Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase and Discover questions

tag
missgamecock
Contributor

Chase and Discover questions

We closed our accounts with chase and discover after getting in trouble with debt from medical bills,etc. We are currently on 0% interest plans to pay them back within a certain number of years (3-5). We are about 2 years away. Payments have been drawn from our checking account. Our credit currently stinks. However, I am looking to rebuild our credit. I currently have a capital one card for $320 cl. But I need to get something for emergencies as hotels, car rentals, etc make a big deal about debit cards. I am also coming into some money where we can pay off all of our old debt in the next month or two. So i am going to be able to call these companies up and pay them the rest that is owed. Hopefully I can negotiate a settlement and they take a reduced amount in exchange for me paying them everything now. Questions, if I do a settlement will I be able to reopen these cards that we had accounts with (we had the discover account for like 18 years. We always paid it on time till we ran into medical issues). We have paid it on time every month since it has been renegotiated to 0% interest rate. If I pay full price, will they reopen the card even if our credit stinks now?  I would like to play on the we have been customers for 18 years but ran into trouble, but now everything is good again.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Chase and Discover questions

I'm so glad that you have your health and financial picture is looking better 

In most cases they will not re-open old accounts hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones and they do so i'm pulling for you.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

^ this plus accounts will be settled or less. Chase will probably say no to future approvals for awhile.
Message 3 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Credit terrible because of the medical or?
How much is left on these 2 accounts?
Original limits or what is reported now?
Any other debts besides these 2?
Do you know scores currently?
Message 4 of 12
compassion101
Established Contributor

I wouldn't pay them early unless there is an advantage for you for doing so. I'd rather invest the money and/or have the security of extra cash in case you need it. I kinda doubt it will be right away that these companies will give you credit again, maybe down the road hopefully

Message 5 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Sorry to lol but Discover and Chase aren't going to extend you credit if you didn't pay them in full.
Is this payment plan affecting your credit?

It's possible you could just get another prime card from a diff lender If you have no lates and no notation of "debt counseling" on your reports...
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 12
dpechal
Regular Contributor

Here's how it was for me.  I charged around... $1500 with Chase when I first turned 18.  Being stubborn I decided I will never pay them back, not even a payment plan (this was in 2004).  Fas forward to 2012', 760's across the board they still wouldn't give me $1. I recently app'd for the Military Star Card and was approved for them, TWO WEEKS AGO.  So, it took longer than the "7yr" period for me to get back in with them.  I can't blame them though, why would they lend to me??

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 7 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well, if it was in 04, I'd give ya another chance.
These banks get tax deductions(write offs) and sell the debt...
After a while, seems like they'd lose money by not extending credit to someone who has learned the err of their ways!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 12
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Please be careful of settling accounts for less than you owe. Credit card companies have a habit of labeling that a charge-off (because it is) and that can really kill your credit score. Not sure what they're reporting on your credit reports right now with your 0% payment plan, but a charge-off would not help things.

Good luck!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 9 of 12
missgamecock
Contributor

Debt issues because of medical bills. I actually pay like $800 a month now in medication and dr copays!! I had a very high risk pregnancy and was on bedrest, the baby was born sick (Thankfully she is healthy happy 4 year old today), shortly after she was born I was diagnosed with severe lupus SLE. So we lived on credit cards for awhile when trying to make ends meet.Everything is closed. We have 29k (does not include car which is 19k and with chase) in debt that I am wiping out with this money. There should be enough to put in savings (10k). I am expecting about 40-50k as part of a settlement from a car accident hubby was in. They are in the negotiations stages now. Oh and I forgot hubby was in an accident that totaled MY car (he took it to work because it had been sitting while I was out of town for work.  A girl on a suspended license for DWI and in her dad's car and her dad was in the car with her plowed through a stop sign at 55miles an hour into him. Both cars were totaled. He had to be cut out of the car.He had broken ribs and knee surgery and back issues as a result). We want to pay the debt off and be free of it. Right now, just Discover and Chase is about 13k all together. I have a 0% interest rate on everything. My payments to them both equal to $770 a month. So I am anxious to get rid of this. 

Chase was pretty cool about the 0% interest plan. They sent us a letter after 6 months telling us that they were marking our credit reports as current and removing past dues on it! They said it was because we had made all of our payments on the plan on time to them. It took Discover a while to come around. They eventually gave us a 0% interest 5 year plan too.

So I guess if I want credit with them (Chase did give us a car loan with our terrible scores of 500 and 520 last year at a 7.9% interest rate. I know I was shocked too! They also hold our mortgage note) I need to pay full amount to them for a chance. Anyone else negotiate. I am pretty good at negotiating as I do that in my job everyday (contracting officer for govt). We also have several collections from accounts that have been charged off and passed around to JDB. A few have sued, all have lost. They hd no documentation to back up paperwork, could prove they owned the debt, or didn't have a chain of custody.

We also are trying to get ourselves into upgrading to a new house within a year as our house is too small with one bathroom and three daughters, a hubby and me. I am hoping to get my score up to 620 within a year or higher. We will be using my hubby's va loan (right now ours is a conventional loan because VA always counted daycare costs in the ratios, my last one is in prek now. WHOO HOO so that frees up another $700 a month and will not be in our debt to income ratios as in the past). I do want to get credit again with discover and chase.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.