cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase is at it again... closing my last card!

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase is at it again... closing my last card!

@MstrPTato wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Chase isn't "at" anything.  You need to be aware of your creditors' policies regarding closure due to inactivity and maintain minimum activity if you don't want the accounts closed due to inactivity (i.e. be proactive versus reactive).

Does each company have a policy that the consumer can see somewhere?

General rule of thumb is 6 months can cause closure if no use although lenders can go alot I mean alot longer without closure.  Other lenders such as Barclay's have stuff in their T&C's saying non use for 3 months can lead to closure.  So some are clearer then others.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have a handfull of cards i don't use but like to keep due to their age and high credit lines. a few times a year i put them all in my wallet and charge something onto them. anything. paeking meters, pay for my morning coffee, pay for my mass transit pass, etc. usually in the $0.25 to $10 range in charges. that keeps my accounts from closing. i've been doing that with my AmEx clear for like 6 years now. 

as for the WaMu cards, my Chase freedon was also a WaMu credit card at one point. i opened it back in 2006. it was converted to a plain, no frills Chase VISA in early 2009 than I did a PC to Freedom in 2013. they didn't threaten to close it though.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I run my VISA/MC cards through the mill once a year just to keep them open as well.

Store cards I just let them close themselves so I can SCT them again.

Message 13 of 17
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@PCR20 wrote:

Today I received a nice letter from Chase telling me they are going to close my last Chase Card when it expires in two months because I haven't used it in two years.

I use to have 3 Chase Cards, but they closed two of them while I was on vacation a few years back for no reason other than that they were originally Washington Mutual cards.

After they did that I was not comfortable carrying their card because who knows when they would go ahead and close the last one.

It's no fun having your card rejected at a Hotel / Restaurant while on vacation....

I'm not surprised about this, other than why they waited so long.

What did surprise me is that the letter clearly states that although the reason for closing it was non-use, they will not keep it open even if I start to use it again!

Go figure!

You high credit score types are all the same. only using one ot two credit cards..... my parents did this and have had multiple cards closed due to inactivity. Chase closed a 20K card after 8 years of non use and she only found out through creditkarma..... lost the card somwhere and forgot about it. 

You always, always have to put spend on any card you want to keep. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why SCT them again if you are going to let them close?
Message 15 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Why if you carry a balance for 9+ months with on time payments and no use will that cause account closure?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 16 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Why if you carry a balance for 9+ months with on time payments and no use will that cause account closure?

Was that the case, don't believe it was in this scenario.  Doubt that will result in a closure unless you are paying mins payments.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.