cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Explorer Target Offer, Approval?

tag
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

Chase United Explorer Target Offer, Approval?

Sorry, yet another one of these threads. Been reading here for awhile and got a targetted offer so decided to see what you guys think of my chances. First offer since I can remember...Please let me know my chances if you have some free time....

FAKO: CK: 634 CS: 677

AAoA: 5.4 years, Oldest account: 11 years

Cards

Amex Platinum charge card (1 year) : NPSL

Citi (10 years) : 93% UTL / 5050 CL

BoA (9 years) : 94% UTL / 1600 CL

GE Capital: (0.9 Years) : 94% UTL / 1500 CL

Best Buy - Cap1 (5 years) : 92% UTL / 900 CL

Express - Commenity bank (3 years) : 73% UTL / 900 CL

Discover (0.9 years) : 72% UTL/ 500 CL

Chase Slate (11 Years) : 40% UTL / 1000 CL

Target (4 months) : 0% /  300 CL

JCPenney (4 months) : 0% 200 CL

Inquiries: 13 HPs on April 14, 2013. Rejected on all except Target and JCPenney (wanted to decrease my UTL by having more cards. Didn't think i'd get a measly 500 CL between the two). Did NOT try recon for the 11 rejected apps (Freedom, CSP, Amex Hilton, etc...basically all the awesome travel reward cards).

Reason for high UTL: Been in college for 11 years (yes, call me crazy) and had to move to 4 different major cities during internships/grad schools. Just finally graduated. No job yet but will get a job in a few months usually starting out at $90,000 in my profession (medical).

Baddies: None, ever.

The reason I think I got the United Explorer invitation code offer is because I already booked 9 UA flights this year and my mileage account balance is high. Or do you think they Softied me and think I may qualify? I've been wanting a CSP/United cards for forever (since i obviously only fly UA), but can't even have a UA earning credit card.

Anyway, I know i will get auto-denied when I apply, what do you think will happen on recon though? thanks guys....

Edited to Add: I made a mistake on my BofA posting above - my BofA CL is 1600 NOT 5500. I edited it. Here are the stats:

Credit Card Utilization83%
Open Credit Card Debt$9,859
Credit Card Limit$11,950

as of 8/22/13

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase United Explorer Target Offer, Approval?

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to say that the prospects of approval are slim. Your util on 7/9 cc's is extremely high. Offers are marketing ploys and as you said yourself, you fly United often. Also, you are currently unemployed and income/employment information would be requested.

IMO, once you are gainfully employed and get your debt down to +/- 20%, you ll be fine.

Good luck !

Edit: typo
Message 2 of 14
broseph23
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately I do not see any chance at all on an approval. Util is just way to high, esspecially with your highest credit limits currently maxed out. I see a chance if you pay your slate down comepletely to zero, and then pay down your util to overal under 30%.

Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 3 of 14
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Lexie is 100% correct.  Even on recon it will be  a denial

Message 4 of 14
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

Thank you! I'm very happy you guys sound assured because I would've applied and wasted a hard pull! I was afraid someone might say "you might have a chance" and I would've applied and been pretty angry with the result (and with that person).

Thanks again, time to water my garden! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

On the plus side, the dollar amount of what you owe isn't really that much. After you start working, you can easily pay off those debt within a few months with your income.

Best of luck!
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 14
broseph23
Regular Contributor

@enharu

Eh, $13,475 is still kind of a lot of cc debt for 90k gross income. Depending on taxes, take home could be as low as $67000, which is roughly $5500 per month. Could definitely take more than a few months depending upon living expenses etc. it may be done, but idk, I don't think it's likely that fast. JMO
Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 7 of 14
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@broseph23 wrote:
@enharu

Eh, $13,475 is still kind of a lot of cc debt for 90k gross income. Depending on taxes, take home could be as low as $67000, which is roughly $5500 per month. Could definitely take more than a few months depending upon living expenses etc. it may be done, but idk, I don't think it's likely that fast. JMO

13.5k debt is definitely not a lot of debt for that income even if his expenses were half his monthly net income that is still 5 months to pay off.  That is if his housing expenses are high of course geography plays a big part in that because that usually is the bulk of someones expenses.

With his income he might not pay it off  in 5 months or he might but in three months he could get his util into a range that would get him the biggest score bump.  Which should get him an approval.

Message 8 of 14
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

I'll be living at my dad's old house (paid off) in Henderson, NV. So no housing expenses besides the $100 HOA/utilities/the regular stuff. All other expenses will be typical, except I will have a huge $1500/month student loan payment (yup, 11 years of school, ouch). I have no idea if I am going to buy a car, or use my dad's beat up 1998 car yet. Although in reality I will probably just drive the 1998 car until it dies and buy a new one (Have no idea how long that junk will last though..).

I honestly have no idea how long it will take me down to $2500-3000 in debt (range before I apply) since I literally just started "life". But i'll keep you guys updated, and will bump this thread up especially when it gets kind of close to applying...

Edit: Oh i forgot to add that my student loans don't kick in for another 6 months! I guess these first 4 months (when I work in 2 months) is the time to pay as much down as I can on the CCs....

TY people...

Message 9 of 14
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

Anyone who is a United or former Continental FF gets these targeted mailings.

Chase is VERY sensitive to utilization and inquiries for the past year, especially the last six months. I got denied and I work for one of the airlines above...hit for utilization (much lower than yours but still too high) and a whopping 8 inquiries. I reconned and was still denied...too much available credit. Like I can get on a plane with my Nordstrom and Macys cards...

YOu will get there though. I am gardening in the meantime but plan on landing that fish for travel.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.