cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase or AMEX? Plus, a ton of questions!

tag
ras_34
Established Member

Chase or AMEX? Plus, a ton of questions!

Hello all!  I am seeking advice on whether to apply for an AMEX BCE/AMEX BLUE SKY or the MARRIOTT PREMIER from Chase or both.  My reasoning for wanting an Amex in general is for the generous credit limits that they seem to give plus the possibility of the 61 day 3x credit increase.  Also, I can backdate my AMEX to 2011 which should not hurt my AAoA.  I am torn between the BCE and the BLUE SKY due to the fact that I have 2 cashback cards already and really dont have a miles or hotel rewards card.  I ultimately would like both cards(AMEX AND CHASE) but my ultimate goal is to get 2 high limit cards.  Unfortunately I am not eligible for NFCU. Smiley Sad  I have heard that co-branded cards such as the MPR tend to give out higher limits than other cards such as the CSP.  So with that logic, which one should I apply to first?  Should I apply for AMEX first then wait 6 months to apply for the Marriott Rewards card?  Should I apply at the same exact time?  Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.  My credit history is as follows.  I currently have the following credit cards...

Chase Freedom $1500<<<Converted from Circuit City when they went out of business in 2008 or 09.  Member since 2008

Capital One Quicksilver $2250.  Member since 2010

Capital One Quicksilver $1650<<<Converted from HSBC Platinum Card.  Member since 2010

AMEX Zync Charge Card.  Member since 2011.

Citi Thank You Preferred $6100. Member since 2012.

According to myfico.com my EX 741, EQ 741, TU 765.  These are my actual credit FICO scores as of 3/10.  Income is 60k/year, single, 1 inquiry since OCT 2012 and I am currently using 16% of my available credit.  I have 1 late payment on a school loan from 2010 and no other negatives.

With this info IS there a chance I would get denied either card?  Is there perhaps a card out there that I am not thinking about that I really should consider?  After this I intend to garden for at least a year or 2.  If anyone has any other thoughts, or suggestions...I am all ears.

P.S.  This forum is really awesome and very addicting! 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: Chase or AMEX? Plus, a ton of questions!

In regards to a travel card, do you have a specific brand you like? If not, I'd actually suggest the Barclay Arrival for general travel. If you stay at Marriott, the Premier card is great! Fast point accrual and a free night upon approval. Plus the AF is covered by the annual free night certificate. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Forgot to add, I think you will be fine for those cards, even with the late.

Message 3 of 12
erdoganog
Valued Member

i would say go with chase they give better limits than "amex" and is accepted everywhere in the world....

amex is my lowest limit card at 2k i have various at 7-10k cards citi chase barclays usbank etc amex nevfer budged a limit for 2 years

Began 8/2015
Goal 10/2016 Garden

Message 4 of 12
noobody
Established Contributor

i do not think you would have any problem getting both cards,

but imho marriott card is useless for general spending, 70K signning bonus is great and annual free night is good.

blue sky is a 1.3% card,you have better option, i would not touch that either.

i would go with CSP and or arrival AND new Amex everyday or BCE/BCP depending on your spending patten

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 5 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Determine the one that's more important to you and then app for it.  I really don't see anything in your OP that would clearly point to one or the other so you'd have to clarify exactly what you're after for feedback (as well as your question about other cards).  Why do you think you need a miles card?  Are you specifically looking for a cobranded hotel card and why?  Give us info to work with to better understand what you're specifically looking for.

Message 6 of 12
ras_34
Established Member

Thank yku for all ofyour replys.  I do enjoy staying at Marriott's and with work and do really really like the look of that black metal card.  Looks aside, I feel that the sign up bonus is one that I cannot pass up.  I also don't want any more cards below a 5k limit.  The MR card is a visa signature and im afraid I won't get a high credit limit with Barclaycard since I do not havearelationship. 

I have not considered getting 3 new cards but if that is what is best and gives me the best chance at some higher limit cards then I will app.  

Reason I was considering the Amex is because I do want a revolver with them.  But perhaps the Blue Sky isn't the best route. Any other amex revolver ideas?

Message 7 of 12
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

the new AMEX revolver card comes out next month. A little different system. May be worth looking into. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 8 of 12
maksimfa
Contributor

The marriott is well worth the annual fee. If you stay at Marriott,  the card more than pays for itself.  Points are also great for vacation travel package redemptions.

also, apply for the Amex blue cash, the old one while you can.Smiley Happy 5% cash back on gas! drugs! groceries after 6,500.

Message 9 of 12
ras_34
Established Member

Thanks! Ok well should I apply for both on the same day? Same exact time? Open one then wait a few months? I am looking at applying today.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.