cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase not applying extra payment to highest rate balances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase not applying extra payment to highest rate balances?

I just received my credit card statement from Chase.  I had an existing balance transfer at a low rate combined with some recent purchases at A higher APR.  I noticed that my extra payments were not being applied to the highest rate balances.

Isn't this practice outlawed as of Feb 2010?  Has anyone else ecperienced this?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase not applying extra payment to highest rate balances?

Call customer service and find out why the extra payments weren't applied to the balance with the highest APR.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Chase is ignoring the CARD Act all over the place?

Message 3 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I just received my credit card statement from Chase.  I had an existing balance transfer at a low rate combined with some recent purchases at A higher APR.  I noticed that my extra payments were not being applied to the highest rate balances.

Was the interest deferred for a period of time on the BT balance, and did the deferred interest period recently expire?  According to my read of the Credit CARD Act, payments in excess of the minimum payment are supposed to be applied to the part of the balance on which the interest was deferred, without regard to the interest rate.

I could be reading it wrong - I find legalese to be very cumbersome to understand.  So here's the text; someone let me know if I'm interpreting the law incorrectly.

Sec. 164(b) Application of Payments-

(1) IN GENERAL- Upon receipt of a payment from a cardholder, the card issuer shall apply amounts in excess of the minimum payment amount first to the card balance bearing the highest rate of interest, and then to each successive balance bearing the next highest rate of interest, until the payment is exhausted.

(2) CLARIFICATION RELATING TO CERTAIN DEFERRED INTEREST ARRANGEMENTS- A creditor shall allocate the entire amount paid by the consumer in excess of the minimum payment amount to a balance on which interest is deferred during the last 2 billing cycles immediately preceding the expiration of the period during which interest is deferred.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Was the interest deferred for a period of time on the BT balance, and did the deferred interest period recently expire?  According to my read of the Credit CARD Act, payments in excess of the minimum payment are supposed to be applied to the part of the balance on which the interest was deferred, without regard to the interest rate.

I could be reading it wrong - I find legalese to be very cumbersome to understand.  So here's the text; someone let me know if I'm interpreting the law incorrectly.

Sec. 164(b) Application of Payments-

(1) IN GENERAL- Upon receipt of a payment from a cardholder, the card issuer shall apply amounts in excess of the minimum payment amount first to the card balance bearing the highest rate of interest, and then to each successive balance bearing the next highest rate of interest, until the payment is exhausted.

(2) CLARIFICATION RELATING TO CERTAIN DEFERRED INTEREST ARRANGEMENTS- A creditor shall allocate the entire amount paid by the consumer in excess of the minimum payment amount to a balance on which interest is deferred during the last 2 billing cycles immediately preceding the expiration of the period during which interest is deferred.

Hi, Lel.  Do you have a link to the entire CARD Act?  

Message 5 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

Try this link:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-627

Thank you.  Now I have it bookmarked.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer the question about deferred interest rate:

No,  none the the balance is deferred interest of any kind, just a simple promotional rate I had used for a balance transfer about a year ago.

Message 8 of 9
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Dgtown;

This is my understanding how payments are applied.

Example only:  Minimum payment is $100.00 dollars. Interest for this period is $10.00.

Creditor will subtract $10.00 (Interest) from minimum payment of $100.00 leaving $90.00 to be applied to the lowest APR.

If you make any payments in excess of the $100.00, the excess must now be applied to the highest APR.

As bakalao2k suggested, call customer service for an explanation.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.