Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase closing accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase closing accounts

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does "income" have any relevance to a checking account?  When you open a checking account you don't have to declare income, do you?  Are they basing it off of a direct deposit amount into that checking account?  I'm just not understanding what is meant here by income not matching the checking account I suppose.

Message 21 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does "income" have any relevance to a checking account?  When you open a checking account you don't have to declare income, do you?  Are they basing it off of a direct deposit amount into that checking account?  I'm just not understanding what is meant here by income not matching the checking account I suppose.

Just a wild guess here, but maybe Chase looked at the pattern of deposits, direct and otherwise, into the checking account over the past year or so and compared it with the income claimed in the credit-card app/account? At that, I don't remember whether Chase asks for gross or net income in the app process.

Message 22 of 117
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Really wierd, I had a bank account with chase, yes I openned it because they gave me $200 bonus for doing so with $500 direct deposit into the account, I set up $500 direct deposit from each of my two bi-monthly paychecks into the account. Didn't effect my credit cards in the slightest.  The remainder of my paychecks went to my existing credit union checking account that has been open for nearly 20 years. That wasn't changing.  Needless to say the $1000 a month income showing up in my chase account didn't come close to matching my actual income.  

It really does sound crazy that this would be a reason. Many people recieve income that never shows up in any bank account especially if the person is well paid, many times income comes in the form of stock options and shares that are deposited into brokerage accounts, large portions of income can go straight to stock purchase plans and 401k. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 23 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

Really wierd, I had a bank account with chase, yes I openned it because they gave me $200 bonus for doing so with $500 direct deposit into the account, I set up $500 direct deposit from each of my two bi-monthly paychecks into the account. Didn't effect my credit cards in the slightest.  The remainder of my paychecks went to my existing credit union checking account that has been open for nearly 20 years. That wasn't changing.  Needless to say the $1000 a month income showing up in my chase account didn't come close to matching my actual income.  

It really does sound crazy that this would be a reason. Many people recieve income that never shows up in any bank account especially if the person is well paid, many times income comes in the form of stock options and shares that are deposited into brokerage accounts, large portions of income can go straight to stock purchase plans and 401k. 

Like Irish80 said, there might be something else going on here - which is not to imply any malfeasance on the part of the OP, but that Chase saw something they thought looked wrong (but which we have no way at this point to know is actually there or not) and took action based on that. I'm actually wondering now, if the OP can demonstrate with solid proof that Chase acted wrongfully/mistakenly in closing their accounts, do they have any recourse at all (such as getting Chase to reopen their accounts)?

Message 24 of 117
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The moral of the story is its best to not have deposit accounts unless they are CDs with a bank that you are going to have a credit relationship with. A CU is ok they dont do these things normally. I learned this a long time ago pre myFico even existing. Sorry to hear this OP.

Message 25 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all very much for your time and input. After going back and forth with myself, I decided to stop in my local branch and speak to a branch manager. She logged on her system and looked at the notes, stated nothing appeared other than closed. (Obviously) She then proceeded to call someone and they stated that I updated my income on my profile too soon after I opened the Ritz Carlton. Had it a little over a month. So, I guess when I did that I "spooked" them and they thought I was lying about my income. The branch manager said they can't reopen the accounts but I can apply for chase products in six months. So, I'm guessing I'm "blacklisted." For six months. ~Oh happy day~
Message 26 of 117
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Ive had my Chase card for three months and updated my income twice. No AA yet.

Message 27 of 117
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This evening, I discovered that all my chase accounts had been closed. I have a debit card through them along with a freedom unlimited. Chase Amazon, and the Ritz Carlton. With those three accounts, I probably had about 35k in credit, so its a loss but I'm actually not upset at all. Only reason I'm posting here is to get answers. When I called they stated the reason was because the income on my applications did not match the income in my chase debit account. I attempted to explain I have two checking accounts. one through Chase and my main one is through a credit union. Has anybody experienced this with Chase? If I may add, I've never been late on any of my credit cards, had one of them for roughly five years. Always paid in full. The checking account I had with them always had at least $6,500 in there. Never let it drop below that. (Stated I have 24 hours to go to a local branch to get my funds or they can mail me a check.) I'm just surprised this occured. I know people are going to ask, and the answer is no. Nothing negative in my credit report changed. Although, clearly they seen something they don't like. Not having good luck with credit cards. Might just close the rest and use cash!Smiley Very Happy   Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your comments.

-Allen

Chase is doing a half a** job investigating. I would call recon and write a letter if you have to and explain the situation and offer to provide pay stubs.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 28 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you all very much for your time and input. After going back and forth with myself, I decided to stop in my local branch and speak to a branch manager. She logged on her system and looked at the notes, stated nothing appeared other than closed. (Obviously) She then proceeded to call someone and they stated that I updated my income on my profile too soon after I opened the Ritz Carlton. Had it a little over a month. So, I guess when I did that I "spooked" them and they thought I was lying about my income. The branch manager said they can't reopen the accounts but I can apply for chase products in six months. So, I'm guessing I'm "blacklisted." For six months. ~Oh happy day~

Well, it's too bad that you can't get your accounts reinstated, but at least you were able to find out what was going on and can apply for another account after a six-month period. I guess the moral of that story is that one should be very careful to make sure one's income information is accurate when filling out an app or update, and also to be careful not to make major changes or updates to one's profile information too soon after opening a new account.

@EDIT: Now that you know what actually happened, I think @sjt's idea is a good one. I'd write that recon letter (with the offer to provide hard-copy documentation of your income so they can see you were telling the truth) and try to contact Chase's EO directly as well - going to an issuer's EO and talking to a live person there sometimes helps in situations like this.

Message 29 of 117
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would write EO and file a complaint with the CFPB out of principal.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 30 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.