Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Explorere Miles Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase United Explorer Miles Card

I have the card and it is a good card, although I am going to cancel when the AF is due and go for the sapphire preferred instead.

The benefits are good. Priority boarding, free checked bag, and two club passes. When I travel for leasure I pack a backpack with a change of clothes and carry it on so a free bag doesnt really benefit me because I dont use it. Priority boarding is not a big deal as my backpack fits under the seat in front of me. Don't particularly care about club passes, really just earning miles so I will be switching to the CSP instead since it has a higher earning rate for the same AF.

If you do check bags, or bring a large carry on that you need bin space for then this card is worth it, but only if you fly less than 25k miles a year, if you fly more then you are better off getting the CSP or Club card as even as the lowest tier elite you get the benefits of this card so holding this card as an elite isnt worth it.

Message 21 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I applied online for the card and I just got approval email, logged in to find $8000 CL!

I am surprised, did not think I would get such a high limit. I dont know my FICOs but my "TransRisk" score according to Juniper Bank is 702.  I dont have a single late or baddie on my record for last 7 yrs, maybe that goes a long way.

I know a lot of peopIe dont like this card, but I really wanted it for several reasons, mainly for miles:

1) I'll get 50K bonus miles when I make my first purchase

2) No baggage charge

3) Two club memberships per year

4) 2x miles when buying united flights

While I fly maybe 20K miles a year, its not enough to justify spending $400/mo for the Club Card. Maybe if it had a much lower APR, but all these miles cards seem to have a dismal 15+% APR. I will use it like an atm card -- collect my points then pay in full!

I'm still curious about what it means to "recon" - does that simply mean you ask the credit card co. to reconsider your application?

Message 22 of 51
jcx808
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I applied online for the card and I just got approval email, logged in to find $8000 CL!

I am surprised, did not think I would get such a high limit. I dont know my FICOs but my "TransRisk" score according to Juniper Bank is 702.  I dont have a single late or baddie on my record for last 7 yrs, maybe that goes a long way.

I know a lot of peopIe dont like this card, but I really wanted it for several reasons, mainly for miles:

1) I'll get 50K bonus miles when I make my first purchase

2) No baggage charge

3) Two club memberships per year

4) 2x miles when buying united flights

While I fly maybe 20K miles a year, its not enough to justify spending $400/mo for the Club Card. Maybe if it had a much lower APR, but all these miles cards seem to have a dismal 15+% APR. I will use it like an atm card -- collect my points then pay in full!

I'm still curious about what it means to "recon" - does that simply mean you ask the credit card co. to reconsider your application?

I plan on applying for this card as well in September when my utilization should drop significantly.  What is your credit profile look like?  What is your overrall utilization and utilization per card. 

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 725 EQ 746 TU as of 6/24/2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jcx808,

My credit profile is pretty simple.

I do not have a mortgage or auo loan (but had auto loan in past - all paid off 6 yrs ago).

I have 5 open credit cards -- two completely paid off, one at about 50%, two about 60% (including AmEx Blue).

I do not have a single late payment or other baddies in the last 7 yrs.

I don't know my credit scores, but when i last checked over a year ago they were in the 680 - 700 range. I think after paying off those two cards my scores jumped up by about 20 pts.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Message 24 of 51
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the $8k CL. Like OP, I want this card too! I currently have 2 Chase cards (Freedom/CSP) but I also want this card for the same reasons you listed. My util is kinda high right now too but I want to make sure it's under 10% when I submit my app. It's also a great looking card but I want that signup bonus!

Message 25 of 51
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice!!!  Yes, that's exactly what it means.  Chase and Barclays are known for credit card recons if you're at first denied.  Smiley Happy

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 26 of 51
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Is there any way to product change this card to a non-airline rewards card? Called in the past and was told no, but that was years ago and was wondering if anything has changed...

ImageImageImage

Message 27 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you need to get your util down to 10% in order to get this Chase Explorer card, especially if your scores are in the 700 range. And you already have a couple of Chase cards which should help.  But all that will depend on your overall creidt picture. I think what helped in my case, even though my util is high, is that I have an otherwise spotless record AND already have a Chase account with a couple of OnePass Preferred cards that I use all the time

The signup bonus is very nice -- there are differing offers out there ranging from 25,000 to 65,000 miles. I kept logging in to my United account until I saw the 65K bonus advertised, then clicked on that link and submitted the App. Right now when I go to www.chase.com/united and hit the Apply button, I only see the 40K offer. If you keep checking your own account, or the chase site, you might stumble across the 65K offer. (I think it is 45K after first purchase, 5K for adding authorized user, and another 10K if you spend $25,000 but I might be off by 5K somewhere in there.)

Message 28 of 51
Voodard
Contributor

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ I agree, 10% utilization rate would be fantatsic, but an overkill to get approval. Any amount under 30% should be enough. I read somewhere online that to get the UA MileagePlus Explorer Card an average score of 704 was needed. To get approval for the UA MileagePlus Club Card an average score of 740 was needed. (Average was the mean score needed by approved applicants)
TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 29 of 51
Voodard
Contributor

Do any of you know if we received an invitation to apply for the UA MileagePlus Club Card it means we have good chance of being approved?  We have until July 31st to apply using the invitation code and was curious what you all thought?

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.