cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase & Capital One/ HSBC Product Change Policies?

tag
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Chase & Capital One/ HSBC Product Change Policies?

I have a Chase Slate that I've had for about 8 years. A few months ago, I used a 0% balance transfer offer on it, so it has a larger balance on it, which I'm paying more than the minimum on each month. I'd really like a Freedom card instead, but I'm not going to open any more new cards right now. Before I waste my time calling, does anyone know if they'd generally allow a PC from the Slate to Freedom? If so, would I get to keep my balance transfer promotion?

I also have a GM card that's about 10 years old. It was one of the lines sold to Capital One by HSBC this year. I have no use for the GM rewards, but it's one of my oldest and highest limit cards, so I don't want to close it. Does anyone know if Capital One is allowing PCs on the old HSBC cards? If I could even just PC it to the flexible rewards GM card instead of the straight GM one, that would be better.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Re: Chase & Capital One/ HSBC Product Change Policies?

Yes, Chase will allow a PC. I recently PC'd from a Freedom to a CSP. I'm not so sure about the BT promotion. Good luck!!

Message 2 of 4
compassion101
Established Contributor

I recently went from slate to freedom. All I did was ask. It was pretty quick, no change in CL or APR unless I wanted a HP.

Message 3 of 4
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

I called Chase and GM Card  (they're really still HSBC I think, even though they're reporting as Capital One) today. The GM card rep was pretty clueless and didn't understand what I was trying to do. He told me it couldn't be done, but transferred me to someone else. Luckily they knew exactly what I meant, and I got a PC to the flexible rewards card, which is at least slightly more useful than what I had.

Chase was a different story. The rep confirmed that they do allow PC from Slate to Freedom, but my account wasn't eligible. She couldn't tell me why though. I suspect it's because I've gotten stuck with Chase's penalty APR rate, which was another thing I wanted to ask about when I called. I had a couple of late payments about 3 years ago (like a couple of days late, just because I was disorganized, not even close to 30 days or anything), and it triggered the penalty APR. I had paid the balance from back then in full, and really wasn't carrying a balance month to month, so I didn't care all that much about the rate. I've got a balance on there now, but it's at a 0% promotional transfer rate, and I'll have it taken care of by the time the promotional rate expires. Still, I wanted that APR reduced.

I was told that she wasn't able to do anything about the APR, and that the account would be reviewed every six months for a rate adjustment. She couldn't even tell me when my last late payment was, and it was pretty clear that she wasn't going to be any help at all. I'm pretty seriously annoyed now that I've got a card with a 29.99% APR and no rewards at all. I'm going to try to call one of the backdoor numbers and see if they can do any better, because that's just ridiculous.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.