Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase jumps on Hold bandwagon

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Chase jumps on Hold bandwagon

I have a $612 payment to Chase that cleared my bank on 11/15.  They still had a hold on it.  I had to talk to supervisor to get it released.  They gave me crap and speculated that maybe my account was a problem account or I bounced checks to them before.  Nope sorry, never happened and this account is only 2 months old.  Seems that card companies really dont like you paying large payments on new accounts.  I think the PIF confuses their computers.

Frustrating as hell as I wanted it to be cleared up so I can use at Best Buy tomorrow.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase jumps on Hold bandwagon

Sorry to hear. I hope that doesn't happen to me next month when I pay a rather large payment on my one month old Chase card to PIF what I have charged so far.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

They just aren't showing you any luv are they? First cap one now this?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 8
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

I have a $612 payment to Chase that cleared my bank on 11/15.  They still had a hold on it.  I had to talk to supervisor to get it released.  They gave me crap and speculated that maybe my account was a problem account or I bounced checks to them before.  Nope sorry, never happened and this account is only 2 months old.  Seems that card companies really dont like you paying large payments on new accounts.  I think the PIF confuses their computers.

Frustrating as hell as I wanted it to be cleared up so I can use at Best Buy tomorrow.

This is really an anti-fraud measure and is pretty common on new accounts. It's kinda like how quickly a bank will make available a check you deposit. There are regulatory limits but after you have been a customer and they have a track record their computers will generally make new deposits immediately available. It's pretty automated these days. CCs are somewhat different but there is significant growth of fraud involving CCs that are pif but the payments, which initially go through, are revoked days, or even weeks later. With CCs this tends to be temporary as most fraudsters open accounts but don't use them until the fraud occurs then it's with big, pif amounts followed by near max purchases, rinse and repeat as much as possible inside a billing cycle.

FICO.COM's banking analytics blog provides a lot of insight into what banks are dealing with and how they try to limit this kind of fraud but as one technique gets closed down fraudsters just find other cracks. Us customers have to deal with the side affects and policies they impliment in this evolutionary process..

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 4 of 8
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

So my spending patterns mimic those of a criminal. Great /sarcasm

Message 5 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
So my spending patterns mimic those of a criminal. Great /sarcasm

Large payment with new account can be a sign for credit card fraud or money laundering. A lot of people experienced this, not just you.

Message 6 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Maybe there is something wrong with the bank you use? The first payment I made to PNC was over 5000 and there was no hold. Chase was around 2000 and no hold. Most of the first payments I made to all of the issuers were in the thousands and no holds were placed.

You could try pushing the payment from the bank, instead of pulling it from the website, if that is what you are doing.

Message 7 of 8
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Its not likely my bank as they all have cleared my bank within a day of posting payment.  My bank doesnt have a good push payment system.  I just started checking with NFCU and left my bank so I need to see what options they have.  Regardless, I shouldnt have to push a payment through to get it to clear and properly post to my account.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.