Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase card declined at Walmart.com

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase card declined at Walmart.com

Ok here's what happened:

I used Chase Pay at Walmart.com, 9/8 (I noticed that I didn't get a card used alert and then that there was no pending charge in my Chase account.)

I got an email from Walmart today, 9/9, that my card was declined. Walmart said it was on a "finance hold" with Chase.

I called Chase. First rep forwarded me to the "transactions dept". This rep wanted my full SSN (To which I asked if they had another method), my card number, expiration, and back 3. Then they wanted to verify my Chase debit card via an automated system or get SP identity questions. I said the former then hung up on the system because my spidey sense was tingling pretty good.

I called Chase again. This rep said the charge was labeled fraud and forwarded me to the security department. Rep #4 asked for my name, card expiration, mother's maiden name or Chase online password, and bank from which I pay my card. He told me that Chase Pay and Walmart.com are having issues in which everything was labeled fraud. He approved the transaction, but said it "might" need to be run again.

Has anybody else experienced any of this? I'm primarily concerned about the odd verification methods, especially from rep #2. Somebody please tell me I'm being paranoid!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase card declined at Walmart.com

I may be missing something, but these seem like standard verification questions to me. Especially when you are calling regarding declined cards/potential fraud/etc, they are going to be thorough with verifying your identity. SSN, full card number, expiration, security code...these are typical questions.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like standard procedure with Chase.  I've called them at least a handful of times on various issues and had similar security questions.  The automated system is what they commonly use.  Not sure what you were expecting, they have to be very secure with this type of stuff.

Message 3 of 18
TaterDawg
New Contributor

Extremely paranoid.

The SP identity questions are to verify that your answers match the information you already gave them. You're not giving them new information.  Remember, you called them, so they aren't trusting you, until you can prove you are who you claim to be.

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to what has already been said, given the Equifax data breach, we all should expect to be thoroughly vetted when calling one of our creditor's.  It's for your protection as well as their's.

Message 5 of 18
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

OP you're not being paranoid. They really are out to get you. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This problem with chase pay at Walmart.com has shown up on a few other sites, where the posters had the same problem as you. I'm not allowed to link them but it might show up on a google search.

There are also reported problem with chase pay and order through it for pick up food orders where chase pay had the wrong menu for some locations
Message 7 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Walmart.com seems to be a mess in general. 

I tried to take advantage of the recent Amex Offer, and my orders kept getting canceled.  When I chatted with Wal-mart I was told my orders were flagged as fraud, and they supposedly cleared the flag but when I re-tried the same thing happened.  The problem I was having was also well-documented on various sites.

Between the walmart.com issues using Amex and the problems now with ChasePay, it seems Amazon has nothing to worry about - they never have a problem taking my money.

Message 8 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Walmart.com seems to be a mess in general. 

I tried to take advantage of the recent Amex Offer, and my orders kept getting canceled.  When I chatted with Wal-mart I was told my orders were flagged as fraud, and they supposedly cleared the flag but when I re-tried the same thing happened.  The problem I was having was also well-documented on various sites.

Between the walmart.com issues using Amex and the problems now with ChasePay, it seems Amazon has nothing to worry about - they never have a problem taking my money.

that's because Wal-Mart secretly wants everyone to come in to the store to pose for their "People of Wal-Mart" photo.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

They shouldn't be asking for your online password. If it isn't properly encrypted and reps are able to see it, there's a security problem at Chase.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.