cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United MileagePlus - Worth it for casual traveler? but...

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Chase United MileagePlus - Worth it for casual traveler? but...

So now that I'm in one state with a Partner and each set of parents in 2 different states was starting to think maybe if we can find one airline that "MOST" of the time would probably be best choice for everyone to fly to which place we meeting... Never really been a fan outside of Southwest for a while on if you don't travel a lot it's not usually worth the rewards and then furthermore in the case of this Chase it's 2 for Restaurants and Travel, 1 all else.... but 3% on Gas and 6% on Amex Blue for Grocery would be way better I think... so is it worth having this card just to pull out when it comes to traveling for the free 1st bag etc. etc.

Also might be able to PC a Freedom to this new united open for more than 1 year???

That might make the decision easy if they would PC, no point in new account and Inq just to book couple flights a year and free bag.

Might be worth it for new app if we could get all family members on both sides letting us book air travel for each get together we are doing and get cash at time... but not sure they would want to do that!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase United MileagePlus - Worth it for casual traveler? but...

@Creditaddict wrote:

So now that I'm in one state with a Partner and each set of parents in 2 different states was starting to think maybe if we can find one airline that "MOST" of the time would probably be best choice for everyone to fly to which place we meeting... Never really been a fan outside of Southwest for a while on if you don't travel a lot it's not usually worth the rewards and then furthermore in the case of this Chase it's 2 for Restaurants and Travel, 1 all else.... but 3% on Gas and 6% on Amex Blue for Grocery would be way better I think... so is it worth having this card just to pull out when it comes to traveling for the free 1st bag etc. etc.

Also might be able to PC a Freedom to this new united open for more than 1 year???

That might make the decision easy if they would PC, no point in new account and Inq just to book couple flights a year and free bag.

Might be worth it for new app if we could get all family members on both sides letting us book air travel for each get together we are doing and get cash at time... but not sure they would want to do that!

lol, James Joyce posts stream-of-consciousness, looking for credit tips...

OK, so untangling all this, are you saying that you would or would not use Southwest most of the time? (I can't get my mother to move to a Southwest airport. Smiley Sad)

So where did the AmEx BCP come in to all this?? That one got me chasing bunnies.

If you're looking for a good travel card, I keep reading references here to the flyertalk forum. My brain goes numb whenever I try to untangle airline cards, so unless you live somewhere where there's only one airline, I'd advise going there and seeing what they recommend.

Otherwise, how does the BCP come into the discussion???

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 12
FrugalRican
Blogger

I was going to apply for this card, but DGF and I decided against it. Let me tell you our reasons for apping and then reasons not to.

1. First bag checked is FREE ($50 for a round trip)
  2. Two United Lounge passes per year ($100 value)
  3. Priority Pass Boarding

That alone is worth the 95 annual fee. You get a great value for it.

Now, the reason we didn't apply for it... even though we fly exclusively through United/Continental, is because we don't fly every year. If you fly at least once and you want a card that'll save you some dough, this is a great card. There are other benefits to the card, but I found them to be minor, but for the fee, if you travel more than once a year, it's worth it.

I have to agree with hauling, you went all over the place with BCP and stuff, so i guess you are talking about how to use your cards.
Regardless, I just decided against the Chase MileagePlus because I won't be travelling more than once a year. The United Lounge passes are nice but you would only be able to use it once (Pretty much if you are travelling with someone else), but the bag checked makes it worth it, and I loved to board before everyone else...

So it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it to apply for the bag checked.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 12
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Unless you fly a lot it wouldn't seem worth applying unless you just wanted the card, to have. I'm lazy about apping and barely travel.

You're gonna apply anyways. Why justify it!?

I'm really happy with the BCP, its AF pays for itself and I get cash back!! When I start pruning in a few years it'll be one of the three cards spared.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

FrugalRican wrote: 

1.  Unless you're going on an extended vacation, no real reason to check a bag.  I just took a 5 day trip and my carry on bag (22x14x9) was able to hold a change of clothes for every day.  I haven't checked a bag in over 5 years.  

2.  Not a bad value...IF the airport has a United Club.  

3.  You're in boarding group 5.  All elites will still board ahead of you.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sorry the dinner bell was getting loud for me to come down... HAHA

Amex came into it because what use to be Restaurants was our biggest expense of the month it is now Trader Joes.  We are now going out to eat once mostly, sometimes twice a week. So my suggestion to get Costco Amex is a sore subject now!

Partner wants 1 card for everything outside of Target 5% (makes sense but PIF) and now Lowes also 5%.

So actually what I am thinking now which seems to be others thoughts is if you fly once a year and just bring the card out for booking and bag and lounge etc. so I'm going to see if we can PC the Freedom (Been SD for some time).  The bonus with new app would be nice but currently the CL on Freedom would be enough for just 2 bookings at a time and later if it becomes more travel we can see about taking the INQ for better limit.

Oh and the Southwest was only mentioned because I always have said I hate airline cards, you have to spend $30+k or more sometimes to get any free ticket etc. but Southest Chase card was FAR EASIER, only one I every liked.

Message 6 of 12
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Sorry the dinner bell was getting loud for me to come down... HAHA

Amex came into it because what use to be Restaurants was our biggest expense of the month it is now Trader Joes.  We are now going out to eat once mostly, sometimes twice a week. So my suggestion to get Costco Amex is a sore subject now!

Partner wants 1 card for everything outside of Target 5% (makes sense but PIF) and now Lowes also 5%.

So actually what I am thinking now which seems to be others thoughts is if you fly once a year and just bring the card out for booking and bag and lounge etc. so I'm going to see if we can PC the Freedom (Been SD for some time).  The bonus with new app would be nice but currently the CL on Freedom would be enough for just 2 bookings at a time and later if it becomes more travel we can see about taking the INQ for better limit.

Oh and the Southwest was only mentioned because I always have said I hate airline cards, you have to spend $30+k or more sometimes to get any free ticket etc. but Southest Chase card was FAR EASIER, only one I every liked.

It really depends on what your priorities are when you travel. If you are looking at this from a pure value standpoint, then no it's probably not worth it. However if you want a better experience (or fewer hassles) whenever you do travel, then it might be worth paying for it.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 12
FrugalRican
Blogger

@visorboy1974 wrote:

FrugalRican wrote: 

1.  Unless you're going on an extended vacation, no real reason to check a bag.  I just took a 5 day trip and my carry on bag (22x14x9) was able to hold a change of clothes for every day.  I haven't checked a bag in over 5 years.  

I know you posted these, but in my case, all 3 things are "worth" it:

1.  I travel to Puerto Rico for 8 days at a time... with a woman.
  2.  My airport has a United Club
  3.  We still get to board before general boarding begins. I hate trying to rush for the overhead compartments, specially if I'm one of the last to board. Already have had some bad experiences doing so in the past.

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 12
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

FrugalRican wrote: 

I know you posted these, but in my case, all 3 things are "worth" it:

1.  I travel to Puerto Rico for 8 days at a time... with a woman.
  2.  My airport has a United Club
  3.  We still get to board before general boarding begins. I hate trying to rush for the overhead compartments, specially if I'm one of the last to board. Already have had some bad experiences doing so in the past.

You needed to stop at the bolded part...  Smiley Tongue

As for #3,  I live at a United Hub and by the time the elites are done boarding any flight to a relatively major city, you have about 10-20 people left to board.  Heck, I'm left fending for overhead space sometimes and I'm Premier!

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 9 of 12
FrugalRican
Blogger

Last time we flew there, I didn't realize that half her checked bag was hair products and the such LOL

Next time I travel, I'll try and be aware to see how many people go after Priority Pass. That should be a good assessment. Maybe you're right about that one.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.