cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED (help??) Chase incorrectly shut down account for fraudulent activity. What now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase incorrectly shut down account for fraudulent activity. What now?

My apologies, didn't read carefully. Just wanted to get all the details. I would still try to fight it IMO...should had been a recorded conversation with the CSR and that is all the proof you need. Chase can also call the hotel to confirm you stayed there and had to pay with debit. Don't let them win!
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE 3/20: about a week and a half now until we can reapply. Any attempt to log in was previously met with a message of “your account is closed, call this number” and back to the login screen. This has just changed to a simple “your username and or password is incorrect.” So this means the account was finally deleted, and he’ll be able to use the same email without issue, seems like. We’ve been wondering if he should use an alternate email or not until this change.

Hate to loose the fight for the original account, but good to see things happening that may mean the new application may actually get approved!

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh man, here we go again. New application was placed, got the 7-10 day message, and he received a letter asking for him to cal for verification. He did that and was approved for $7400 over the phone, and the automated status line changed to reflect that. This time it was all his info, didn’t do anything but check the status line, his home address, I’m nowhere on the application, no authorized users.

Four days later (Friday), he gets a call to his house phone telling him to call the fraud dept. He does, and they say that the account is under review, and they can’t access it to tell him what’s going on, just that they’ll call back in 24-48 hours.

This is pretty much what happened last time, any suggestions on what I should tell him to do? Should we specifically ask for a recorded statement that it is, in fact, him? Should we wait quietly this time?
Message 13 of 19
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I think you should give up on Chase for the time being and focus on Amex cards instead.  Don't apply for anything at Chase for at least a year until the dust settles.  

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you asked about going into a branch? You could present the documents/proof there in person. If someone was trying to steal his identity or open a fraudulent account, I doubt they would show up in person. 

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh man, here we go again. New application was placed, got the 7-10 day message, and he received a letter asking for him to cal for verification. He did that and was approved for $7400 over the phone, and the automated status line changed to reflect that. This time it was all his info, didn’t do anything but check the status line, his home address, I’m nowhere on the application, no authorized users.

Four days later (Friday), he gets a call to his house phone telling him to call the fraud dept. He does, and they say that the account is under review, and they can’t access it to tell him what’s going on, just that they’ll call back in 24-48 hours.

This is pretty much what happened last time, any suggestions on what I should tell him to do? Should we specifically ask for a recorded statement that it is, in fact, him? Should we wait quietly this time?

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If he doesn’t hear back by the time he gets home from work, I think we’re going to try that. Our local branch has a notary and everything so it shouldn’t be *that* hard to prove identity in person.

Just baffled that they won’t disclose the issue, and that both times now they fully approve him, mail cards, and only then decide there is a problem. Last time we screwed things up with the hotel, but this time we did nothing, not even create an online account while the cards are in transit.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck, hope all gets resolved.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UPDATED (help??) Chase incorrectly shut down account for fraudulent activity. What now?

alright! We went to a chase branch, and the rep there called Fraud in our behalf after checking some identification documents. It went well, the account was reinstated, and the cards should be here soon with the $7400 CL! We still don’t know what exactly the problem was, but at least he was able to prove his identity in person. 

Fingers crossed all stays well and the card doesn’t lock on the first transaction! Smiley Very Happy were thinking just small, in-store, local purchases for the first billing period to make sure everything is settled. Luckily the next trip isn’t until June and we can use the SPG for that. 

Thank you guys for all the advice about this weird situation!

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UPDATED (help??) Chase incorrectly shut down account for fraudulent activity. What now?

What the hell!!! Are they seeing something on the bureaus? Something in the system must me causing this.

Find the root of the problem.

Congrats on your success!!!
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.