Chase United Explorere Miles Card

tag
jcx808
New Contributor

Re: Chase United Explorere Miles Card

@snowangel wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

@jcx808 wrote:

My FICO score is 704 for EQ.  I'm at around 36% for overrall UTL with 3 cards reporting balances and 5 cards with 0 balance.  Out of the 3 cards with balances, one is at 93% UTL, the other 2 below 50% UTL.

Should I pay down the 93% UTL or pay off the 50% UTL cards?

I'd pay down those cards unless you have a GOOD explanation for why they are so high.  Chase can be touchy with high UTIL and excessive INQ if your FICO is borderline.  You will also need to qualify for at least a 5k line to get the card.

I was approved (on recon) with scores in the mid 600s, probably 6 or 7 inqs, old student loan lates (but there are a lot of them and the original reason for my denial), and 6 accounts opened in the last year.  They only gave me a CL of $1K .  

How recent was your approval?

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 725 EQ 746 TU as of 6/24/2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 51
jcx808
New Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

@snowangel wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

@jcx808 wrote:

My FICO score is 704 for EQ.  I'm at around 36% for overrall UTL with 3 cards reporting balances and 5 cards with 0 balance.  Out of the 3 cards with balances, one is at 93% UTL, the other 2 below 50% UTL.

Should I pay down the 93% UTL or pay off the 50% UTL cards?

I'd pay down those cards unless you have a GOOD explanation for why they are so high.  Chase can be touchy with high UTIL and excessive INQ if your FICO is borderline.  You will also need to qualify for at least a 5k line to get the card.

I was approved (on recon) with scores in the mid 600s, probably 6 or 7 inqs, old student loan lates (but there are a lot of them and the original reason for my denial), and 6 accounts opened in the last year.  They only gave me a CL of $1K .  

Chase tries to approve people for the Visa Signature version most of the time. They usually will approve others for the Platinum version if the app is recon'd. Chase loves handing out those Siggy cards as they make a higher rate on the transaction.

Whats the difference between Visa Signature and Platinum?  Which is better?

Message 12 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Visa Signature start from 5k....

Platinum: could be  1k or less.

Message 13 of 51
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I applied about a month ago, was denied, and did a recon for the approval.  They gave me a $5k limit.  My TU was 759, EQ was 742.  I have been denied 3 different Chase cards but ended up receiving each one after recon.  During the recon they ask about any balances, payments and for some reason they seemed interested in Amex, if you have any of their cards.  Good luck to you!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 14 of 51
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I applied about a month ago, was denied, and did a recon for the approval.  They gave me a $5k limit.  My TU was 759, EQ was 742.  I have been denied 3 different Chase cards but ended up receiving each one after recon.  During the recon they ask about any balances, payments and for some reason they seemed interested in Amex, if you have any of their cards.  Good luck to you!

Chase does not like American Express.  They had a legal battle some years ago and that is why Chase does not issue co-branded cards on their network.  I was approved for the United card a few weeks ago for $13k (760+ EQ score) and they beat my highest Amex limit by a grand.  I also have checking/savings/mortgage and 4 other Chase cards with lower limits.  I honestly like both Amex and Chase a lot as their CS is top notch.  Plus you just can't beat both of their rewards programs.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 15 of 51
jcx808
New Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Clocktick you have a Hawaiian Airline miles card, do you live in Hawaii?  If so, which CRA did they pull when you applied for your Chase United Explorer Card? 

Message 16 of 51
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Yes, I have the Hawaiian Airlines card.  I live in NY.  I got it for the 35,000 points you receive after spending $1000 in 4 months.  They convert to 70,000 Hilton Hhonors points (great deal)!  They pulled EX for me as BOA tends to do.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 17 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase United Explorer Miles Card

I am about to apply for the Chase United Explorer card, reallly want it but worried about being denied. What do you mean by "recon" and how do you do it?

PS - I don't know my current FICOs but I think they are in the 680 - 700 range. At least they were about a year ago.  I don't have a single late or missed payment in over 7 yrs and no other baddies but I think not having a mortgage or car loan counts against me. I have 5 cards, two i just paid off in full, other three at about 50% util. One is AmEx Blue. One is Juniper Bank, which reports a "TransRisk" score of 702 (just jumped up from 665 after paying down those two cards).

Do you think being a Chase account holder and frequent Continental/United flyer helps in qualifying? I don't suppose my Chase Continental OnePass debit card with MasterCard logo can be "converted" to Explorer card? (It still gets me free baggage!)

Sorry I know these are pretty dumb questions and I should buy my credit scores. Just makes me so mad that we have to buy our own scores!

Message 18 of 51
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am about to apply for the Chase United Explorer card, reallly want it but worried about being denied. What do you mean by "recon" and how do you do it?

PS - I don't know my current FICOs but I think they are in the 680 - 700 range. At least they were about a year ago.  I don't have a single late or missed payment in over 7 yrs and no other baddies but I think not having a mortgage or car loan counts against me. I have 5 cards, two i just paid off in full, other three at about 50% util. One is AmEx Blue. One is Juniper Bank, which reports a "TransRisk" score of 702 (just jumped up from 665 after paying down those two cards).

Do you think being a Chase account holder and frequent Continental/United flyer helps in qualifying? I don't suppose my Chase Continental OnePass debit card with MasterCard logo can be "converted" to Explorer card? (It still gets me free baggage!)

Sorry I know these are pretty dumb questions and I should buy my credit scores. Just makes me so mad that we have to buy our own scores!

I think if you have a ~700 FICO with no baddies and a decent income, you stand a good chance. A previous credit relationship with Chase will likely help, although a debit card might not get you much. Rewards debit cards have basically ceased to exist, so I'd hold on to that as long as they'll let you.

It's a good card for someone who travels a few times a year. If you travel more than that you might want to look into the United Mileage Plus Club Card.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 19 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i agree to that. This card is only great for mild travelers. 

Message 20 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.