Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase freedom recon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase freedom recon?

I just applied for chase freedom and got the 10 day message.  I'm new to these message boards and have been reading up on doing a recon.  I've never done a recon before and I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to do one.  

I wasn't expecting an instant approval and figured I'd have to do recon.  I have a few paid CO on my report from 2006 that are set to fall off early in 2013.   The CO are from when I was in college and opened a bunch of credit cards and was irresponsible with them.   A few years ago I started rebuilding my credit.  I have 3 accounts in good standing, always paid on time-Orchard bank, amex zync, and a walmart store card.  They're each over a year old.  The orchard and walmart have high utilization right now since I recently moved out of my parent's house for the first time and I charged a bunch of apartment necessities to them.  I'm trying to pay down the balances now, which is why I applied to chase freedom.  They have a 0% apr for 15 months for BT and  Credit Karma said I'd have  a "good" chance of approval.  

They pulled transunion and I have 3 inquiries on there that are about a year old, and they are all from apartment complexes doing hard pulls.

My tu score that I get from walmart is 672.

Is it worth it for me to do a recon?  And if I do recon, how soon should I do it? Should I wait the 7-10 days or do it in the next couple of days?  

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase freedom recon?

Your score doesn't seem bad. I got a $1000 CLI from chase last week. With a lower score then that but I also spent more then my limit each week. What are your limits? Utl? Is the co paid? If you can get rid of orchard? Doing a recon With that open some banks don't like seeing those types of cards on a report
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 11
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Should of just waited for the COs to fall off in early 2013 which gives Chase one less then to deny you for. Wait for the letter or call in and request for your status. See why you weren't instantly approved.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It never hurts to call and find out.  They'll ask questions about your other accounts and at least you would have a chance to explain what had happened.  Hell I didn't wait for a letter for my Chase Amazon Visa Rewards card, called as the forum members suggested and landed a $1300 cl.  Was very well worth the call.  Will be calling tomorrow to find out about my Chase Freedom.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got denied with a 664 TU with utilization of 45 percent.  She said my score wasn't the factor, my util was.  So if you have low util and a decent score you should try.  Keep in mind I have 0 baddies, AAOA 4 years, oldest almost 11

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I'm kicking myself now.  I knew I should've waited.   All of my CO are paid, but my utilization is at 50% right now.  I was hoping if I was able to do a BT on my cards, that would improve my utilization and my score would improve.  I guess all I can do is wait a few days and call to see if I can explain my situation.  

Message 6 of 11
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

I was able to with a Utl of the same. I got a slate $500 limit changed to freedom after only two statements I got a $1000 CLI. There's hope. Call exec office in Ill tomorrow they will help.
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I went ahead and called today to recon. I spoke with a very nice gentleman. The main thing they were concerned with was a school loan that I had defaulted on in 2006. I explained that at the time I had just finished college and hadn't found a ft job yet and got in over my head with debt. He saw that I'vet maintained my new credit cards well with no lates. Surprisingly he didn't mention the high utilization. He approved me for 1k! I'm so excited that I've taken another step in rebuilding my credit. Thanks for all of the advice!
Message 8 of 11
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Congrats! Awesome job....
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 9 of 11
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

wow congrats another successfull recon with chase

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.