Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase fraud!

tag
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Chase fraud!

This is really weird because this just happened 2 months ago and I havn't activated the new card yet, received an email saying did I try to make these charges, $6k as bestbuy and $10k at apple.com, called and new card issued, makes the 3rd card on this account in just a year, wow..

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase fraud!

That fraudster went for the "whole enchilada"!
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unbelievable! How often do you check your accounts?

Message 3 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@willwar14 wrote:

This is really weird because this just happened 2 months ago and I havn't activated the new card yet, received an email saying did I try to make these charges, $6k as bestbuy and $10k at apple.com, called and new card issued, makes the 3rd card on this account in just a year, wow..

Not weird at all.  Access to a card is not required for fraud.  Certainly be careful with your card but don't assume that doing so makes fraud impossible.  My replacement Freedom had fraudulent charges before I received it.

Message 4 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

mobile alerts for any charge over $1.   chase is instant on alerts when card is used online or pos.

but (knock on wood) I have'nt experienced any fraud on any of my cards yet. 

kind of scary they are making such large charges.  i imagine some percentage of these charges aren't caught quick enough and allow the fraudster to grab some merchandise. sux.

Message 5 of 10
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

Not weird at all.  Access to a card is not required for fraud.  Certainly be careful with your card but don't assume that doing so makes fraud impossible.  My replacement Freedom had fraudulent charges before I received it.

That's amazing to me.  Every card I get always has to be activated first before I can use it...  How can they already have fraudulent charges on it before you even get it?

Kinda makes you wonder if there's somebody working inside Chase selling lists.  Or maybe they've been hacked and don't know it yet...

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 6 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

That's amazing to me.  Every card I get always has to be activated first before I can use it...  How can they already have fraudulent charges on it before you even get it?

Kinda makes you wonder if there's somebody working inside Chase selling lists.  Or maybe they've been hacked and don't know it yet...

yeah, that's pretty strange.  definitely not skimmed or breached..  mail man? lol

GF just climed out of bed to a call from PNC.  someone tried to charge $99 at 1am on her CC.  used wrong exp date so charges did'nt go through.  new card issued and on it's way.   jeesh. pretty sure something different needs to happen in the way we are policing this mess.  

Message 7 of 10
willwar14
Valued Contributor

at least once a week. but these charges never went though because, the cl is only 1k, I can only assume..

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

My (repeated) advice:  don't worry about it.   Just check your charges at least once a month.   You are not responsible for any fraud, it's going to keep happening.  

And it happens everywhere in commerce!   The UK is rolling out a new version of its one pouind coin, because apparently 3% of those in circulation are counterfeit  (I was surprised it was so high on a fairly low value instrument!)

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea! I just had fraudulent charges on my Disney Vader, the day before the new Star Wars came out, Strange it's been in the sock drawer for months waiting for the movie. I was also told the charges were swipes at a local grocery store.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.