Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase large international purchase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase large international purchase

Hi,

I am planing on buying my parents a gift for their 30th anniversary. They live in Romania and there is a website - I would say the Romanian equivalent of Amazon. I plan on spending around $1,000 (I want to get them a new fridge, oven etc). Should I call Chase before I plan on charge the credit card?

Any previous experiences?

I have the Chase Sapphire Preffered and there is no international fees on using it.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase large international purchase

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I am planing on buying my parents a gift for their 30th anniversary. They live in Romania and there is a website - I would say the Romanian equivalent of Amazon. I plan on spending around $1,000 (I want to get them a new fridge, oven etc). Should I call Chase before I plan on charge the credit card?

I have the Chase Sapphire Preffered and there is no international fees on using it.  

I would attempt to make the purchase and if it goes through you should be good to go.  If not then call.  There is a fair chance that you will end up with a fraud hold which can be cleared real simply with a call.  I tired to use the Amazon India site over the weekend to get a new born baby gift for a programmer I use in India and neither my CapOne card or Chase card would work.  Apparently there are only some bank cards that can be used in India.  Not sure of Romania. 

Message 2 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I would attempt to make the purchase and if it goes through you should be good to go.  If not then call.  There is a fair chance that you will end up with a fraud hold which can be cleared real simply with a call.  I tired to use the Amazon India site over the weekend to get a new born baby gift for a programmer I use in India and neither my CapOne card or Chase card would work.  Apparently there are only some bank cards that can be used in India.  Not sure of Romania. 

I suggest calling in advance. I once had that issue with CSP over a slightly smaller purchase from a large domestic website. I used the card twice, the merchant initially accepted it, and I got "invalid card" emails from the merchant hours after each attempt.

Annoyingly, I had to call Chase to find out what was going on. They didn't call or email me. It was just one isolated case early on, and I've had 2.5 years of otherwise smooth sailing with light/moderate use of the card.

I should mention that if you have a no-FTF Amex, you might consider that. Amex has a reputation for allowing very unusual purchases to go through smoothly, and my experience supports that.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely recommend using a non-FTF card otherwise you'll get hit with a $30 FTF
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the replies. I do not have an Amex in my wallet at the moment, but planing on getting one in like 1 year. At the moment in full gardening mode.

So, I called them and I let them know. When I made the purchse in like 5 seconds I got an email from Fraud Department asking me if I made the purchase. I hit YES and the transaction was approved. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to see everything worked out for you.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.