Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase charged me interest on a paid-in-full balance

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase charged me interest on a paid-in-full balance

@sunshine7157 wrote:

Thanks for the answers! The interest charge was very small- I was just not expecting it. I thought the cash advance fee I was charged immediately was to cover the immediate interest charges & that if I didn't pay it in full, I would then be charged interest. Lesson learned. I've never used any cash advance before & probably never will again as this was hopefully a once-in-a-lifetime situation. I just had to wire money to my kids asap on a Sunday (no banks open). They were travelling cross-country, hit an elk & totaled their truck.

Cash advance fee is mostly there to cover ATM fee other operator charges. Interest on cash advance is immediately, with or without PIF.

Message 11 of 21
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@sunshine7157 wrote:

Thanks for the answers! The interest charge was very small- I was just not expecting it. I thought the cash advance fee I was charged immediately was to cover the immediate interest charges & that if I didn't pay it in full, I would then be charged interest. Lesson learned. I've never used any cash advance before & probably never will again as this was hopefully a once-in-a-lifetime situation. I just had to wire money to my kids asap on a Sunday (no banks open). They were travelling cross-country, hit an elk & totaled their truck.

OMG I hope they are ok....   you know, that's what CCs are for, and you're blessed to have been able to take care of the situation using the cards in your wallet

Thank you! They are both ok-neither walked away with even a scratch. The elk and the truck didn't fare as well, however. They were coming from Minnesota to California. The elk got them in Montana. I have now added both of them as authorized users on my cc's. I never realized how difficult it could be to get money from point A to point B outside of normal business hours. Many lessons learned and provisions made as a result. Yes, I do feel fortunate that I had the cash advance option even though it came with surprises (out of my own ignorance).

Message 12 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

My Discover Motiva has a "cash over" option too that works at certain stores, like Kroger, and it's like the Wmt Discover "quick cash" option which I've actually and did not get charged a dime of interest/fees :-D

Bad thing with these options:
Wmt Discover has a $100 daily limit
Discover Motiva has a $120 daily limit

It's great that credit can be so useful!! I actually had to take a cash advance in July for an emergency and have since paid it off :-) yay!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 21
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

NFCU does charge a 50 cent fee for CA, but no other fees if you get it at any bank that takes visa (and doesn't charge a fee) or at an nfcu branch.

Glad your kids are okay, that's what really matters Smiley Happy

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 21
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@sunshine7157 wrote:

Is this right? I had to take an emergency cash advance against my Chase Freedom. I was charged a $39 cash advance fee immediately. I paid my entire card balance off before the due date. My statement just came out with an interest fee on it. I was under the impression that no interest is charged if paid in full?

Okay so i'm confused.  I get that the CA is charged interest immediately without any grace period, but you PIF the entire balance.  Shouldn't the balanace at the time you pay it show the full up to date balance? 

Message 15 of 21
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@sunshine7157 wrote:

Is this right? I had to take an emergency cash advance against my Chase Freedom. I was charged a $39 cash advance fee immediately. I paid my entire card balance off before the due date. My statement just came out with an interest fee on it. I was under the impression that no interest is charged if paid in full?

Okay so i'm confused.  I get that the CA is charged interest immediately without any grace period, but you PIF the entire balance.  Shouldn't the balanace at the time you pay it show the full up to date balance? 

yes and no. its like with mortgages. 

if you get it the 12th of sep they are charging your per diem interest. (the 12th to the 1st of next month)

same with cash advances. its x amount percent from the day you take it out to the day you pay it. even if pif. 

so like you said they charged interest because from the day you took it to lets say you pif your whole card in 7 days. 

they charge you 7 days worth of interest on the cash advance only. 

hope this helps. 

edit: missed the last question. and no because they only charge interest on the statement. they cant post per day interest on your transactions. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 16 of 21
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

@sunshine7157 wrote:

if you get it the 12th of sep they are charging your per diem interest. (the 12th to the 1st of next month)

same with cash advances. its x amount percent from the day you take it out to the day you pay it. even if pif. 

so like you said they charged interest because from the day you took it to lets say you pif your whole card in 7 days. 

hope this helps. 

edit: missed the last question. and no because they only charge interest on the statement. they cant post per day interest on your transactions. 

Dang, so thats messed up.  That is, if I understand you correctly.

So, if I log in to my account to pay my bill electorniclly (before the statement cuts), I am only shown the balance as of today minus the interest on the CA cuz they don't daily post that?

So then the statement cuts, and I am shown how much interest has accumulate on that CA?  

So, it can basically take two full statements to cut before I am actually done paying of the CA, right?

Message 17 of 21
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

@sunshine7157 wrote:

hope this helps. 

So, if I log in to my account to pay my bill electorniclly (before the statement cuts), I am only shown the balance as of today minus the interest on the CA cuz they don't daily post that?

So then the statement cuts, and I am shown how much interest has accumulate on that CA?  

So, it can basically take two full statements to cut before I am actually done paying of the CA, right?

no. 

if you make a payment and pay the ca (say you pif everything on the card) 

once they recieve payment thats when they stop charging interest. 

it just doesnt post until the statement. 

so say you take the ca on the 1st and your statements ends the 21st. 

if you pay on the 7th in full and dont use the card the only thing that will show up onn the statement will be the interest. 

to my knowledge a ccc cannot double charge interest on interest. but i could be wrong on this. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 18 of 21
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

@sunshine7157 wrote:

hope this helps. 

no. 

if you make a payment and pay the ca (say you pif everything on the card) 

once they recieve payment thats when they stop charging interest. 

it just doesnt post until the statement. 

so say you take the ca on the 1st and your statements ends the 21st. 

if you pay on the 7th in full and dont use the card the only thing that will show up onn the statement will be the interest. 

to my knowledge a ccc cannot double charge interest on interest. but i could be wrong on this. 

Okay i get it. So i just won't be able to see what the interest is untill the statement actually cuts.  

Lesson I'm learning is stay away from CAs haha

Message 19 of 21
AmExcelent

If you want to PIF and your card let's you pay more than the current balance, just overpay by amount of the CA * [(APR/100)/365] * the number of days since the CA was taken out. Hope that helps.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.