Did you mean: 

Chase freedom + checking

tag
TM82
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase freedom + checking

@Dustink wrote:

@TM82 wrote:
Review the fee structure and if you can maintain the requirements to keep the account free, then go for it.

Many times the blanket answer is to go with a credit union. Credit unions are a fantastic option for many people but myself I'd just rather deal with a larger bank, mainly because I like the options that they give me, the benefits that I get, and I can get everything I could possibly need for free.

I pay my bills online, like the convenience of seeing everything on one platform, don't pay a cent in ATM fees, etc. I like being able to access my account from almost anywhere I go, and because I'm a do it yourself kind of guy, I don't rely on bank staff at all.

Many CU's have those features.

I like my Chase account mainly for the safety deposit box and the 10/10. Otherwise I prefer US Bank, USAA, and NFCU.

I'm sure that some CU's do.  Just I value my time and don't want to open accounts for the sake of opening accounts to try and see if their features are worth it.  I don't keep much in terms of savings either, anything in excess of what I consider to be a 1 day cushion I sweep into my investment account where the return is more than the crummy 0.5-1.0% a CU would get me.  Plus the color Blue is a power color to me.  Smiley Happy

I too like the 10/10, but as I stated earlier it's vanishing from everyone's account, it's just a matter of time when everyone's card gets the changeover.  There's numerous threads about it on other forums. 

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 31 of 44
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

I've GW'd them probably 6 times. Received a few calls from the CEOs office and everything. Not budging. Actually sent out 4 more letters recently so fingers crossed. The account was never in collections or anything. It just shows 30, 60, 90 days late. Account says paid with 0$ balance and closed by lender.
Message 32 of 44
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Hey guys. Not trying to jack the thread, but it seemed like a good place to ask this.

I'm considering switching banks from PNC to Chase because, amazingly enough, Chase has the LEAST amount of fees between the two (at least in my case). I suppose the non-PNC ATM reimbursement I had carried over from my old National City account is nice, but apparently it's not that special a perk anymore. In addition to that, I do have a Chase Freedom Visa to my name. The switch seems like a no-brainer.

But before making the switch, I'd like to hear other members' experiences with Chase. Not just in regards to credit cards, but actual banking.

Positives?

Negatives?

Anything I should be aware of before making the switch?

I have Chase and have always liked their banking features.  I have DD and the Freedom card with them and I don't get charged any fees.  I'm in Michigan and Chase is on every corner here and I like that I can get to them much easier.  I belong to DCU, NFCU and SDFCU and although these are some awesome CU's, the accessibility to a shared CU is not always easy for me since they are not located strategically for me....meaning I have to go out of my to get to a location.

Chase bill pay is great for me as well because once you schedule a payment it is immediately deducted from your account (that is if you schedule say for payment today for Monday).  I also like the fact that you can get the details of your payment if your payor has an issue (not that I have ever had an issue).  You can make deposits with your phone by taking a pic unlike DCU that makes you jump through hoops.  

However, one perk to DCU is their DD which is made available about 2 days prior to payday........yippee!  Other than the deposit issue with DCU it is very good.  Okay back to Chase.  You also get extra points for linking your accounts together.  I want to say its 10% but since I haven't had the card long enough yet I'm not exactly sure how it works.  Perhaps someone else can explain it.  So I would say that I am very satisfied with Chase and don't have one complaint about them.  I've been banking with them for about 3 years and even when I only had their checking account I still had free checking and free bill pay, but I think that is a feature that most banking institutions give to you anyway.

Overall I give Chase 10 on a 1 to 10 scale.  Their customer service has been excellent IMO as well, however I have read that others have had issues with them.  

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 33 of 44
Stralem
Established Contributor

Thanks a lot for the responses. They've been very informative.

I've decided to make the switch to Chase. The account will be more or less free given my usual direct deposit totals, there are far more Chase branches and ATMs in my area (at least TWO within walking distance of my house!), I already have a Chase credit card, and quite frankly, I think this move will simplify things since I can eliminate one entity from my financial ecosystem so to speak.

And call me shallow, but the blue motif is far more attractive than PNC's... whatever they call it.

One last question, though: You guys mentioned a "10/10" that's apparently going away soon... What exactly were you refering to?

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 34 of 44
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Thanks a lot for the responses. They've been very informative.

I've decided to make the switch to Chase. The account will be more or less free given my usual direct deposit totals, there are far more Chase branches and ATMs in my area (at least TWO within walking distance of my house!), I already have a Chase credit card, and quite frankly, I think this move will simplify things since I can eliminate one entity from my financial ecosystem so to speak.

And call me shallow, but the blue motif is far more attractive than PNC's... whatever they call it.

One last question, though: You guys mentioned a "10/10" that's apparently going away soon... What exactly were you refering to?

Bonus rewards on the freedom card. 10% extra and 10 cents per transaction.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 35 of 44
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

I tried to open up a checking account online but was told I couldn't because of my address (I live in Cambridge, MA). Apparently there are no Chase banks around here. Is there any other way I can open up an account. I'm just here for school but my family lives in Chicago can I open up an account when I visit? Would I have to put my mom's address down or can I put my Mass address down? I'm just worried a bit because my freedom card has my MA address. Anybody have any experience with this?

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 36 of 44
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IMO, open it up when you are home to visit in a branch. You are a student and its very common for students to have a permanent address (usually parents) and their school address.
Message 37 of 44
TM82
Regular Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I tried to open up a checking account online but was told I couldn't because of my address (I live in Cambridge, MA). Apparently there are no Chase banks around here. Is there any other way I can open up an account. I'm just here for school but my family lives in Chicago can I open up an account when I visit? Would I have to put my mom's address down or can I put my Mass address down? I'm just worried a bit because my freedom card has my MA address. Anybody have any experience with this?

Open it when you go to visit, don't worry about where your address is.  As long as you open it in a state that has a retail presence, you can put whatever address you want (it'll probably be the one that's on your driver's license). 

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 38 of 44
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Thanks guys, I guess I was worried for no reason. I just wasn't sure how it worked because I'm not a normal student. I mean I'm older, I'm actually 32 and I'm heading into my last year of law school (served 6 yrs in the Army plus earned a masters degree after college). But I'll visit a branch when I visit my mom next week and just open an account there. Thanks again.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 39 of 44
Astraywhit

^mAke sure u bring in ur army id or discharge and ask for military account

Much better then regular and no service fees
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.