Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase denied CLI-Weird Previous Accounf Reason

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase denied CLI-Weird Previous Accounf Reason

So I didn’t think chase blacklisted or remembered things. I applied 18 mo ago for Amazon. Was approved for 4k. Then I applied for AARP about 3 mo later and was approved. $4k. I combined them at 12 mo to one card. ($8k) used that for 6 mo and finally took the hit to ask for a CLI. I got the denial reason and it had two listed . One was too many inquiries (true) and the other was “negative account history with prior chase account”

Should I be concerned? They gave me 2 cards-one at the time was my highest limit. Then they approced me for a second one. So if the old account was an issue would I not have been denied for them?

So Is this a new policy for them or is this a “we need a BS reason because you have a 779 fico and this is what we picked” reason?

TIA
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase denied CLI-Weird Previous Accounf Reason

@Anonymous wrote:
So I didn’t think chase blacklisted or remembered things. I applied 18 mo ago for Amazon. Was approved for 4k. Then I applied for AARP about 3 mo later and was approved. $4k. I combined them at 12 mo to one card. ($8k) used that for 6 mo and finally took the hit to ask for a CLI. I got the denial reason and it had two listed . One was too many inquiries (true) and the other was “negative account history with prior chase account”

Should I be concerned? They gave me 2 cards-one at the time was my highest limit. Then they approced me for a second one. So if the old account was an issue would I not have been denied for them?

So Is this a new policy for them or is this a “we need a BS reason because you have a 779 fico and this is what we picked” reason?

TIA

Chase definitely blacklists and it can rear its ugly head even after a previous approval.  When I first applied for a Chase card about three years ago, it was a Freedom and I was I instantly approved.  Six months or so later, I apply for the United Mileage Explorer and was denied.  Didn't call in but letter came and stated same thing, 'negative account history with Chase'.  I was dumbfounded as I had never had a Chase card previously was too stupid to call in and recon at time.  I figured that it was just a mistake.  Another 3 months or go by and apply for CSP and was denied.  This time I called in because by then I was familiar via these boards about the recon process.  Call in and CSR says same thing, previous bad account.  I told her that had to be a mistake because I never had one of their cards.  Turns out it was an old WAMU card that my ex wife had opened in both our names 21 years earlier that went bad (unknown to me).  Chase had bought out WAMU by then so it was now their account, thus the denial reasons.  After talking to two CSRs they approved me for the minimum $5K only after taking $4500 from my Freedom.  Same issue arose later when I applied for the Ritz and only was approved after 4 recon calls that ended up talking to a JP Morgan CSR.  Now they love me but not then.

What I think happens is that a computer might approve you but if an analyst has to look at it then they review everything.  Have you had some previous account with them?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx for the data. My Amazon Visa And AARP both went to manual reviews. That’s what is strange. I thought if the computer approced me than what you thought was what I did too. But it was manual. Guess I will just wait more time. How long did it take before they stopped that reason for denials?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thx for the data. My Amazon Visa And AARP both went to manual reviews. That’s what is strange. I thought if the computer approced me than what you thought was what I did too. But it was manual. Guess I will just wait more time. How long did it take before they stopped that reason for denials?

After my Ritz approval, so 6 months or so.  I assume once I had enough history with my accounts that removed the denial reason.  It is strange that you were approved on manual review and it wasn't an issue.  Hard to figure out these banks.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very. 2X even (approved on manual)
That’s why it surprised me. Honestly I didn’t even remember I
Had a bad chase account in the past. Made me wonder if it didn’t like the way I pay my current card or because I combined 2 into 1 so fast after the second approval.
I guess I won’t worry about it for now. In a year or so I’ll close the thing if they don’t give me an increase. This card is not that valuable to me.
Message 5 of 8
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I kinda feel like if you're going to have to take a HP anyway, you might as well just apply for another card than go for a CLI.

I never even thought to consider history with old defunct banks that were acquired.  I also had bad history with WAMU almost too long ago to remember.  Thankfully, that hasn't caused a problem with me getting Chase cards now.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s what I did with chase last time. I applied for the AARP. Got my spend bonus, and then combined it with my Amazon Prime. Probably got more of a CLI that way and also got a $150 spend bonus. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Very. 2X even (approved on manual)
That’s why it surprised me. Honestly I didn’t even remember I
Had a bad chase account in the past. Made me wonder if it didn’t like the way I pay my current card or because I combined 2 into 1 so fast after the second approval.
I guess I won’t worry about it for now. In a year or so I’ll close the thing if they don’t give me an increase. This card is not that valuable to me.

It might be worth finding out what previous experience they are talking about.   All the big banks have bought up a whole bunch of smaller banks over the years.   You might find out it is a mistake, or you might be able to provide a good reason.    You never know when Chase might come out with a card that you REALLY want, and it would be good to know how much of a roadblock this is.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.