Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase not freeing up credit

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Chase not freeing up credit

Just an update. I spoke with Chase today and they contacted my bank to confirm the payment has cleared and subsequently freed up my credit. Unfortunatly, they indicated this will continue to happen for the first four months of the card and they were unable to tell me what amounts of payment would trigger a hold. So I suggested that I just make smaller payments to avoid having my credit frozen. Then I was advised if I make multiple smaller payments like three small payments that can also trigger a hold on my credit. The only suggestion they had was that I could ask for  CLI, but of course that would require a HP which I am not willing to take. This puts me in a tough position because I have upcoming travel plans and a number of expenses I wanted to put through my chase card, but if they are going to freeze my credit up like this for a week and a half at time I'm not going to be able to use it throughout my trip. I'm really disappointed that Chase wasn't willing to work something out, especially after I've already put 4-5k through on the card and PIF prior to the due date. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

Can you push payments from your bank bill pay to Chase? would that show up right away?( i mean within a couple of days)

Message 12 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

My payments are electronic debits directly from my bank account. Normally its credited the same day if I make payment by 8pm. The problem is chase in certain situations will drop a hold for a week and a half even if the money is readily available. If I had a chase account I probably wouldn't run into issue but I'm not opening an account with them just to pay credit cards. Maybe it would be quicker if I paid in cash, but that would require going down to the branch carrying a large amount of cash (after having withdrawn it from my bank) and thats not really feasible either. In the end if it happens again and I need access to the credit I will have to repeat the whole process of having chase call my bank to confirm the funds cleared.  

;
Message 13 of 19
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

My payments are electronic debits directly from my bank account. Normally its credited the same day if I make payment by 8pm. The problem is chase in certain situations will drop a hold for a week and a half even if the money is readily available. If I had a chase account I probably wouldn't run into issue but I'm not opening an account with them just to pay credit cards. Maybe it would be quicker if I paid in cash, but that would require going down to the branch carrying a large amount of cash (after having withdrawn it from my bank) and thats not really feasible either. In the end if it happens again and I need access to the credit I will have to repeat the whole process of having chase call my bank to confirm the funds cleared.  

If you're doing it from Chase's site, you're doing a "pull" payment.

Does your bank offer an online bill pay service? Those are "push" services and payments made that way tend to free up credit a lot quicker because it's initiated from the bank...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 14 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

@red259 wrote:

If you're doing it from Chase's site, you're doing a "pull" payment.

Does your bank offer an online bill pay service? Those are "push" services and payments made that way tend to free up credit a lot quicker because it's intiated from the bank...

Yes thats what I was trying to say

Message 15 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

I will look into a push service and see if that helps avoid/shortens the holds. 

;
Message 16 of 19
noobody
Established Contributor

for example your CL is $2000 and have $300 balance

push a payment of $1300 before you make any purchase.

after a week or 10 days

your will have a credit balance of $1000, and your available credit is STILL 2000.

then you make a purchase of 800, your available CL will be reduce to 1200 until charge is POST, at that time your will have a credit balance of 200 and available credit will go back to 2000.

from purchase to post usually take 2-3 days, much faster than the hold time you have right now

it may be too late to help now, but if you plan ahead 2 weeks, it may work

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 17 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:

for example your CL is $2000 and have $300 balance

push a payment of $1300 before you make any purchase.

after a week or 10 days

your will have a credit balance of $1000, and your available credit is STILL 2000.

then you make a purchase of 800, your available CL will be reduce to 1200 until charge is POST, at that time your will have a credit balance of 200 and available credit will go back to 2000.

from purchase to post usually take 2-3 days, much faster than the hold time you have right now

it may be too late to help now, but if you plan ahead 2 weeks, it may work

Hmm. I will have to give this a try. If paying through the chase site I know they limit the amount I can prepay. 

;
Message 18 of 19
Marcos8
Established Contributor

After dealing with this multiple times with BoA, Chase, and Cap1, I simply give them a call prior to any larger payment or anything different than what my pay pattern usually is, and let them know that I initiated a payment and to please not put any holds on the account. I dealt with this on the first few days of my honeymoon as I wanted my cards clear so I sent in larger payments. A quick phone call was all that was needed.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.