Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Explorere Miles Card

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase United Explorer Miles Card

@Voodard wrote:

Do any of you know if we received an invitation to apply for the UA MileagePlus Club Card it means we have good chance of being approved?  We have until July 31st to apply using the invitation code and was curious what you all thought?

If you have the CSP already, you should have a good chance to get the club card. I don't see one as being that much more difficult than the other. Chase watered-down the requirements compared to it's previous version, the presidential plus. That was a world elite master card, which was arguably more difficult to obtain than a visa signature. ~740 sounds about right for the club card. The presidential plus was ~775+.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 31 of 51
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I wished I had apped for pres. Plus before they stopped taking apps. Getting elite qualifying miles is great. Could have easy gotten 100k elite qualifying miles running business expenses through it.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 32 of 51
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
I wished I had apped for pres. Plus before they stopped taking apps. Getting elite qualifying miles is great. Could have easy gotten 100k elite qualifying miles running business expenses through it.
I had it and swapped it over to the new version. For a business card it's not bad, although they don't let you get to 1k via flex EQMs alone. As a personal card though it's extremely difficult to spend enough to get a similar effect. You'd have to run 250k per year just for gold. Business is possible, but for personal there are better options for that kind of spending.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 33 of 51
jcx808
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I applied online for the card and I just got approval email, logged in to find $8000 CL!

I am surprised, did not think I would get such a high limit. I dont know my FICOs but my "TransRisk" score according to Juniper Bank is 702.  I dont have a single late or baddie on my record for last 7 yrs, maybe that goes a long way.

I know a lot of peopIe dont like this card, but I really wanted it for several reasons, mainly for miles:

1) I'll get 50K bonus miles when I make my first purchase

2) No baggage charge

3) Two club memberships per year

4) 2x miles when buying united flights

While I fly maybe 20K miles a year, its not enough to justify spending $400/mo for the Club Card. Maybe if it had a much lower APR, but all these miles cards seem to have a dismal 15+% APR. I will use it like an atm card -- collect my points then pay in full!

I'm still curious about what it means to "recon" - does that simply mean you ask the credit card co. to reconsider your application?

Did you get a "We need to review the application" message after you applied and then received an approval email?  I just applied and I got the dread we need to review application message.  I was hoping for an instant approval message.  Can you please elaborate.  Thx.

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 725 EQ 746 TU as of 6/24/2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 51
Voodard
Contributor

@jcx808:  Your EQ and TU FICO scores in your sig should have gotten you approved according to how I understand Chase approves applications.  What's your utilization rate?  That could be what's holding you back or if you had an old Chase account in the past with a blemish.  Could be an income issue, too.

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 35 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I initially applied online, I got an instant "Congratulation, you've been approved for $5K" message. But it did also say that everything was pending review of the application.  I was expecting to wait a week and then hear back that I was approved for half that amount, or not approved at all. I was very surprised when a few days later I got an email that my card was on its way! Did not say limit though. I logged in to my existing Chase bank account and there was my new Explorer Card account, and only by clicking on it did I see that it had an $8K limit. I still can't believe it!

Judging by your scores I think you'll be approved. I don't think mine are as high but I do have a really clean record.

Good luck!

Message 36 of 51
jcx808
New Contributor

@Voodard wrote:

@jcx808:  Your EQ and TU FICO scores in your sig should have gotten you approved according to how I understand Chase approves applications.  What's your utilization rate?  That could be what's holding you back or if you had an old Chase account in the past with a blemish.  Could be an income issue, too.

I'm at around 35%-36% overrall utilization.  I have one card at 93% utilization.  Maybe its because of that, I will try calling the analyst tomorrow or Tuesday.

Message 37 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the people who have this card is anyone else getting some "promotional miles" each statement? I have had this card since February and in the last few months, probably since April, I have been getting some promotional miles in addition to my regular spend.

On the statement it always lists miles earned on purchases and under that there is a seemingly random number of promotional miles awarded as well. Don't get what it is from as the signup bonus was just a one time thing after the first purchase so it can't be that.

Message 38 of 51
Voodard
Contributor

Ok, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  One card at 93% shouldn't hurt you because your utilization rate is 35%.  Please update us when you receive word from Chase.

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 39 of 51
jcx808
New Contributor

@Voodard wrote:

Ok, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  One card at 93% shouldn't hurt you because your utilization rate is 35%.  Please update us when you receive word from Chase.

I called today and spoke to a credit analyst.  The application is still pending since no one has reviewed it.  They asked me to call back in a couple of days.  So far its not declined but who knows what might happen in the next couple of days.  Hopefully its approved.  I'll keep you posted on the result when I call back in a couple of days.

Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.