Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase is driving me insane

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase is driving me insane

@IrishPM wrote:

I can empathize....I applied for and received a Chase United Airlines ExplorerClub Visa Signature Card last November (2013) and was approved with a CL of $7,000...by March 2014, after spending $2k to get the mileage bonus and paying off the entire balance to zero, I checked my account online and they chopped my CL from $7k to $1,600....I called them to ask them what happened and they said because I'm over 30% utilization with all my other cards combined that their "risk model" forces them to lower your credit line...I accepted their explanation and threw the card in the drawer...I'll never use it again...I've got better cards in my wallet to be fooling around with a $1,600 CL which only benefits me if I use it buying an airline fare through United...I'll use my AMEX Gold Premier Rewards and get 3X the rewards that I can actually use....

doesn't that card have like a $400 dollar AF? I would PC it to the Freedom or whatever so if you don't want to cancel it and hurt util % but won't have to pay that AF

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 21 of 31
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@IrishPM wrote:

I can empathize....I applied for and received a Chase United Airlines ExplorerClub Visa Signature Card last November (2013) and was approved with a CL of $7,000...by March 2014, after spending $2k to get the mileage bonus and paying off the entire balance to zero, I checked my account online and they chopped my CL from $7k to $1,600....I called them to ask them what happened and they said because I'm over 30% utilization with all my other cards combined that their "risk model" forces them to lower your credit line...I accepted their explanation and threw the card in the drawer...I'll never use it again...I've got better cards in my wallet to be fooling around with a $1,600 CL which only benefits me if I use it buying an airline fare through United...I'll use my AMEX Gold Premier Rewards and get 3X the rewards that I can actually use....

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china?? 

I opted out of those mailings/offers about 4-5 years ago now after getting tired of having to shred all offers. Those blank checks are scary, "you're pre-approved! just cash these checks and blah blah!"  Funny thing now is when I go to a website and try the pre-qual, they don't work. I get an error message relating to my privacy requests. Opting out does work great though. No junk mail and I'm saving lots of trees! Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 31
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@xerostatus wrote:

Er, if you don't want prescreened offers, opt-out.

/thread

I tend to agree. I opted out of prescreened offers permanently and also froze my credit reports under state legislation so even if a random offer were sent and ended up in another mailbox I wouldn't have much to worry about as the chances of them opening credit in my name is slim to none.

Opt-out and freeze = financial security

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 31
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@mrgoattoo wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

Maybe I am confused but what is the big deal about getting these apps.   The person who gets it would still need to have other info in order to apply with your name I have never gotten a preapproval with me SS number on them you would still need to input some info before they can process the app.  Some CCC will even ask you question about things on your CR like amount of mortgage, or car payment what bank is it with.

Funny is I see people complain on here when they aren't getting any pre-approvals.

Not sure if I made it clear enough...the problem isnt so much getting them....its that my mail OFTEN gets into other peoples boxes.

Citibank sent me blank checks one time and another tenant got them in their box and thank God they were honest and took my mail to the front office because I have a 10k limit on that card.

I understand your point BUT would you REALLY want someone getting hold of your pre appproved CC application?

You may be ok with it but obviously Im not.

Chase should honor a request to stop harassing someone who doesnt want their CC.

Smiley Happy

Sorry I am glad you cleared that up that it is Citibanks fault that the mail gets into other people boxes.  It makes perfect sense now. 

Your right I wouln't want someone getting my pre-approved applications because then they would know your name and address which for most people is highly secretive stuff that can only be obtained with NSA level 15 clearance. 

Message 24 of 31
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

The AF is $85....good suggestion you have about PC'ing this card....thanks

Message 25 of 31
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china?? ......I was responding to the topic at hand...."Chase is driving me insane"...in other words, I had issues with Chase too....if you're tryng to be a smart ass, I can appreciate that...however, try reading my post again and the "issue" I have with Chase...it may not be the "same" issue but it's an issue nonetheless....

Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll list the sites I have gone through to reduce spam, solicted CC offers etc... I have signed up with all of them and it has worked so far. It worked so well I accidently cancelled a local market flyer so now have to check it online.

Credit cards - https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

Misc opt outs: http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

Catalogs/Mags: https://www.dmachoice.org/

Trusted ID another catalog, phonebook, circular, coupons etc...opt out: https://www.catalogchoice.org/

Article explaining how to opt out with most the links I posted: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-banish-junk-mail-from-your-real-world-mailbox-1569005690

Message 27 of 31
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Preapproved things don't have your social security number or birthdate, which would be used to find the credit report if someone applied without you knowing.

Message 28 of 31
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

@IrishPM wrote:

citibank keeps trying to throw money at me. I had to tell them that $10k was more than I'll ever need because they kept bumping up the CL. I started with $2k and it just kept climing fromthere.

Barclays has been doing the same thing, its at $7500 right now.

TU FICO average 819
Message 29 of 31
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

Lmaooo I can't believe someone is complaining about this. I would kill to get JUST ONE of those preapproved mails. Arghhh I stay everyday hoping and praying one of these CCCs remember me and put something across in the mail or online. I wish I was u OP lool. Let's switch names & addresses! On a side note though, I'm glad u took the last measure by opting out.... Give it a few months and it will cease entirely

Yeah, its really only a problem because of worrying about anything they send getting into someone elses box.

Im fairly OCD about my credit so thats one more thing I dont want to be obsessing about Smiley Very Happy

TU FICO average 819
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.