Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase/Wamu merger

tag
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase/Wamu merger

My thoughts?  As long as you don't do anything to give them an excuse to dump you like yesterday's trash, they are stuck with you and may even come to sorta like you again after time.
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 11 of 20
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

I think some are expecting either extreme to happen with this merger, while the answer's in the middle leaning toward conservative.

Look, we're in tough credit times...you get CLD'd by some if you take a cash advance for heaven's sake. So why does anyone think Chase is going to be forgiving and keep you? Just because you are in with WaMu, but otherwise don't meet Chase's standards? I don't see it happening, and I have a WaMu card myself with a nice CL. I'd LOVE to see them give everyone a chance, but I just don't see it....and it's just business. Yes, I know...none of us know for sure what's going to happen, but I'd rather be prepared for the worst in this scenario.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but I'm just saying: If you can't get in with Chase directly...good luck with getting to stay with them via this WaMu asset purchase. Maybe if you're borderline, they might give you a chance. But if you've burned Chase in the past 7 years (not directed toward any prior poster...just in general), I think you better be making contingency plans for yourself if you need that CC. It may be kept, sold, or closed. Err on the side of being "OK" regardless.

And for the record, they're not "stuck" with anyone. They can close your existing Chase account at will. Think this is different? They can rate jack you...CLD you...lots of options to make your business with them unpleasant enough to leave. CCCs do it all the time...this isn't any different just because you're getting in with a WaMu buyout. Take care of yourself, and don't be stuck without options for your WaMu card when the merger finally arrives in full force. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think it's going to be pleasant for all WaMu customers. Regardless, good luck to all!
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my chances with Chase-
I have had my Providian/WAMU card for 3+ years-
Never late, never over the limit - 

Message 13 of 20
felixfly2000
Contributor

My problem is I have two Wamu cards and one Chase card. What if the discover that fact, that I used the Wamu cards more than the Chase card. They may decide to cancel those account. I am secretly hoping they will combine the CL's. I know that won't happen. That's why I keep that thought to myself.Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You creditors already know how much you use the other companies.  

felixfly2000 wrote:
My problem is I have two Wamu cards and one Chase card. What if the discover that fact, that I used the Wamu cards more than the Chase card. They may decide to cancel those account. I am secretly hoping they will combine the CL's. I know that won't happen. That's why I keep that thought to myself.Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think everyone who manages their WaMu card well, will be fine. My score was tanked after I first got my Chase card. I carried  AT LEAST a $400.00 balance on a $500.00 CL  for one year.  After I improved my score and paid down the card, they gave me a second card and a CLI on the other card (within weeks of paying it in full). 

Message 16 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I've had nothing bad to say about Chase, other than the mass confusion when I was trying to find out if I had been approved. Great website, great CS (so far); for some reason, they even gave up pretty promptly on all the ancillary junk they like to push.

My only regret is that I didn't go straight for a Freedom card, rather than chickening out with the Borders co-branded MC. Still a nice little card though.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

well I had BK in 06/03 discharged but I have come along way my WAMu cards have my 2 best limits and actually WAMu just upgrade my Mastercard to rewards card---I will keep my fingers crossed I know its a process and come time to come--hopefully I can just prove I worthy of my cards and they will see all my pass efforts and responisbleness and I will be A-OK--otherwise my Bk comes off in 06/10 which maybe it could take that long to fully merge and I can just apply for a CHASE card--cause I refuse to give up my race vfor good credit just because of 1 or 2 credit cards--what one company will not go another will Smiley Happy always got to be positive--you think negative you can think bad things into existence!! Smiley Wink
Message 18 of 20
BetterTomorrow
New Contributor

I talked to a friend that works for WaMu and he said eventually WaMu credit cards will become Chase.  I don't know how accurate his info is since he didn't go into details but either way, people with WaMu CCs shouldn't worry... 
4/22/08
TU 673 EQ 631 EX 689

7/1/12
TU 705 EQ 717 EX 718
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 WAMU cards.  One had a 10,500 limit and 9.9% APR.  The other had a 5,000 limit and 11.9% APR.  Chase has lowered the limits and raised the APR on both to 27%.  Guess I will not be a Chase customer long.  Also, no late payments and always pay more than the minimum each month.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.