Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase had to verify payment

tag
rooeez
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase had to verify payment

I've always used the "pull" method as my CU is super small and doesn't have billpay. Never had an issue with any payment. Was it more of an issue of fraud prevention since your wife was out of the normal area? I did recently travel and attempted to put a travel alert via the website and it stated it wasn't needed because it was chip enabled. Weird... and the phone rep thought so also.

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 11 of 19
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Did Chase ever give a reason? Maybe the security alert bar was set a bit high?

I pull. The only time I push is when an annual fee gets billed at the end of the cycle and I would like a zero balance. I have no intention of giving my bank any leverage by taking on the job of paying my bills. And when the respective credit card companies handle it, it's their own mistake if something goes wrong!

Message 12 of 19
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Chase said because I used the account to make a smaller payment on my Freedom then make a larger payment on the FU then made a larger payment on the Freedom again, all over four days. They wanted to verify payment on the FU.  I would have been fine with it had they not credited the payment, then put the hold on.

She's out of town but it's the next state over so it's not that uncommon for someone from my area to be in that state regularly.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 13 of 19
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Was checking on what my wife has spend on my Freedom Unlimited card while at her parents and saw that it listed available credit as $0.  Called Chase and they made me sit on a three way call with my bank to verify that the payment I made had cleared my checking account before releasing the hold.  Looks like Citi is going to be getting more of my swipes for the foreseeable future.

If you like Citi better, go for it. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only ever used the pull method, and push never even occured to me until the other day (even though I push most every other payment). 

Chase is actually the one card that's always been seamless in this matter. Citi made me wait until my first statement posted do a pull online payment.  BOA took forever to verify the account of online payments.  AMEX told me I had to wait 30 days for them to verify an account for online payments (that's what sparked my first foray into pushed CC payments). 

The one thing I don't like about Chase payments is they only let you make one per day. Not a huge deal (and a non-issue for most, I'd imagine), but I pay the same card for personal and business expenses.

Message 15 of 19
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Chase said because I used the account to make a smaller payment on my Freedom then make a larger payment on the FU then made a larger payment on the Freedom again, all over four days. They wanted to verify payment on the FU.  I would have been fine with it had they not credited the payment, then put the hold on.

She's out of town but it's the next state over so it's not that uncommon for someone from my area to be in that state regularly.

The same unfortunate thing happened to a friend yesterday, who is an authorized user on her mother’s card and charged a coffee to keep the card active, so Chase put the card on hold, perhaps because it was assumed that the two live in the same state. Amazing that the bumbling system and/or representative thought it was suspicious and apparently couldn’t figure out it was a local charge and very minimal at that.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover will also put holds. 3 payments max in 10 daysvi believe. It's for security, their side is, why are you making so many payments in such a short time. Which, I get if the CL is small, but that's why this happened. They probably have some sort of limit when making multi payments in a short span. Something you'll just grow out eventually I'm sure
Message 17 of 19
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

So I made a payment on Feb. 3 when my paycheck came in and wanted to use the card over the weekend.  Go in and look Feb.4 and it says the payment went through but no change in the available credit.  OK, I can kind of see that with the weekend. Go back in Feb. 7 and still see no change in available credit so I send a SM.  Receive one back that says they are waiting seven calender days to verify funds are available.  Go in today and see that even though it is day 9 I still don't have any available credit.  

I get it if it happens once.  This is the third payment in a row that they have put a hold on.  Even though they have no problems crediting my Freedom account the same day, all funds are coming out of the same bank account and have for the last year, with no issues.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo wrote:

So I made a payment on Feb. 3 when my paycheck came in and wanted to use the card over the weekend.  Go in and look Feb.4 and it says the payment went through but no change in the available credit.  OK, I can kind of see that with the weekend. Go back in Feb. 7 and still see no change in available credit so I send a SM.  Receive one back that says they are waiting seven calender days to verify funds are available.  Go in today and see that even though it is day 9 I still don't have any available credit.  

I get it if it happens once.  This is the third payment in a row that they have put a hold on.  Even though they have no problems crediting my Freedom account the same day, all funds are coming out of the same bank account and have for the last year, with no issues.

That is very strange. I've had this issue with Capital One in the past. My CL was only  $800 and I my balance was $600. I made one payment for $100 and the next day made a payment for $500. They put a hold on making the  $500 available in my available CL. They wanted to verify that I had the funds in my bank account. I had to do a three way call in order to have my bank verify the funds.

As for making payments on my Chase credit cards - it's always seamess because I make the payments using my Chase checking account so the payment posts instantly and my available credit updates immediately.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.