cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase gave me a toy limit on a Freedom; when to ask for CLI?

tag
jj10939
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase gave me a toy limit on a Freedom; when to ask for CLI?

I was approved for a Chase Freedom card about four months ago with an inital credit line of $1500.  I called the backdoor number only to be transfered to a normal rep who explained they would pull my credit again for an increase.  I called the backdoor number again telling the rep I wanted a higher credit line to take advantage of the balance transfer offer.  He looked at my original application and asked how much I wanted.  I shot high for $3500 and he said no problem.

I used the same strategy on my Barclay's MasterCard and I got an increase from $1000 to $4500.  The only way I have ever been able to get a higher credit line on my cards is to tell them I want a balance transfer.  Perhaps they are more willing to increase credit lines when they know they will turn a profit from it? 

JME, hope this helps

Message 11 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

^ Did that result in a hard pull?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 14
jj10939
Regular Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

^ Did that result in a hard pull?

No, I called within three days of getting approved so they used the same credit report from the application. 

Message 13 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

^ Thanks!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.