cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo

Established Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo


mmduluth wrote:

dyv8914 wrote:

I took a look at their website and the checking account page asks for zip code before it will let you continue. No Chase branches in my area and when I typed in my zip code it says no offers available Smiley Sad


Things like that bother me. You would think these days that they wouldn't care if there was a branch near you. Half of us here are members of CU's that are thousands of miles away from where we live. Litterally everything can be handeled over the phone or internet. Especially with Chase. Their mobile app and website are the most advanced and user friendly I've seen.


Nice offer and I agree...Chase's technology rocksSmiley Wink


Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge


Message 21 of 44
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo

I'm really bummed I can't get an online Chase checking account! Smiley Mad I'm going to call them to see if there is any way around that!




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 22 of 44
Blogger

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo

I finally read the article.

 

This thing about the points was actually explained to me when I applied to the Chase Freedom while at the branch.

Yet, I guess I really did put that in the back of my mind but always wondered why I was racking up points faster than I should have been. Now I remember why.

 

My debit card is actually an Ultimate Rewards debit card, so technically, I could transfer the points from my Freedom to my debit card and do it that way.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com


EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 23 of 44
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo


FrugalRican wrote:

I finally read the article.

 

This thing about the points was actually explained to me when I applied to the Chase Freedom while at the branch.

Yet, I guess I really did put that in the back of my mind but always wondered why I was racking up points faster than I should have been. Now I remember why.

 

My debit card is actually an Ultimate Rewards debit card, so technically, I could transfer the points from my Freedom to my debit card and do it that way.


...interesting....^ do you know if that debit card is still available. I don't want the Freedom, because I have the discover more but I would like the ability to get more UR points on my CSP

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 24 of 44
Established Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo

they did away with their debit card rewards program for the most part...every once in a while they send and email saying you can get 10x points from specific places like Redbox dvd rental and stuff...but otherwise, you dont get point on general purchases like you used to.

$1200 $1250 $4250 NPSL $5300 $1350 $3000

$6050 $5000 $10500 $2416 $6500 $3000
Message 25 of 44
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo

So, I live in Boston. If I drive to NYC, can I open a checking account in the branch??

AMEX: $25,000, CSP: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $6000, Discover: $21,000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 26 of 44
Established Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo


SwiftTone wrote:

So, I live in Boston. If I drive to NYC, can I open a checking account in the branch??


theres no branches in Boston? Isnt Chase based in NYC? Seems a bit crazy to me lol.

$1200 $1250 $4250 NPSL $5300 $1350 $3000

$6050 $5000 $10500 $2416 $6500 $3000
Message 27 of 44
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo

I wonder if the 5% bonus categories apply to purchases outside the US? For example, what if you're travelling and want to buy gas in Europe for a rental car?

 

I'd gladly pay the 3% forex fee for a 5% return. It's a +2% differential, which is more than the 1.07% I get with my CSP (and no forex fee).

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 28 of 44
Established Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo


CreditScholar wrote:

I wonder if the 5% bonus categories apply to purchases outside the US? For example, what if you're travelling and want to buy gas in Europe for a rental car?

 

I'd gladly pay the 3% forex fee for a 5% return. It's a +2% differential, which is more than the 1.07% I get with my CSP (and no forex fee).


I believe as long as the merchant classifies the business correctly it will count. The thing is that it's impossible to predict this, especially at small businesses and overseas in places where credit card use is not so ubiquitous. I once stayed at a Chinese hotel where it wasn't classified as a hotel! The charge posted as general business or something like that.

Message 29 of 44
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo


dyv8914 wrote:

CreditScholar wrote:

I wonder if the 5% bonus categories apply to purchases outside the US? For example, what if you're travelling and want to buy gas in Europe for a rental car?

 

I'd gladly pay the 3% forex fee for a 5% return. It's a +2% differential, which is more than the 1.07% I get with my CSP (and no forex fee).


I believe as long as the merchant classifies the business correctly it will count. The thing is that it's impossible to predict this, especially at small businesses and overseas in places where credit card use is not so ubiquitous. I once stayed at a Chinese hotel where it wasn't classified as a hotel! The charge posted as general business or something like that.




 

I'm pretty sure they'll be pretty good about that. Here in Australia you'll see the same companies as in the US: Shell and BP in particular come to mind.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 30 of 44