cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase closed my Marriott Rewards card :'( who will most likely approve me right now?

tag
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase closed my Marriott Rewards card :'( who will most likely approve me right now?

Chase has a habit of lowering your credit line if they do a soft pull on your credit file and you're over 30% utilization. Not sure if that applies to everyone but it happened to me too. I have the Chase United Explorer Signature Visa that had a $7,000 credit line and after a few months, they lowered the credit line to $1,600 without any notice. I had a zero balance but for one single month I went over 30% utilization and that's when they nailed me. I called the CSR and she said once my utilization goes down they'll re-evaluate my file and make a determination then about raising my credit limit. I still maintain a zero balance on the card and really wanted the $7,000 credit line to lower my utilization but we'll see what happens.

Message 21 of 39
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Re: Chase closed my Marriott Rewards card :'( who will most likely approve me right now?

@IrishPM wrote:

Chase has a habit of lowering your credit line if they do a soft pull on your credit file and you're over 30% utilization. Not sure if that applies to everyone but it happened to me too. I have the Chase United Explorer Signature Visa that had a $7,000 credit line and after a few months, they lowered the credit line to $1,600 without any notice. I had a zero balance but for one single month I went over 30% utilization and that's when they nailed me. I called the CSR and she said once my utilization goes down they'll re-evaluate my file and make a determination then about raising my credit limit. I still maintain a zero balance on the card and really wanted the $7,000 credit line to lower my utilization but we'll see what happens.

30% on ONE card, or across the board?

Because I carried more than 30% on one Chsae card and nothing happened, as I paid it down quickly. 

Message 22 of 39
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@tlclindac wrote:

Definitly talk to chase...

Have you tried NASA FCU?

They're done.  That ship has sailed.

Message 23 of 39
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

30% utilization across the board on all cards....I moved in January and put all of my moving expenses on my American Express card (my company reimbursed me after the fact) which drove my utilization up for one month...live and learn I suppose.

Message 24 of 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@IrishPM wrote:

30% utilization across the board on all cards....I moved in January and put all of my moving expenses on my American Express card (my company reimbursed me after the fact) which drove my utilization up for one month...live and learn I suppose.

honestly that still doesn't seem that bad... seems like something else spooked them?  Shrug...

Message 25 of 39
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I agree with creditcuriosity something must have spooked them because when i had 80% util they approved me for csp. And when i had like 45% util they doubled my credit line on my freedom card.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 26 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@IrishPM wrote:

honestly that still doesn't seem that bad... seems like something else spooked them?  Shrug...

No. It doesn't.

I routinely charge my cards up to 60% and let them report what they will, then either PIF or as much as possible without upsetting the rest of the budget.

Message 27 of 39
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@IrishPM wrote:

Yeah, 30% is nothing.

I was over 30% overall when I got my first two $5K lines... it's the addition of a lot of new CLs that's made my overall utilization now hover around 10%.

It had to be something else.

Message 28 of 39
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I've been up to 90% on my chase before and they haven't drop my CL or closed my account. I do however pay at least 2-300 every week 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 29 of 39
Faust

Odd situation for sure. Like others I've used up a huge portion of my credit line (during a very slow period of work two or so years back) and at times exceeded one of my Chase card's limit because of interest and not being able to pay much.

They never lowered my limit on either card I had with them (had a Southwest & Slate at the time) and when I paid it off entirely earlier this year they gave me a $1000 credit increase on the Southwest card. Approved for a Freedom and IHG card from Chase this year as well.

Banks can be so random with their credit decisions.

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.