Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase closing My Freedom for inactivity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase closing My Freedom for inactivity

Just got a letter that my Chase Freedom will be closing due to inactivity. It is only a $500 card but it is one of my oldest accounts. I tried about 2 years ago to get the limit raised but was turned down. Such a small amount will not effect my usage but it still makes me mad. Chase has never shown me any love even though they are my bank. I will be moving my money to another bank.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase closing My Freedom for inactivity

That's so schneeshee!
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Just got a letter that my Chase Freedom will be closing due to inactivity. It is only a $500 card but it is one of my oldest accounts. I tried about 2 years ago to get the limit raised but was turned down. Such a small amount will not effect my usage but it still makes me mad. Chase has never shown me any love even though they are my bank. I will be moving my money to another bank.

How are your scores?

Chase hates me too.. I bank with them for 8yrs now.. All my Chase cards are Cold Apps, Never received any prequal or offers. I have $500 on my Freedom as well.

How long is the inactivity?

Message 3 of 20
thummel
Established Contributor

You could always just use it for something small and then put it back away just to keep it aging.
Message 4 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

How long ago did you last use the card?

@thummelwrote:
You could always just use it for something small and then put it back away just to keep it aging.

It sounds like it's too late for that.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores are in the mid 700's and I have cards with 20k limits. No BK only one baddie on a student loan that is now a paid off account and will fall off in Nov. My annual income has been over 125k for the last 3 years I don't know ow why 500 is all I can get from them.
Message 6 of 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

So have you ever apped for a different Chase card? I received the same notice on my oldest Chase card several years ago. I called and requested that it stay open. A year later I apped for other Chase cards. I then moved the limit to one of them and closed it. I never received a CLI on that card in 7 years.
Message 7 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Moving your money to another bank makes sense, but I would keep the card, using it now and then.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 20
SwarthyOgre
Regular Contributor

I had the not gonna happen CLI issue with Cap1 on my first card out of the rebuilding gate and apparently it was due to it being in a "bucket" for high risk customers. It was stuck at 3 digit CL for almost 5 years and I just recently closed it. I mainly used it for rental car charges and god forbid I get a meal and top off the tank and the card was over 50% util before you could blink...no thank you. It served its purpose and now im in with AMEX, Discover and NFCU so it's not going to kill me to see it go.

TL;DR - Your card may have severe limitations imposed on it from whatever your CR was when you got it. App for another if you're in a better position with your CR.

Starting scores: 5/15 - EQ: 546 | TU: 580 | EX: 554
Current scores: 4/23 - EQ: 750 | TU: 750 | EX: 750
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may call and see if I can persuade them to keep it open it has probably been 3 years since I used it.  I called them 2 years ago when my credit was already better and explain that I wanted to use it as an everyday card but with a $5000 limit that was not possible.  I could app for another but  I m on the cusp if the 5/24 so maybe next year.  I currently have 75K in available credit and after 61 days with Amex that well could be close to 100K I have no need for the card other than the AAOA.  I wan never a Chase customer they bought out Washington Mutual and that is how I got in with them.  My Amazon Visa with Chase is another $500 card but I do use that for purchases I wonder if I can move the 500 from the Freedom to the Amazon? 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.