cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

I haven't had anything similar happen...but this is what I do to avoid such situations.

When a statement cuts on one of our accounts, I immediately make an online payment for the minimum amount due (usually anywhere from $20-$60, depending on what we've put on the card that month). That way, I know that my payment is made on time.

Now, we normally pay everything else due on the card a day or two before the due date finally arrives...but, if we forgot or had something happen like you just did...well, our payment had already been made and credited a few weeks before.

We would never have a late payment fee. It gives me peace of mind and gives me the rest of the time to pay it off and avoid interest.

Does that mean 2 payments per month? Sure it does...but the peace of mind is worth it.

Message 31 of 64
DI
Super Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

I haven't had anything similar happen...but this is what I do to avoid such situations.

When a statement cuts on one of our accounts, I immediately make an online payment for the minimum amount due (usually anywhere from $20-$60, depending on what we've put on the card that month). That way, I know that my payment is made on time.

Now, we normally pay everything else due on the card a day or two before the due date finally arrives...but, if we forgot or had something happen like you just did...well, our payment had already been made and credited a few weeks before.

We would never have a late payment fee. It gives me peace of mind and gives me the rest of the time to pay it off and avoid interest.

Does that mean 2 payments per month? Sure it does...but the peace of mind is worth it.

+1 I do the same thing LynetteM

Message 32 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amnesia87 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, then do you have Chase CC online acct?  and able to log in to your Freedom acct?

This is what I'm currious about... Why are you trying to send the money using bill pay with NFCU or USAA? It seems it would be more efficient to access your Chase account and PULL the money, since in general, when you do that, even if the money isn't pulled until later, it counts for that day, and is logged in their system as paid on that date.

Nothing wrong with it.  It's up to you how you want to pay.   You can pay through the banking acct, you can pay through the ccs acct, you can pay at the teller at the branch, you can pay at the customer service desk for the store cards.  It's your choice!

OP has banking with NFCU and USAA.  But there was some reason ... see OP's posts.

My case:

* I have banking accts and CCs with both NFCU and Chase.

* I pays my Chase ccs through Chase online acct.

* I pays rest of ccs through NFCU online acct.

* Sometime,  when it is late to pay from the online banking accts,

I make the payments through cc's online acct to avoid the late payments situation.

~ We all busy some how, so you just need to figure out what's the best method to pay your bills on time that works for you. ~

Message 33 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to thank everyone for giving me advice how to pay my bills.

I have been so confused for so long, thank you.

Wow at my age I had no idea that making a mistake with your Chase account 1 time in 3 years was such a sign of pure stupidity on my part. (I have had the account for 6 years but I made a mistake 4 years ago when I set my online bill pay to one day past the due date...gee pattern misconduct on my part)

I hope you all maintain your sterling record of never ever making the slightest mistake. For the rest of your life.

First: As to why I decided to go to a Chase branch instead of using the online bill pay account set up from Chase, well first and foremost at 9:20 AM when I realized my problem, I looked out my Living room window to the Chase branch across the street, I put my sweatpants on and walked over.

Secondly I dislike bandying my ACH info to everyone. As when mistakes happen you really can be hamstrung in the time processing of getting stuff figured out.

I can tell you all about my wonderfull experience before I was ever a member of the FICO Forums where, with the joys of Check 21 I had 2 exact same check images, check number, and check amount  $1,251.17 (of one check) hit my checking account on two consecutive days. And the wonderfull two weeks it took to straighten it out.  You would think that NFCU would have been faster to resolve the issue, or credit the money into my account so I did not bounce any of the other 3 checks I had out- or you know live and pay my bills. But Alas there was a lot of finger pointing at who was really at fault: Me- who actually only wrote one check, NFCU (who felt there was no problem- I still wonder why we even have check numbers then) the person I wrote the check to (who had cashed it once) or the National bank that may have submitted the info twice. It was a computer glitch, I was told Honest. But no one really rushed to put the money back into my account until it was all figured out. To this day I never was told what had happened, even when I asked well where did the money go as the person  I wrote the check too did not get a magical deposit the next day. Even when I had the representative on the phone and we were looking at the check images and they were exactly the same, endorements and all. Curous and something they would look into. It was eventually all resolved. (By the way I was told check numbers really do not matter. One of the things that "helped" my case was the deposit transaction information/number on the back of the check being exactly the same-but it helped, it didn't solve.)

And please to everyone who is going to rush ahead and say it didn't happen, it did. To everyone who is going to say they know NFCU would have immediately gave me the money pending the investigation, no they didn't. And to everyone who wants to say Well I would have gotten a Lawyer--yeah cause that would have cost money and time and if I had enough money for a Lawyer visit, I would not have been scrambling for a cash after the double hit.

As such I prefer to use my banks bill Payment systems where I have certain guarantees and protections. Maybe my fears are not well grounded but hey, we all have our superstitions.

The purpose of my original post was a vent/rant over the simple fact that in 2011, with computer and networks and all sorts of high tech, a Full, National Bank branch, for no real reasons, does not want to credit a same day payment, in cash, from an account holder on their product. (by the way, as has been shown possibly against the existing laws) When they can do it. I cannot imagine the networks cannot really talk to each other. it simply a policy they choose to enact.

I can go to Target at 8:59 PM on a Sunday and get same day credit for a check payment on my Target card. Maybe it will not show up when I go home and log in, or if I log in leaving the store with my iphone, but It will show up the next day,

I can go to a Ruby Tuesday at 1:00 PM and activate and buy a gift card that can then be used by someone else at 4:00PM at a different store. In fact i can use the Gift card number and someone in a different state can use it.

ETA: and in case you were wondering I actually have a secondary checking account set up for two way ACH transactions  like Amazon Seller payments and such that I use, not my main ones at USAA and NFCU to firewall me from such problems.

We are all so impressed by the protections we have as credit card holder/users that we become fish out of water when we have problems with other types of accounts.

Message 34 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't forget to call Chase to request to change the payment date and wave the late fee.   Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't forget to call Chase to request to change the payment date and wave the late fee.   Smiley Wink

I know, I just logged in and they did not credit me, so i will see what happens tomorrow.

Message 36 of 64
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I'm totally with you on all this, USMC.  It's ludicrous!

In my opinion, once your U.S. dollars, greenbacks, cold hard cash hits the sweaty hands inside the doors of Chase bank, they could/should work out the details of how to route that money and give you credit for having paid them on time.  You handed over green dollar bills to them.  You walked out $X poorer and they have that same $X in their coffers now. They can figure out the rest.

This is an extreme illustration of how completely un-customer-friendly they really are.

I mean, seriously - most companies will accept a paper check that could be written from the Bank of Ronald McDonald Coloring Book and call it "on time" but they could not accept cash?  Right there within their own hallowed halls?

I'm not surprised, though, given my general opinion of Chase.  Citibank - another of the same ilk.  I once asked if I could make our citi car payment at the brick-and-mortar bank building in our town that is sitting there for... for what?  Do people actually have Citibank checking accounts?  And they said "no."    Welcome to the senseless and non-human-friendly bureaucracy, designed to part you from your money, and grab a little more from you if you slip up and miss one of the inflexible caveats regarding acceptable times and places for proper payment.

This may be a dumb question, but... do you think they'll reverse the fee if you ask for it?  I've sweet-talked myself out of a few similar fees with shyster credit cards companies and with my nice, friendly local bank alike.  It's worth a try.  Put on your most groveling, sweetie-pie voice when you call up to talk about how distressed you are for having made such a mistake... then explain what lengths you took trying to make it right, and plead politely with them to reverse that fee; then promise that you've learned now, and will make sure it never happens again.  If you want that fee reversed, that's what you'll have to do.  I don't know if Chase, Citibank, and all those other megabanks which are cut from the same cloth will do that, but you may want to try.

Valued Contributor

Saturdays and Sundays do not count as banking days--they count as Monday. The bank dates it forward to the next business day because they operate as the Federal Reserve Bank does. Business days are Monday-Friday. Your payment made Saturday at the branch in case was, according to bank rules, made Monday. Cash doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of banking. It's available for withdrawals and checks, but not really for purchases or loan payments. No, I do not work for Chase, but I am extremely familiar with how retail banks operate.

Message 38 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I'm totally with you on all this, USMC.  It's ludicrous!

This may be a dumb question, but... do you think they'll reverse the fee if you ask for it?  I've sweet-talked myself out of a few similar fees with shyster credit cards companies and with my nice, friendly local bank alike.  It's worth a try.  Put on your most groveling, sweetie-pie voice when you call up to talk about how distressed you are for having made such a mistake... then explain what lengths you took trying to make it right, and plead politely with them to reverse that fee; then promise that you've learned now, and will make sure it never happens again.  If you want that fee reversed, that's what you'll have to do.  I don't know if Chase, Citibank, and all those other megabanks which are cut from the same cloth will do that, but you may want to try.

Im sure they will. I already "notififed" card services that I had made a payment and the new credit card rules do offer a policy guideline (but funnily no punishments to my knowledge so that may be a moot point)

Message 39 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:

Saturdays and Sundays do not count as banking days--they count as Monday. The bank dates it forward to the next business day because they operate as the Federal Reserve Bank does. Business days are Monday-Friday. Your payment made Saturday at the branch in case was, according to bank rules, made Monday. Cash doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of banking. It's available for withdrawals and checks, but not really for purchases or loan payments. No, I do not work for Chase, but I am extremely familiar with how retail banks operate.

Have you read the thread?

As has already been stated:

1- Policy changes in credit card rules do make it seem they will have to accept it as on time.

2-as many people have pointed out there are existing, although seemingly more complex, ways to get a SUNDAY or SATURDAY payment to credit.

3-If they have ways that do give crediting on a weekend then why does a payment in cash at the bank not credit?

4-If I can make a Saturday, online ACH Transaction from a FIRELANDS FARMER (one small branch) CREDIT UNION that they will give me credit for, it seems silly that they will not accept a cash payment in their branch with the same timeliness.

5- Since they have" some" ways of doing it it really does seem that not allowing an in branch teller payment to credit is an artificial construct.

Again my whole post is about the Sillyness.

Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.