cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase freedom Vs Discover IT

tag
Redneck2009

Chase freedom Vs Discover IT

Hello, new to the forums, looking for good advice on my next credit card!

I have narrowed it down to two cards, Chase freedom and Discover IT, both have great benefits and great reviews, I just cant narrow it down to which card. I Already have another credit card so I dont want to get both. With christmas around the corner it would be easy to spend 500 bucks with chase to get the 200. However aside from that they seem to be pretty even? any other advice you guys can give me? I'm not a big amazon shopper, i know that seems to be a selling point as well. Please help me!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Chase freedom Vs Discover IT

@Redneck2009 wrote:

Hello, new to the forums, looking for good advice on my next credit card!

I have narrowed it down to two cards, Chase freedom and Discover IT, both have great benefits and great reviews, I just cant narrow it down to which card. I Already have another credit card so I dont want to get both. With christmas around the corner it would be easy to spend 500 bucks with chase to get the 200. However aside from that they seem to be pretty even? any other advice you guys can give me? I'm not a big amazon shopper, i know that seems to be a selling point as well. Please help me!

Welcome to the forum

Both are great cards but due to the current promo on Chase I would lean that way 

But we also need more info on your profile before helping 

INQ's the last year?

Scores?

Other TL's?

Cards and Limits?

Baddies?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 22
Redneck2009

according to credit karma....

663 scored, Only because i have a high utilization right now due to recent car problems, vet bills and i bought a laptop on tax free weekend

3 cards (us banks student visa ($1000, $2000 care credit, $1000 best buy credit card)

no baddies, ive been pretty good, I used to have 720 credit report until like i said i did some excessive spending and havent paid the cards back off yet. 88% utilization. other than that, no late payments, no screw ups

hope thats enough?

Message 3 of 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Redneck2009 wrote:

according to credit karma....

663 scored, Only because i have a high utilization right now due to recent car problems, vet bills and i bought a laptop on tax free weekend

3 cards (us banks student visa ($1000, $2000 care credit, $1000 best buy credit card)

no baddies, ive been pretty good, I used to have 720 credit report until like i said i did some excessive spending and havent paid the cards back off yet. 88% utilization. other than that, no late payments, no screw ups

hope thats enough?

CK scores can be 50 points +/- so don't count on those at all 

With UTL at 88% I wouldn't try for either card IMHO 

Chase is good at recon so that's a plus Discover is not 

If you could pay them down that would help but then you would have to wait on CR's to update 

And I'm just assuming you want the card for holiday shopping? Just a guess tho on my part.

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 22
Redneck2009

yes the holiday shopping was definately a perk, thats why i was leaning toward chase was because of the fact you get 200 for spending 500 which during christmas time would be easy to do.

Message 5 of 22
Redneck2009

how long does it take for CR to update?

Message 6 of 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Redneck2009 wrote:

how long does it take for CR to update?

About 2-5 days after statement cuts 

How many INQ's have you had in the last 12 months?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 22
Redneck2009

Message 8 of 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Redneck2009 wrote:

So the only unknown is the Scores and UTL other than that I would say you would be approved if not for those factors 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 22
Redneck2009

i know my utl. I bought the fico trial so tomorrow I will be able to give you accurate scores... i answered one of the verification questions wrong by accident lol

ok second half question. IF i am screwed... my gf needs to start establishing credit. shes 20 with no credit history, will she be approved for ither one?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.