Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase has me jumping through an impossible hoop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase has me jumping through an impossible hoop

So about 3 weeks ago I got cocky and app'd for a Chase Freedom card which, even though my scores are 743 EQ and 770 TU, I probably won't get because my AAoA is only 1yr 5mo with 2 TL's. Anyway, get a letter today stating they want a copy of my SS card, and proof of address. This wouldn't be a problem if my SS card hadn't been stolen 20 yrs ago and never replaced. I called Chase (the # on the letter. Fraud dept.) and was told copy of SS card or sorry Charlie. They won't accept anything else (tax documents, et al) and I have no idea how long it could take to get a new card. SS admin website won't give any time frame for replacement. UGH. I'm sitting here eyeing a pre-app for Delta Skymiles, but I'm not stupid enough to think Amex wouldn't do the same thing, if not just instantly deny me.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

Re: Chase has me jumping through an impossible hoop

I had to get one replaced a while back. I seem to remember it only taking a week or two to arrive. 
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 2 of 19
emoticon
Valued Member

It's a quick process.  No big deal.  Takes only a week or two.  I got a new card not long ago and was surprised how quickly it arrived.  It's not an impossible hoop, it just seems that way.

Smiley Happy

*US Bank Signature Visa $25,000; *Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Signature $20,000; *BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX $17,500; *Citi Platinum Select MC $13,000; *Discover More $12,000; *PenFed Visa Gold $10,000; *Home Depot $2,200
Message 3 of 19
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The worst part of getting the SS card will be requesting it. Just go ahead and do it. It will be there in no time.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So about 3 weeks ago I got cocky and app'd for a Chase Freedom card which, even though my scores are 743 EQ and 770 TU, I probably won't get because my AAoA is only 1yr 5mo with 2 TL's. Anyway, get a letter today stating they want a copy of my SS card, and proof of address. This wouldn't be a problem if my SS card hadn't been stolen 20 yrs ago and never replaced. I called Chase (the # on the letter. Fraud dept.) and was told copy of SS card or sorry Charlie. They won't accept anything else (tax documents, et al) and I have no idea how long it could take to get a new card. SS admin website won't give any time frame for replacement. UGH. I'm sitting here eyeing a pre-app for Delta Skymiles, but I'm not stupid enough to think Amex wouldn't do the same thing, if not just instantly deny me.

Do you have a SSA satillite office where you live? We have several where I live in Oh. You can go there & request your replacement. They will print out an official document on the spot that says your card is coming with your name & ssn on it, Have used it several times in order to go to the BMV. It is an official govt doument so Chase should use it.

Message 5 of 19
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

SS Card!?!?  I don't recall any institution ever asking to see mine.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 19
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Im almost always required to show proof of address and SS card when I app for a card.  I live in the US currently, however, I have lived abroad for almost all my life and so when I put down an address, its usually been under a year of living there so they require extra docs.  I wouldnt worry

Second, I have lost my SS card as well - Its very easy to go to one of their sat offices and request an replacement.  Ive done it twice as I have a love for putting important documents in places which, later, I cant find. 

Message 7 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Lyythine wrote:

... Ive done it twice as I have a love for putting important documents in places which, later, I cant find. 

Oh, thank you! I thought it was just me.

So you too have a Special Place where you put things, and then you forget where the Special Place is??

I lost my card at some point --probably in my annual changing of my purse --and got another one through the local satellite office. It took maybe 8-9 calendar days. I don't carry it any more. You're advised not to. So I put it in a, er, Special Place. Oh, dear...

It's worth going ahead and ordering now, because you never know when you'll suddenly need it. I had to get a security clearance for my second job, requiring the card, and I almost didn't make the deadline. It's a handy thing to have around.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I'm going out to Brooklyn at the crack of dawn on Monday to see about a replacement. I think I'm mostly baffled that they wouldn't accept a tax doc in place of the SS card since it would have SS#, address, AND income. Weirdos.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

... Ive done it twice as I have a love for putting important documents in places which, later, I cant find. 

Oh, thank you! I thought it was just me.

So you too have a Special Place where you put things, and then you forget where the Special Place is??

I lost my card at some point --probably in my annual changing of my purse --and got another one through the local satellite office. It took maybe 8-9 calendar days. I don't carry it any more. You're advised not to. So I put it in a, er, Special Place. Oh, dear...

It's worth going ahead and ordering now, because you never know when you'll suddenly need it. I had to get a security clearance for my second job, requiring the card, and I almost didn't make the deadline. It's a handy thing to have around.

"It's with the Circus Tickets."

That is our family statement when things get put into that special place that is so safe, not even you can find it.

The story goes like this.  My father grew up in a large family on a farm in Wyoming.  Needless to say they were "dirt" poor and money was hard to come by.  Well, Grandpa (my dad's dad) surprised the family one year with tickets to the traveling circus that was coming to town.  This was such a rare treat that the whole family was so excited.  Grandpa gave the tickets to Grandma, who wanted to make sure they were safe and not lost.  However, when it came time for the circus, Grandma could not remember where that was to save her life.

So, everytime this occurs now, we always say, "I guess it's with the circus tickets." 

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.