Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase missed a fraud on my card

tag
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: Chase missed a fraud on my card

Just another reminder never to count on anyone or anything else to keep your accounts safe.  Everyone should be checking their accounts personally on a regular basis.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

Wow! Chase really dropped the ball. I'm sorry for your hassle.

Thanks. It was annoying, but its not like they are demanding I pay that amount. I'm just glad my trip wasn't going longer where I needed that card some more. Between that charge and my other charges the card was getting close to being maxed out and I could have got a decline if I needed to stay additional hotel nights. Then I would have been really angry. As it is I am just disappointed in Chase. Looking at the map this store in PA is not far from Philadelphia which I visited like a month ago. Looking at the charges I made there was only one location where the card left my possession and that was a TGIF in Pjhilly. I believe the server likely stole my card information since he had time to write down the info. Everywhere else the card was swiped in front of me and I didn't use the card at any locations where there could be a skimmer setup. I suppose it could have been swiped somewhere else, but since it was used outside of Philly and only one person has ever been alone with my card I believe that guy was the likely thief. I'm wondering if I should call Chase back and let them know my suspicions. I'm sure if he did it then he has done it before and maybe they could check for a pattern with people who used cards at that location that subsequently had fraudlent transactions. What is also interesting is that there was no small charge first like you usually see. It was one massive charge out of the blue which leads me to believe that they knew the card was already working vs doing a small transaction to test it out first to see if there is a decline. 

That is entirely possible and I'm sorry you had to go through this.

You could perhaps contact the owner of that TGIF and see if he could check surveillance to see if the server in question is seen doing anything strange with your card.

Surveillance footage is usually deleted/overwritten by businessowners after a certain amount of time if there's no reason to keep or review footage, so it's best to try to ask as soon as you can.

Message 12 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

a cc company detecting fraud can be a blessing or a curse. if they did detect it they would have shut you down in japan. at which point you better have a back up card. 

the important part is that they removed the charge from your account. 

Oh of course I had multiple backup cards when overseas with different lenders. It would have sucked though because the marriott card should be the one used for marriott hotel bookings due to the bonus categories. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

Just another reminder never to count on anyone or anything else to keep your accounts safe.  Everyone should be checking their accounts personally on a regular basis.

Yes I typically review mine once a week. Unfortunatly, this happened when i was overseas so it must have cleared right before I checked. 

;
Message 14 of 23
nitrov
Established Contributor

I just had fraud on my Chase Marriott card as well and Chase didn't catch it, I did...5 days later. I went shopping at the mall and made several purchases over Memorial Day weekend so I figured I would check my account after the weekend when everything posted and I realized my balance was a lot higher than I actually spent. Come to realize there was about $600 worth of fraudulent purchases from places I've never been to within 30-90 minute drives of where I live. I had purchased gas the day before the fraud happened, so I'm not sure if I was the victim of a skimmer at the gas pump, but I was very upset Chase didn't catch the fraud before I did.

Not only did they NOT catch the fraud, but when I called to report it, they said it would take 2 weeks for me to get another replacement card. Seriously? I was going to be traveling the next week and didn't want a credit card sitting in my mailbox unattended, so they said they would expedite it for 2-3 business day delivery. After the 4th business day with no card, I called them and they said the person messed up and sent it regular mail. I didn't get the card for almost 2.5 weeks. I had fraud with my Citi Prestige card and they caught it immediately PLUS overnighted me a replacement card without me having to even ask for it. My experiences with Citi vs. Chase couldn't have been any more different. I was VERY disappointed with Chase. 

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately it's the merchant that will lose the money. Unless the signature on receipt matches urs. Most places now doesn't even ask for ID or check signature. Think it's time to swipe ID than credit card to make sure it's ok

Message 16 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately it's the merchant that will lose the money. Unless the signature on receipt matches urs. Most places now doesn't even ask for ID or check signature. Think it's time to swipe ID than credit card to make sure it's ok

I was reading an article that was saying that the merchant is liable if they only accept swipes and don't do the charge using the chip. Obviously since I have the card the person who did the charge did it via a swipe. I have a hard time feeling any pity for a merchant who does not utilize up to date security measures, especially on such a large charge. Maybe this will teach them to upgrade. 

;
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was reading an article that was saying that the merchant is liable if they only accept swipes and don't do the charge using the chip. Obviously since I have the card the person who did the charge did it via a swipe. I have a hard time feeling any pity for a merchant who does not utilize up to date security measures, especially on such a large charge. Maybe this will teach them to upgrade. 

How do you know that the charge was made in person and not online?

Message 18 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you know that the charge was made in person and not online?

It says it was made in person on my statement. 

;
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to offer unsolicited advice. But reasons like this are why it's important to have backup payments methods. I always carry at least 3 cards, each from different banks.  Even If I'm just going down the street.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.