cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase credit line reallocation and .... account closure?!?!?

tag
ticalc2014
New Contributor

Chase credit line reallocation and .... account closure?!?!?

I sent a message Sunday asking to have some of the available credit from my Amazon.com card transferred over to my Freedom card. I made sure to note, several times, that I did not wish to close my Amazon card, but only to take whatever I could from it, and move it to the other card. After being told several times that I had $992 available to transfer and that the account would remain open (I had a balance of $8, and they wouldn't go under $1,000 remaining), I decided to make a payment to get an even $1,000 available to transfer. Once the payment cleared, I sent a message stating that I wished to confirm the transfer request, as long as I got the new, $1,000 available to transfer, and the Amazon card remained open. I just logged in to read their response, and it shows my Amazon.com account as closed! In the messages going back and forth, I asked no less than 6 times to keep the account open, and only confirmed my transfer request knowing that they said the account would remain open.

I just don't understand how every message can say "keep the account open" and then they still go ahead and close it. Smiley Mad

Needless to say, they've just received another message ....

:::: FICO scores: EX: 747 (7/25/14) ::: EQ: 766 (7/25/14) ::: TU: 761 (7/22/14)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase credit line reallocation and .... account closure?!?!?

@ticalc2014 wrote:

I sent a message Sunday asking to have some of the available credit from my Amazon.com card transferred over to my Freedom card. I made sure to note, several times, that I did not wish to close my Amazon card, but only to take whatever I could from it, and move it to the other card. After being told several times that I had $992 available to transfer and that the account would remain open (I had a balance of $8, and they wouldn't go under $1,000 remaining), I decided to make a payment to get an even $1,000 available to transfer. Once the payment cleared, I sent a message stating that I wished to confirm the transfer request, as long as I got the new, $1,000 available to transfer, and the Amazon card remained open. I just logged in to read their response, and it shows my Amazon.com account as closed! In the messages going back and forth, I asked no less than 6 times to keep the account open, and only confirmed my transfer request knowing that they said the account would remain open.

I just don't understand how every message can say "keep the account open" and then they still go ahead and close it. Smiley Mad

not sure why you would do this through message when you can do it in about 30 seconds via phone.

was your limit $2k with Amazon and you wanted $1k to freedom and leave $1k but they moved all $2k and closed it?

Message 2 of 11
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

For sure, call them up now you might be able to fix it before it's too late.
Message 3 of 11
ticalc2014
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@ticalc2014 wrote:

not sure why you would do this through message when you can do it in about 30 seconds via phone.

was your limit $2k with Amazon and you wanted $1k to freedom and leave $1k but they moved all $2k and closed it?

I generally avoid talking on the phone if at all possible, so the message seemed like a good choice. Also, if using the phone, it's easy to miss something, so I figured it'd be easier to communicate my exact request through the message, so that they can look it over a couple of times if they were confused by my request, rather than trying to think about what they heard. Oddly enough, they only moved $1,500 from my Amazon card, left $500 on it, closed the account, which is nowhere near the "move $1,000 to my Freedom card, leave the other $1,000 on my Amazon card, and keep the Amazon card open" that I requested.

Message 4 of 11
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

seems like calling to explain while they were doing the transfer would've been easier IMO

hopefully you can just call them rather than sending messages and get it corrected.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 11
ticalc2014
New Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

seems like calling to explain while they were doing the transfer would've been easier IMO

hopefully you can just call them rather than sending messages and get it corrected.

It is certainly starting to seem as if a phone call would have been easier. I've now sent 3 responses stating that I never asked to close the account, and have yet to hear back. They've gone from very timely replies, to nothing in a day and a half. What's the point of the message center if they aren't going to do anything about the messages they've received?

Message 6 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I would call. My experience with SM and Chase ended very badly as they only read the title of the SM  and not  the message ... so I also ended up with something I never asked just because they did not read the entire SM. For me no more SM with Chase...too risky Smiley Sad ... by calling you can confirm and make sure it is understood correctly.

Message 7 of 11
ticalc2014
New Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

I would call. My experience with SM and Chase ended very badly as they only read the title of the SM  and not  the message ... so I also ended up with something I never asked just because they did not read the entire SM. For me no more SM with Chase...too risky Smiley Sad ... by calling you can confirm and make sure it is understood correctly.

It's not a huge deal, as I applied for the Amazon rewards card before my Sallie Mae card, simply because of the $60 gift card that came with signing up. Still, it is now two days, and 3 additional messages later, and all of a sudden I can't get a single response? My last message shows as sent, but never even gave a "message acknowledgement" response. It's like they gave me what they wanted to give me (consolidate two accounts into one with $500 less exposure) and now they don't even care enough to send me a response. It worked fine when I was going back and forth trying to get some of the Amazon limit moved over, but once they screwed up, it's like they're just hoping my complaints will go away. I'm too busy this week to really get a chance to call, which is one reason I went with the message center to begin with. For the time being, I'll just keep my Freedom account open, see if my use gets any CLI down the road, and just use it when they have the best cash back available. I doubt I'll really go beyond the $750 monthly cap on the Sallie Mae bookstore rewards, so that should serve my Amazon purposes well enough.

Message 8 of 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@ticalc2014 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

It's not a huge deal, as I applied for the Amazon rewards card before my Sallie Mae card, simply because of the $60 gift card that came with signing up. Still, it is now two days, and 3 additional messages later, and all of a sudden I can't get a single response? My last message shows as sent, but never even gave a "message acknowledgement" response. It's like they gave me what they wanted to give me (consolidate two accounts into one with $500 less exposure) and now they don't even care enough to send me a response. It worked fine when I was going back and forth trying to get some of the Amazon limit moved over, but once they screwed up, it's like they're just hoping my complaints will go away. I'm too busy this week to really get a chance to call, which is one reason I went with the message center to begin with. For the time being, I'll just keep my Freedom account open, see if my use gets any CLI down the road, and just use it when they have the best cash back available. I doubt I'll really go beyond the $750 monthly cap on the Sallie Mae bookstore rewards, so that should serve my Amazon purposes well enough.

Yes Sallie Mae should do the job but still when you get a chance call Chase up.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 11
ticalc2014
New Contributor

Now, on Day 5, I've finally received a response stating that they are "sorry for any inconvience" and that my message has been forwarded to somebody in the correct department. Really? It took 5 days to do that, when it only took a few hours each time when going back and forth requesting the CL move from Amazon to Freedom? I guess they must have gotten REALLY busy just then, that or I broke their system. Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.