Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase is so stingy !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase is so stingy !

Well, that's a decision you have to make.  How much you run through the Slate is completely up to you.  For your best chance at a decent CLI though, you'll want to show heavy usage on it for at least a cycle, if not two.  You may miss out on some rewards from other cards in order to make this happen, but that's the price you pay to increase your chances for the CLI.  Otherwise you get what you get, which evidently isn't anything. 

I'm not sure why you're all too concerned about it though as you've stated that it's more or less like a debit card, you get rewards from other cards, you barely if ever use it suggesting you hadn't used it in over a year.  Perhaps considering just closing the account would be worthwhile if it's only going to give you a constant headache.

Message 21 of 44
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Or product change it into a freedom unlimited. Then you get rewards, and have reason to use.
Signature needs updating
Message 22 of 44
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Or product change it into a freedom unlimited. Then you get rewards, and have reason to use.

But if the OP can take a hit of HP. wouldnt it just be better off to flat out APP for the FU . and get the bonus, and possibly a higher CL.... if not in a bit they could transfer the limit from the slate to the FU or vice versa for a BT..

Message 23 of 44
Gmood1
Super Contributor

My slate never grew either in the 8 years I had it. I closed it and merged it with the Freedom.
Not sure if it still works, but double apping and consolidations are where it's at with Chase.
That's the quickest way to get the limit where you want it. It took me less than 6 months to turn that $1500 Slate into $46,000.
The HPs are done and over with. I won't be requesting any CLI's from them for life.
Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that I used to get unsolicited CLI offers in the mail from Chase pretty regularly (every 2-3 months) when I carried a balance on one of my cards about 60-70%. Now that I'm at PIF on all my cards the offers have ceased (last one I received was in Dec). I never accepted the offers (wanted to get the cards paid off, not spend more with a higher limit) so I can't tell you if they would have been a HP if I accepted. So you could try an carry a balance, making regular payments without PIF, and see if they start sending you those offers. Unfortunately you'll have to pay interest to see if that works and there's no guarantee that it isn't a HP.

Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Good thread....
Sounds like the sock drawer for my slate and it's 2,000 cl !
The kicker is that I applied hoping to BT
more than that.

I'm in the same boat. But they only gave me a CLI of 500...

Message 26 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure why you're all too concerned about it though as you've stated that it's more or less like a debit card, you get rewards from other cards, you barely if ever use it suggesting you hadn't used it in over a year.  Perhaps considering just closing the account would be worthwhile if it's only going to give you a constant headache.

That was my thought too when I first read it.   Some people seem to want high limits on all of their cards, which really isn't  needed, especially with no/low rewards card like Slate.  And, as in this case, it may be hard to do.   SO just forget it, close it  or PC it is possible.

Message 27 of 44
HighScoreSeeker
Established Member

I agree. My Chase Visa was one of my first credit cards. It wasn't initially with Chase but was transferred through the banks bailout/buyouts. It's since been changed to Chase Slate. I still have my original $500 credit limit. I don't really use it aside from buying starbucks maybe once or twice a year to keep it active. Until recently (after finding these forums) I hadn't thought about requesting a CLI. All my other cards (with the exception of Barclay) have auto CLI. I thought about closing it since the limit is so low but its my oldest credit card now. I'm in the garden club so I'm not taking a hard pull to request they increase the limit.

Goal: 5/1/21 Acheived! 800+ Across the Board | Current Scores 5/17/21 - EQ: 803 TU: 822 EX: 807
Message 28 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on all of your successes!!
Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@p- wrote:

Chase has been weird.  I had to go the exec route to get my Freedom changed to a Signature, and they consistently lagged behind Cap1 in credit limits.  Then, when my scores were over 800 suddenly they were happy to give me a bump up to 20k on the Freedom, and gave me instant approval on the Vader card for 25k soon after.  

I think it helps that I use it a lot and PIF every month.  A few years ago I called a credit analyst at their recon line when they denied me for a CLI, and she was very forthcoming about why and what they looked for.  She mentioned it was a positivbe that I PIF every month, despite what I've heard about card companies prefering us to carry balances so that they can earn interest.  The thing that kept me from the increase back then was too much recent credit.  She said that if a person has a lot of new credit, or credit increases, Chase prefers to wait and see how they handle it before jumping in with a higher limit.  She suggested I let it age to 6 months or a year, and try again.  She was right.

In retrospect, what she said makes sense.  Chase wants to see a long history of responsible credit use before they are willing to risk a high limit.  They don't seem willing to hand out a lot of small increases like CAp1, but when they finally do, it's a good bump.

Good information. Thanks for the insight.

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.