Chase cards, e-mail address change - Fraud department

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase cards, e-mail address change - Fraud department

@Anonymous wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
One of the weirdest public records questions they seemed to use and that others have reported is being asked your astrological sign.

I know plenty of people who have no idea what their astrological sign is. One would think a business with serious interests would ask more businesslike questions, perhaps from his actual financial or credit history.

Wow, that is a bizarre thing to ask!

Agreed, Discover2016. In this day and age I would think a business that is serious about security would ask more relevant businesslike questions.

Synchrony also asked my astrological sign during verification when I was approved for Total Rewards Visa. I would expect it of Synchrony, but not necessarily of Chase.

Luckily I know my astrological sign, but I know quite a few people who have no idea what theirs is. It renders the use of astrological sign as an ID verifier quite useless in that circumstance. Smiley Happy

Some things that used to be good security questions are no longer considered useful, mother's maiden name being one as it is "generally available"   by bad actors.  But astrological sign doesn't seem a great substitute, for the reason you state, plus it is a simple function of birth date (also generally available), so while a bad person might not immediately have access to your sign, if they know your birthdate it would take, oh, 2 seconds to compute.

I did it so long ago but when you set up the chase web site, don't they ask you to set security questions.   They could use those!

Edit: apparently an official term is Readily available biographical information, defined in the Code of Federal Regulatons , 47 CFR 64.5103 as

The term “readily available biographical information” means information drawn from the customer's life history and includes such things as the customer's social security number, or the last four digits of that number; mother's maiden name; home address; or date of birth.

These things are not allowed to be used for authentication for CPNI, so the banks may take a similar approach.

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.