Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United - Points Question

tag
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

Chase United - Points Question

Hi all,

I need to purchase a few united miles to top off my account for an upcoming trip.

My question is this:

If I use my United branded card to purchase the additional miles, will I receive double miles?

Right now they have sale, 25% off purchased miles, going up to 40% for larger amounts (I only need about 5,000 miles).

So if I purchased 3,000 (increments of 1k), would I receive double?

Thanks all.

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase United - Points Question

@Jansroom726 wrote:

Hi all,

I need to purchase a few united miles to top off my account for an upcoming trip.

My question is this:

If I use my United branded card to purchase the additional miles, will I receive double miles?

Right now they have sale, 25% off purchased miles, going up to 40% for larger amounts (I only need about 5,000 miles).

So if I purchased 3,000 (increments of 1k), would I receive double?

Thanks all.

I believe as long as you  do it thru united and with your united chase card it should be x2 points remember it says purchases made on united ! It doesn't necessarily mean tickets ! 

Message 2 of 7
Kellan
Regular Contributor

It wouldnt be double points. If you bought 1000 points for $100 you would end up with 1200 points. You would get the 1000 you purchased and when your next statement cut you would get 2 points per dollar spent because you did the purchase at United.com. 

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 3 of 7
vladrad
Contributor

I think he meant if he "purchase" additional miles and then use them on flight will he get "new" miles for flight.

I think you will but I never tried this.

Citi "Diamond Preferred" (1k), Bank of America (12k), Capital One - secured (0.7k), AMEX Green - (5k), Chase Freedom (4.5k), Chase Slate (3.2k), Discover (3,75k), Chase Explorer (19k), Oldnavy (2.2k), Chase Amazon (3k), Orbitz Rewards (8k), Citi Double Cash (10,4k),
Message 4 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Depends how United sells their miles. If they do them through points.com then most likely not. If they do it in house then most likely yes.
Message 5 of 7
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Depends how United sells their miles. If they do them through points.com then most likely not. If they do it in house then most likely yes.

+1 ^ This

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Jansroom726 wrote:

My question is this:

Check the terms.  If you're referring to the MileagePlus Explorer (there's more than just one United card):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/united-airlines-credit-card.aspx

Earning Miles:
You, as the primary cardmember, will earn a total of 1 mile for each $1 of Net Purchases. You will earn an additional 1 mile for each $1 of Net Purchases (for a total of 2 miles) where United Airlines is identified as the merchant on your monthly credit card statement. Therefore, United purchases on some discount travel websites and on board will not qualify for the stated rewards offer. ("Net Purchases" are purchases of goods and services made by you or any authorized user on your account minus any returns or refunds, and do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) There is no maximum number of miles that you can accumulate in the program. See Rewards Program Rules and Regulations, which will be mailed after your account is established.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.