tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Chase application secrets...

@yfan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Said by someone who closed all their Chase card.  Some of us want more cards, (Ink Cash and CSP), so I find the data points interesting.  Feel free to not indulge in threads that don't provide you with vested interest.  When one starts with no disrespect, but ..., THAT  is a contradiction in terminology.

I don't understand the bolded part. Are you saying that anyone who chooses not to have cards from a particular lender should be barred from participating in threads discussing that lender? Then perhaps that should be clear in the rules.

No, or at least that is not my understanding of the post. I think the point is that KDM doesn't want to discuss this anymore. Imperfect is just saying that from their point of view the information in the thread as merit because it provides additional datapoints for someone who wants to aquire future chase products. Just because someone who does not deal with chase is tired of the thread does not mean that someone who this information could be useful to is. They are not saying they are barred just pointing out that the more datapoints the better to help people who will apply for future chase cards. This is especially true because things can change with Chase and we should not assume that this will be the way it is going to be forever or even next year. The only way we will know of a change is if future datapoints highlight it. I think that is all imprefect was trying to say and it was not an attempt to exclude anyone from conversation. 

Okay, but someone who chooses not to use a lender can still have a legitimate opinion about a thread on that lender having run aground, no? My objection is not to wanting to keep these threads open; my objection is using someone's choice in lenders as a way to delegitimize - or at least devalue - their opinion.

I don't feel like that was their intention. Also, I do not really believe that posters should be dictating when threads need to be closed. I notice that time and time again (many times by the same people) there are posts to close a thread. To me that is really for the mods to decide if its appropriate or not and not an issue to be debated. Granted my post is debating whether or not it should be closed (I get the irony although I just responded to people calling for it to be closed), but my point is that we really shouldn't be debating it at all. The staff can read a thread and make their own determination as to what is appropriate. If someone does not like a thread  or no longer finds it useful they don't have to read it. Not sure why they have a right to try to dictate that nobody else can use it either.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 51 of 86
red259
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I don't think it makes any difference if someone has Chase cards or not. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to comment in the thread and offer their opinion. I don't have any Amex cards right now but that's not gonna stop me from giving my thoughts on that subject whenever I feel that it's appropriate for me to do so. I don't understand the issue.

By that logic, you would have to say that people with Capital One cards can't keep complaining about CapOne when they are still keeping their cards.

I don't think that is what was meant by the post. I can't speak for the poster, but that is not how I read it at all. I do not believe anyone is intending to advocate that if you don't use a certain lender you can't post about their cards. Really though we should get back on topic about OPs thread. 

;
Message 52 of 86
yfan
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

Okay, but someone who chooses not to use a lender can still have a legitimate opinion about a thread on that lender having run aground, no? My objection is not to wanting to keep these threads open; my objection is using someone's choice in lenders as a way to delegitimize - or at least devalue - their opinion.

I don't feel like that was their intention. Also, I do not really believe that posters should be dictating when threads need to be closed. I notice that time and time again (many times by the same people) there are posts to close a thread. To me that is really for the mods to decide if its appropriate or not and not an issue to be debated. Granted my post is debating whether or not it should be closed (I get the irony although I just responded to people calling for it to be closed), but my point is that we really shouldn't be debating it at all. The staff can read a thread and make their own determination as to what is appropriate. If someone does not like a thread  or no longer finds it useful they don't have to read it. Not sure why they have a right to try to dictate that nobody else can use it either.  

See, that's my issue - you just proved that the point could be made without attacking someone's choice in lenders. So whether the "intent" is to delegitimize another poster's opinion, that challenge is wholly unnecessary to making the point that thread closure shouldn't be suggested - which is why mentioning that choice appears as an attack.

As to the merits of what you are saying, that is an entirely legitimate point, but hard for a opinion board to actually adhere to. Until there's a clear rule stating that posters may not suggest the closure of a thread (except via a PM to a moderator), it will keep happening. 

Message 53 of 86
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I don't think it makes any difference if someone has Chase cards or not. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to comment in the thread and offer their opinion. I don't have any Amex cards right now but that's not gonna stop me from giving my thoughts on that subject whenever I feel that it's appropriate for me to do so. I don't understand the issue.

By that logic, you would have to say that people with Capital One cards can't keep complaining about CapOne when they are still keeping their cards.

I don't think that is what was meant by the post. I can't speak for the poster, but that is not how I read it at all. I do not believe anyone is intending to advocate that if you don't use a certain lender you can't post about their cards. Really though we should get back on topic about OPs thread. 

Okay that I can agree with. It's just that the wording of that earlier post really threw me off. For all I know, maybe she didn't mean to come across in that kind of tone. Sometimes with the internet, things can be misinterpreted or the context of posts gets lost a bit.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 54 of 86
red259
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Okay that I can agree with. It's just that the wording of that earlier post really threw me off. 

Yea I get that. 

;
Message 55 of 86
red259
Super Contributor

My post back in post 46 kinda got suddenly buried when we went off-topic, but if anyone has experiences with what I mentioned I would be very interested in those datapoints. 

;
Message 56 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my Chase Freedom denial in the mail, if it's a data point.

I excitedly applied after I got approved for IHG for an initial line of $12k.

The reason cited for denial was "Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years."  It literally said that, and only that, as a reason for denial.

Message 57 of 86
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sounds like your denial fits the new policy.
Message 58 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

It most certainly fits the denial, and it also fits the notion that partner cards are treated completely differently.

Message 59 of 86
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My friend works as a banker at Chase and has given me a blueprint for applying for their cards.  

He said first, if you do not have a pre-approval, then he has never been able to open a new account instantly.  He said he has yet to open an account without one, even with people that seem like they should be a shoe-in. 

Second though, if you do apply and you get denied, there is a way around the normal application process besides recon.  If you have an account with $10,000 or more, then go to a branch and fill out a "Special Consideration Form".  A banker will walk you through it and the odds are, statistically, 50% approval, however, every person he has done this for has been approved. 

Umm all of my chase cards were instant approvals with the exception of my Marriott card but that was because of security. I was never pre-approved for any of their cards.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 60 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.