cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase freedom or wait?...i want to have another option.

tag
joeaseer
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase freedom or wait?...i want to have another option.

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley LOL 50 years later and still $500 limit , i like too discover more and im thinkin try it too but the problem is my bills just accept visa or mastercard and i want more the card for that and thats why maybe i try freedom more or in any case both. 

I might be downing Chase Freedom but I would suggest the Citi Double Cash card, well as long as you can pay back in full every month. If you can't then you as well go with the Chase Freedom because the sign up bonus. I'd wait until December for them to offer the 200 dollar sign up bonus though.

EQ Score: 784 | TU Score: 758 | EX Score: 760 | Goal Score: 800+
INQ = TU: 1 | EQ: 0 | EX: 4
Utilization: 0% usually or at most 1% - 3%.
Amex BCE (Approved: 11/2015): $24k ($6k SL) | Discover IT (Approved: 07/2015): $16k ($1k SL)
Citi DC WEMC (Approved: 07/2016): $14.5k ($4.6k SL) | Chase SR (Approved: 01/2017): $11k
Chase Freedom Unlimited (Approved: 07/2016): $7.5k | Chase Freedom (Approved: 12/2014): $5k ($500 SL)
Citi Simplicity (Aprroved: 07/2018): $4.5k | Total CL: $82.5k
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

what credit citi usually pull ? and what score is good to try ?

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

the citi card is pretty hard to obtain because citi is very picky on the cleanliness of the report
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

for now the only bad in my credit is student loan lates of april 2013. 

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

then i would hold out based on the plural version of late.
Message 15 of 27
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Try a Capital One card. If anybody grows with its customers, it's Cap One. You could probably get the no-AF Quiksilver, check the prequals. And there's a great number I can PM to talk to an analyst about getting an increase with BofA if you'd like. They helped me grow from a $500 rebuilder card to an $8,000 cash rewards visa signature in 8 months
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

if they got a $500 QS1 then i doubt the QS is on the immediate horizon
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think i try chase , the last time i try was in may and when i call for recon they say about my new accounts and want to see how i manage the accounts for more time , in that time my amazon card was 6 months old and walmart 2 months , in december amazon 1 year and and walmart 9 months. 

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't want to be the elephant in the room, but for Chase, a little more history and experience with credit generally means 2+ years. With very 'thin' credit files like yours, it's possible, but expect high APR and a low limit.

I would wait on Chase for that reason. Like previously stated, you will be stuck with your agreement with Chase for a long time.

Cap1 will grow more with you as you establish credit history. They have products geared more for fair, young credit profiles.

Once you have built a better file, go for the Freedom if that's what you really want. A bit better limit will help your utilization and be more usable than just
a toy limit.

I have above 740 scores and I'm waiting on apping for the Freedom/CSP combo because I want the lowest APR and highest limit with them when I apply. I have even had accounts with them for about 3 years. Now I find that I may be wasting my time on it as I am finding the future benefits lacking. Long story is, hopefully, I won't need diapers for a few more years. Plus a few other reasons.

Over the years though, my Discover IT card, QS and Venture have all grown to over $10,000 limits.

But, as in all things, you need to do what's best for you. Good luck.
Message 19 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Definitely wait on Chase. I will echo what is stated above: once you apply and get that limit and APR, the majority of the time that's it. You're stuck with it. They never budge on APRs and are not big on CLIs. Not that you never can get an auto CLI, but it's pretty rare. Requested CLIs are a HP and often not worth it based on the results I've seen

The point is: get your profile in the best shape it can be before going for a Chase card, because they are pretty inflexible about improving your terms down the road without having to reapply.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.