cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

Update:

So On Sunday I had noted that the Late payment fee was on the card.

On Monday all day the payment had not credited, the late payment fee was on it, and they had jacked me to penalty interest.

So I called India to ask what was going on.

For some reason India knew more then the person I had spoken to on Saturday.

India said that on close of business Monday the system would see I had made a payment and automatically reverse the late fee and the penalty rate.

Woke up today and saw it did.

Still not really sure if that is not work around way of complying with the law or not,  but it is what it is.

Message 61 of 64
mew
Valued Member

Glad you got the fee back, but did they fix the penalty interest rate?

Starting Score: 400's
Current Score: EQ 790 EX 782 TU 765 NOV 2013 (MYFICO SCORES)
Goal Score: All Above 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 62 of 64
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

‘(2) WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY DUE DATES- If the payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan is a day on which the creditor does not receive or accept payments by mail (including weekends and holidays), the creditor may not treat a payment received on the next business day as late for any purpose.’."

This is actually a fairly horribly phrased statute.  It's potentially inapposite to the situation.  If, for example, Chase does accept payments by mail on Saturdays, then the law doesn't apply.  So they could potentially be free to accept payments by mail on Saturday, but refuse to credit the cash payment on the Saturday.  

To be clear, I'm on the record that the way Chase handled this is incredibly stupid.  But this law could have been crafted more clearly.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 63 of 64
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

‘(2) WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY DUE DATES- If the payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan is a day on which the creditor does not receive or accept payments by mail (including weekends and holidays), the creditor may not treat a payment received on the next business day as late for any purpose.’."

This is actually a fairly horribly phrased statute.  It's potentially inapposite to the situation.  If, for example, Chase does accept payments by mail on Saturdays, then the law doesn't apply.  So they could potentially be free to accept payments by mail on Saturday, but refuse to credit the cash payment on the Saturday.  

To be clear, I'm on the record that the way Chase handled this is incredibly stupid.  But this law could have been crafted more clearly.

If they do accept payment by mail, then they have to credit the payment the same day it was received.

Message 64 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.