cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

...Chase deserves to be slapped.

tag
Alcibiades
Contributor

is a Re: ...Chase deserves to be slapped.

Chase can be a bit odd. In May they approved me for my highest limit card (Chase slate, $6,500) with an 15 month BT offer at 0% and a pretty good APR. I applied the same sime for a British Airways VISA and was denied (I'm guessing for too many applications). I bank with Chase and recently I was pushed a Chase Freedom offer after using an ATM (I am assuming preapproved). I am tempted to apply to add another rewards card, but I always assumed Chase didn't allow you to get more than one card in a six month period and I already used the Slate for some balance transfers.

Message 11 of 112
Susyflower
New Contributor

Re: ...Chase deserves to be slapped.

Out of all my credit cards Chase is the only on that has done CLDs. Smiley Mad

Message 12 of 112
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

Chase Perfect card, $2300, is my lowest CL card next to CrapOne. I don't wanna ask anymore because last time they did a hard pull and gave me $300 CLI. WTH? I had few 10k+ cards in my report at that time.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 13 of 112
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on the approval. If you don't mind posting what was the APR they offered on the card? Its alot harder to decrease your initial APR than to increase your CL. I have a Chase Freedom M/C with a never budging 3k limit (I got a "preselected" letter in the snail-mail I responded to a few years ago) suprised me my Fico was a little below 700 at the time. I just checked my online account and my APR hasn't changed either- a little over 13%. I'm not sure what the national average is right now. Anyways I read some other posts and it seems that Chase is being really stingy lately...

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 14 of 112
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

Really, Chase?  Really?  You couldn't even do me the base courtesy of at least matching my LOWEST limit credit card?  I mean it's even lower than my Capital One card was, and that's bad.  I feel like slapping someone.  A person with a 700+ credit score, no derogs on the report they pulled, upper middle class income, util of 14% and a total DTI of 15% can't get more than $500?

By chance, have you frozen one or both of the reports that they didn't pull?

At the time I applied (5/29) there was no freeze; I released Experian once I was able to get access to the report finally.  They pulled Experian, denied me due to the same old BS that Experian always has in perpetuating fraud, and I incorrectly assumed that Chase, in its infinite wisdom, would look at these 7-year-old derogs and the solid otherwise credit history and make the right decision.  That's when I got the two surfer dudes who said they "...agree with the decline". 

Called back, got the young alluring female, I asked them to choose a different bureau, at that time there was no freeze (~6/15).  Both Equifax and Transunion were wide open as both reflect an accurate picture, and I informed Chase of such. They chose Equifax which I'm fine with.  Equifax has the lowest # of inquiries and a fair picture of my credit.  No BK, no derogs.  Last FICO I personally pulled was around 701 or give or take.  My income, without giving figures, was clearly enough for the credit limits outlined below, identified on the credit report.  The only one I think that had not yet reported was Discover; but I don't think that should matter, given Hooters has always been there.

The only thing I can think of was the OptOutPrescreen.com.  I chose to Opt IN.  I got a letter from Experian saying they were opting me OUT and they would "...notify the other bureaus of the request."  Equifax ended up with a fraud alert out of nowhere, I certainly didn't place it, and Chase had to do verifications as a result.  Unfortunately they seem not to allow you to remove fraud alerts over the phone or online, and I work full days and don't have time to be writing letters in this age of technology, plus they're closed on the weekend, so I haven't gotten around to it.

To my knowledge, or at least from my reading, the Chase Slate has no such benefits as with the Chase Freedom.  I didn't necessarily care about that IF the Chase Slate offered a decent credit limit. 

My plan, once I receive the card, is to speak to the card services people and complain about the credit limit.  They don't have to exceed what I've got, but they need to at least match what I've got.  Period.  If they can't do it from the jump, they need to at least assure me that the card is not stuck in credit limit purgatory.  Otherwise I'll tell them to stuff the card.

I'm a little confused.  Did they pull a completely clean report showing no negatives and no BK?  Or did they pull a report showing negatives, and then you asked for a recon based on a different report?  It seems like from your follow-up message that it was the latter.  If that is the case, I imagine that is why they started you off with a low limit. 

In any event, good luck with the CLI request.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 112
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@blacklotus wrote:
Congratulations on the approval. If you don't mind posting what was the APR they offered on the card? Its alot harder to decrease your initial APR than to increase your CL. I have a Chase Freedom M/C with a never budging 3k limit (I got a "preselected" letter in the snail-mail I responded to a few years ago) suprised me my Fico was a little below 700 at the time. I just checked my online account and my APR hasn't changed either- a little over 13%. I'm not sure what the national average is right now. Anyways I read some other posts and it seems that Chase is being really stingy lately...

They have three levels.  13.99, 19.99 (I think) and 21.99.  I got the third.  Which also makes no sense given the credit situation, but I don't ever care about APR because if I do carry a balance it's for a month at the most.

@Walt_K wrote:

I'm a little confused.  Did they pull a completely clean report showing no negatives and no BK?  Or did they pull a report showing negatives, and then you asked for a recon based on a different report?  It seems like from your follow-up message that it was the latter.  If that is the case, I imagine that is why they started you off with a low limit. 

The latter, because I told them that the negatives on Experian were grossly inaccurate, but by that time I had already wasted the inquiry on Experian.  So they offered to pull a different bureau.

I still don't see why that should affect the limit.  The limit should be predicated on what I can and cannot pay on my revolving accounts.  Given I have never missed a payment on any revolving account, and have decent limits on the ones I do have, I would expect that Chase would at least give me $1,000 if nothing else.  Again, I'm not asking much.

And no, I don't have a checking/savings account with Chase.  I did, once.  Last year I believe.  Took the $100 offer.  But then they nailed me with an overlimit fee and an overdraft fee when the account had gotten down before I realized how far.  $70 in fees for one faulty swipe and I was done with Chase.  Not even Citibank does me that dirty.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 16 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@blacklotus wrote:

They have three levels.  13.99, 19.99 (I think) and 21.99.  I got the third.  Which also makes no sense given the credit situation, but I don't ever care about APR because if I do carry a balance it's for a month at the most.

@Walt_K wrote:

The latter, because I told them that the negatives on Experian were grossly inaccurate, but by that time I had already wasted the inquiry on Experian.  So they offered to pull a different bureau.

I still don't see why that should affect the limit.  The limit should be predicated on what I can and cannot pay on my revolving accounts.  Given I have never missed a payment on any revolving account, and have decent limits on the ones I do have, I would expect that Chase would at least give me $1,000 if nothing else.  Again, I'm not asking much.

And no, I don't have a checking/savings account with Chase.  I did, once.  Last year I believe.  Took the $100 offer.  But then they nailed me with an overlimit fee and an overdraft fee when the account had gotten down before I realized how far.  $70 in fees for one faulty swipe and I was done with Chase.  Not even Citibank does me that dirty.

It obviously should effect the limit.  With derogatories on one CR they only have your word that they are inaccurate.  Not that anybody here believes you are dishonest, but probably very few people with well-earned derogatories will 'fess up.  Any reasonable creditor has to doubt one's story when there is uncertainty.

Message 17 of 112
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@blacklotus wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

It obviously should effect the limit.  With derogatories on one CR they only have your word that they are inaccurate.  Not that anybody here believes you are dishonest, but probably very few people with well-earned derogatories will 'fess up.  Any reasonable creditor has to doubt one's story when there is uncertainty.

Then REJECT the recon outright.  Or as I said, match my lowest limit.  Or offer a different card where the limits aren't expected to be high as a counter offer.  Or just do the sky high APR without affecting the amount you lend.

The credit limit is money given based on the expectation that you can pay it back if lent.  Ability to pay is (A) income and (B) current performance on existing accounts, both of which are well over standard, evident by the other cards that well exceed what Chase gave.

Again, I'm going to lay down the ultimatum.  I'm not expecting a 5 figure credit limit.  The card doesn't have anywhere near the benefit offerings to justify such a low limit, period, not given my score and income and other factors.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 18 of 112
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

I get your frustration, I really do. But since you already took a hit for the inquiry and your AAoA, I would just keep it and buy a cup of coffee every few months.

It's still a prime card (just with a crappy limit).

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry but I (respectfully) don't understand the frustration.  The poster states he had a previous savings account (not a credit account I understand but tell me Chase--or any bank--doesn't keep records on customers.)  The OP admits he messed up and lost track of his balance and was hit with overdraft fees or whatever, and now he's coming back and giving Chase an "ultimatum" (his choice of words) on what he believes he deserves as a credit limit?  Why should Chase deal with a situation like this?  Why would you if you were a banker and had hundreds of thousands of other potential customers to chose from who are less demanding?  Why can't we just be happy with what he have?  Credit is not a right or an entitlement in our society. I do not "deserve" credit as an American and a bank is not obligated by law to offer me credit.

<<<Shutting up.

Message 20 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.