Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase and 5/24 rule?

tag
Klesko
Regular Contributor

Chase and 5/24 rule?

Got my EX clear except for my BK in 2009, fico score is now 747. I was wanting to switch from using my barclays primarily to a chase but I was checking my accounts and I am at 5 cc accounts and 2 auto accounts in the past 24 months putting me past the 5/24 rule. 

So was wondering if its even worth trying or should I just wait. Those 5 ccs will be 24 months old in Jan 2017 and one auto account will be as well. But I was planning on doing another mini credit spree here pretty soon. I was looking to add 2-4 new credit cards. 

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase and 5/24 rule?

I'd just wait. 5 in 24 is pretty solid and you don't want to waste a hard pull.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Klesko wrote:

Got my EX clear except for my BK in 2009, fico score is now 747. I was wanting to switch from using my barclays primarily to a chase but I was checking my accounts and I am at 5 cc accounts and 2 auto accounts in the past 24 months putting me past the 5/24 rule. 

So was wondering if its even worth trying or should I just wait. Those 5 ccs will be 24 months old in Jan 2017 and one auto account will be as well. But I was planning on doing another mini credit spree here pretty soon. I was looking to add 2-4 new credit cards. 

bolded part is irrelevant to 5/24 rule - it is only credit card accounts.

Definitely you will want to wait until you are under 5/24 to apply for anything with Chase, although I have seen some people get approved if they apply via prequal link on Chase's website even beyond 5/24. I was approved for 5 and 6/24 because my reports were showing only 4/24 when I applied for both cards.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Klesko wrote:

bolded part is irrelevant to 5/24 rule - it is only credit card accounts.

Definitely you will want to wait until you are under 5/24 to apply for anything with Chase, although I have seen some people get approved if they apply via prequal link on Chase's website even beyond 5/24. I was approved for 5 and 6/24 because my reports were showing only 4/24 when I applied for both cards.

The 5/24 only applies for the branded cards of Chase; CSP, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and Slate.  The rest of the cards offered by chase are not affected and you're free to apply.

Message 4 of 8
Klesko
Regular Contributor

Website won't give me a prequalify because of the blue still showing.

Is the rule 5 in 24 or more than 5 in 24.
Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months
Message 6 of 8
Klesko
Regular Contributor

Thanks, 

I have 5 exactly reporting right now so guess I will need to wait until Jan to be safe. Until then I plan to add 2-3 more cards so should still be fine by then I think. I want to add the new Costco Visa and possibly 2 new capone venture cards. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Klesko wrote:

Thanks, 

I have 5 exactly reporting right now so guess I will need to wait until Jan to be safe. Until then I plan to add 2-3 more cards so should still be fine by then I think. I want to add the new Costco Visa and possibly 2 new capone venture cards. 

What Chase card are you interested in?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.