be better (and more likely to be approved ) as your credit improves.  If one has derogs then they should always be addressed first.  Get your utilization optimized and the changes reported when you're ready to apply.

@BarryNTexas wrote:

BTW I get email offers from United daily about signing up for the Chase card, but they are coming from United not Chase.  Not sure which is the best to apply for? 

You'd apply with Chase either way.  Best would be whatever the best sign up offer is when you apply.

I can understand having the itch as I had it myself with a BK on my reports and at the time a BK reporting was pretty much an instant denial with Chase.  All this credit stuff takes time and if you're just months away from cleaning things up then you're really not that far away.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.