Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase credit cards do not allow credit balance

tag
nishant1
New Contributor

Chase credit cards do not allow credit balance

My Chase credit card statement balance for last month was $700

My Chase current credit balance is $400 due to holiday gift return credits from merchants.

To avoid any doubts on interest payment if not paid full balance, I tried to pay full statement balance on Chase online, but it does not allow payment which results in credit balance on card.

I have 18 other credit cards and though not for all but for many cards, I did not run into such situation.

As I mentioned in my other post, to pay property taxes of $18,000 to get 6.25% cash back on initial BoA credit card offer of 5% cash  back on everything with 25% bonus, I first paid the credit card and then charged the credit card to avoid high utilization rate with that transaction.

I donot intend to maintain credit balance on all cards but when ran into issue, I want to share my observation.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase credit cards do not allow credit balance

try pushing through your bank? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 5
nishant1
New Contributor

Good point. I already paid. I will try next time to see whether it works.

Message 3 of 5
HiLine
Blogger

@creditnocash wrote:

try pushing through your bank? 

+1

Many other creditors won't let you pay an amount that exceeds the current balance, unless you send them a physical check or an e-check through your bank. 

Message 4 of 5
nick125
Valued Member

Yeah, this is pretty common...none of my cards allow me to have a credit balance unless I push the payment through or have a return go through.

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.