New Contributor
nishant1

Chase credit cards do not allow credit balance

My Chase credit card statement balance for last month was $700

My Chase current credit balance is $400 due to holiday gift return credits from merchants.

To avoid any doubts on interest payment if not paid full balance, I tried to pay full statement balance on Chase online, but it does not allow payment which results in credit balance on card.

I have 18 other credit cards and though not for all but for many cards, I did not run into such situation.

As I mentioned in my other post, to pay property taxes of $18,000 to get 6.25% cash back on initial BoA credit card offer of 5% cash  back on everything with 25% bonus, I first paid the credit card and then charged the credit card to avoid high utilization rate with that transaction.

I donot intend to maintain credit balance on all cards but when ran into issue, I want to share my observation.

Valued Contributor
creditnocash

Re: Chase credit cards do not allow credit balance

try pushing through your bank? 

Current: Discover Fico 701 10/14 Walmart Fico 689 9/14

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 3 TU 0 EX 0 | Most Recent: 09/26/2014

2014 Goals:
Lower Utility
47%(OUCH!!)
Freedom Signature

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$2900
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000
New Contributor
nishant1

Good point. I already paid. I will try next time to see whether it works.

Blogger
HiLine

creditnocash wrote:

try pushing through your bank? 

+1

Many other creditors won't let you pay an amount that exceeds the current balance, unless you send them a physical check or an e-check through your bank. 

Established Member
nick125

Yeah, this is pretty common...none of my cards allow me to have a credit balance unless I push the payment through or have a return go through.

Alliant CU (12/11, $2.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $2k); Discover IT (7/12, $3.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $10.3k)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}