cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

If I  deposit $500 in cash in my checking account on a non-business day  the money won't all be available immediately.  It  seems the same thing goes for when making payments too.  The transaction will remain pending until the next business day. 

Message 21 of 64
daylove
Regular Contributor

Payment due on a Sat or Sunday should be paid on Friday...always pay on a business day (Mon-Fri)

Message 22 of 64
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

All in all I simply think its insanely stupid that a cash transaction at the actual bank of the account cannot get a same day credit when the due date is THAT day.

I mean the only solutions are Rube Goldberg work arounds?

+1

And for those commenting about when things ought to be paid and how, you might want to realize that OP is not one of the flakier members here by any means. I think he knows how to pay his bills. Smiley Wink

Every now and again, we're all gonna **bleep** up. Guaranteed. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it will. A week with a Monday holiday where Friday "feels" like a Thursday; set up bill-pay for the wrong account; paid out of the wrong account; paid TO the wrong account; you name it. If it happens, and you have to go into scramble mode, it's useful to know what does and does not work.

This aging, doddering member (me, I mean) learned something today about how payments are credited, and there might be a few others who did so as well.

edited to re-insert random semi-colon

edited also to apologize for anyone offended by the **bleep.** It wasn't an obscenity, it was a common use of the word that describes how one removes the top of a jar, but since it was used too often here in a bleep-you context, it wound up on the naughty list. One day I'll remember that.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 64
athensguy
Valued Contributor

It would be illegal for them to charge you a late fee:

Credit CARD Act

Section 106:

"(a) In General- Section 127 of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1637) is amended by adding at the end the following:

‘(o) Due Dates for Credit Card Accounts-

‘(1) IN GENERAL- The payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be the same day each month.

‘(2) WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY DUE DATES- If the payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan is a day on which the creditor does not receive or accept payments by mail (including weekends and holidays), the creditor may not treat a payment received on the next business day as late for any purpose.’."

AND

From Section 202:

"(C) PAYMENTS AT LOCAL BRANCHES- If the creditor, in the case of a credit card account referred to in subparagraph (A), is a financial institution which maintains branches or offices at which payments on any such account are accepted from the obligor in person, the date on which the obligor makes a payment on the account at such branch or office shall be considered to be the date on which the payment is made for purposes of determining whether a late fee or charge may be imposed due to the failure of the obligor to make payment on or before the due date for such payment.’."

Message 24 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, Lets talk.

Its a Chase Freedom Card.

The Due Date was/is 6/18. Saturday. Today.

Online Billpay from my two main Banks/accounts USAA AND NFCU, (and even if I used my local Dollar bank) does not do weekends.

When setting the online bill pay I accidentally set it to Capital One one the 17th, when I logged into my account this morning I saw the error realized what I had done and immediately drove to Chase with cash to pay the bill.

Have you ever tried to pay through the Chase Credit Card Online Acct?   It's much better than pay at the bank at last minute.  I normally pays through the bank web site, but sometimes I had to make the payments through the credit card online acct to be ON TIME.  

In the past, I made the payment on the due date and somehow it was posted as received payment on the following day.  I called in and rep saw the transaction made on the due date and waved late fee for me.

IMO ~ payment with cash at bank is inconvenience.   Wait in the line is the most wasting time ...   So, I am so used to do online banking and bill payments.   Smiley Tongue

Message 25 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

If I  deposit $500 in cash in my checking account on a non-business day  the money won't all be available immediately.  It  seems the same thing goes for when making payments too.  The transaction will remain pending until the next business day. 

Umm again as I said about Chase's policy and this one, its really institution specific.

My Local bank is Dollar Bank, and they are known to have late open drive up windows. (7 and 8 at night)

I specifically asked and was told that when cash is deposited in either checking or savings to a teller, the second they enter/finalize the transaction the money is available.  It would stop someone from depositing money on Friday night and having a debit card transaction blocked.

Again I understand many things, and the crisis was averted. I can even understand if this transaction was say after 2:30 on Saturday.

My issue, and apparantly other peoples issue was, how can you actually be open, at a normal, fully functional branch, with a teller involved cash transaction and not get credit at 9:30 in the morning.

If other people were not thinking something was wrong they would not have amended the law.

Message 26 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have banking acct with NFCU?    If not don't you open one ... I just guessed from your user name.  If you are not eligible, sorry ...

Message 27 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a banking account at both NFCU and USAA. The closest NFCU branch to me is the federal building 30 minutes highway then parking fun away. I understand about some mutual credit union reciprocity but...., i use them for dd. My cash income I deposit to Dollar Bank free checking. Then just write myself a check that I scan into USAA and pay bills from.

The Freedom card is my oldest active line of credit.

Message 28 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, then do you have Chase CC online acct?  and able to log in to your Freedom acct?

Message 29 of 64
Amnesia87
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, then do you have Chase CC online acct?  and able to log in to your Freedom acct?

This is what I'm currious about... Why are you trying to send the money using bill pay with NFCU or USAA? It seems it would be more efficient to access your Chase account and PULL the money, since in general, when you do that, even if the money isn't pulled until later, it counts for that day, and is logged in their system as paid on that date.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 30 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.