cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase freedom ,PIF or carry a small Balance??

tag
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase freedom ,PIF or carry a small Balance??

There appears to be a wide range of opinion. Also, different banks treat CLs differently.  One general principle I think is true is that a "high tide raises all boats" or something like that meaning that if you have several credit cards, raising your credit limit in one can help you get higher CLs across the board. For example if you card were to give you a credit limit of 25k then others would be more likely to raise your limit as well. It kinda makes sense from their point of view especially if you appear to have sufficient income and you dont tend to carry high balances. In that case it is almost like the banks are competing for your business. It is a much different situation if you have a lower income and appear to be maxing out your cards. Then you appear to be possibly living above your means and credit companies start to get cold feet and may start even decreasing your limits as you pay your bills... It is hard to figure at times and yes can be a touchy subject. It is always useful imo to look at the situation from the other person's perspective.

Message 21 of 24
enharu
Super Contributor

I think this varies between different lenders and also for different people.

My chase amazon was at 2k CL.
I spent on average 4.8k ok it each month, and paid about as much I spent. Managed to do it by paying in full multiple times in a month. After about a year with the card, I took a HP for a CLI to buy something expensive on the card. Got what I asked for: 8.5k. So that was a sweet increase for me. My CR also got better during then1 year period though.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 24
p-
Valued Contributor

NewBreed wrote:I hear ya, i actually am looking to increase my CL in about a year and a half thats why im on this thread reading, i wanted to know best practice, but i thought to get a CL you have to have low UTIL as well.

Ok, here is what I know for sure:

- Chase will cost you a hard pull for a CLI.

- That decision is based in part on your score and file, which is affected by your utilization, therefore have only 1 card report a balance, and keep overall utility very low (around 3%)

- If declined, you can use the Chase backdoor number to get reconsidered by a credit analyst.

- Credit analysts can see your spending and payment patterns, including whether or not you pay in full every statement cycle. 

- Those credit analysts view paying in full each month as a positive.  Whether it's before statement cut or after doesn't matter.

- It is smart to let at least something post on your statement once or twice each year for all cards to keep them from becoming inactive.

- If other cards have high limits, Chase will usually match or exceed them unless other conditions prevent it.

- If you have a lot of new credit, less than one year old, Chase Credit Analysts will be reluctant to overexpose themselves.

- If you apply, are denied, and recon, even if you don't get it the Credit Analysts will talk to you about what their reasons are, and give you good advice to help you succeed in the next attempt.

If you have decent income, scores, and history, and no new cards in the last year you have a good chance of a high CL with Chase.  Just be prepared to give up a hard pull, and don't be afraid to recon.

Message 23 of 24
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

This is when 0% intro apr works great! Lol
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.