Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase prescreened offers (PROOF)...

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Chase prescreened offers (PROOF)...

I've posted a few threads asking questions about prescreened/prequalified offers and did a bit more digging because my Obessive Compulsive nature would not allow for anything else (lol).  A bit of background... I've tried every one that I can find including Barclay, Amex, BofA, Citi, CapOne, US Bank and the card match tool.  I personally get offers from Chase, US Bank, Citi, Amex and the card match tool spits out BoA, CapOne and a few others.  Searching all three bureaus, I could only find proof of two of them having actually looked at my credit via SP to give me an offer.  Those two were Chase and the card match tool.  I don't put much faith in the latter.  That said, I'm not sure where the US Bank, Amex and Citi offers come from unless it's their purchasing of a "bucket" that you might fall into, thus, giving you some type of offer.  I've read that the opt out prescreen language generally denotes a pretty 'firm offer of credit" and I only get that on Chase and Amex.  

In an effort to give a good example and possibly help others, I've created the below picture of what I believe to be the most solid "prescreened" offer out there.  The picture is broken down into three sections, top left, top right and bottom.  After filling in my name and address exactly as it appears on my credit report (yes, Ave or Avenue spelled out often matters for a match), Chase gives me offers for the Freedom and Slate.  As you can see in the top left, red box towards the bottom, the opt out prescreen language is a good sign that it's legit.  If you look closely, directly under the "respond now" at "pricing and terms" and click on it, it shows a specific interest rate in the top left of the picture (also, a good indicator of a more firm offer of credit).  Lastly, the bottom shows real proof that Chase did, in fact, look at my TU to give me this offer.  Nowhere on any other bureau do I see any of the other offers from Amex, Citi or US Bank via SP.  In fact, I didn't even have a "promotional inquiries' tab on TU until I tried Chase's prequal link.  The verbiage shown on TU that is cut off in the picture says "for a firm offer of credit".  All in all, I believe Chase's prequal link to be the most accurate as many folks have said before followed by Amex although I can't find a SP by them but they are the only other one that showed the opt out prescreen notice on their offer.  

Here's a kicker- the very first time I tried the Chase prequal link was on 2/3/2014.  I have tried it many times since then trying to get a CSP to show up and it has always given me the same recommendations.  My TU score has increased about 40 points since that date which leads me to believe that once you do it, it doesn't refresh or do a new SP every time.  You could be in a position for a prescreened CSP and the site just not show it because it's showing recommendations from a month ago.  All of the below was done today, 3/6/2014 but the only SP on TU is from 2/3/2014 and there hasn't been once since.  I bet I've tried it at least 15 times since my first try.  

Take all of this FWIW.  I've read a few threads today that said none of the prescreened offers are based on a SP.  Below shows that Chase does for a fact.  I haven't app'ed for a Chase card yet but I truly believe based on my research, it would be an instant approval.  This is not a guaranteed approval, though.  Please remember, if your credit changes (new inquiries, high util, new accounts, new derogs, etc.) and their site is not refreshing via SP since the first time you tried, you may have qualified when you first tried the link but won't when you app based on items Chase may not like.  I still haven't found a way to make it refresh.  If someone finds a way, please do share.

Hope this helps in some way.  Happy app'ing! Smiley Happy

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase prescreened offers (PROOF)...

@axledobe wrote:

I've posted a few threads asking questions about prescreened/prequalified offers and did a bit more digging because my Obessive Compulsive nature would not allow for anything else (lol).  A bit of background... I've tried every one that I can find including Barclay, Amex, BofA, Citi, CapOne, US Bank and the card match tool.  I personally get offers from Chase, US Bank, Citi, Amex and the card match tool spits out BoA, CapOne and a few others.  Searching all three bureaus, I could only find proof of two of them having actually looked at my credit via SP to give me an offer.  Those two were Chase and the card match tool.  I don't put much faith in the latter.  That said, I'm not sure where the US Bank, Amex and Citi offers come from unless it's their purchasing of a "bucket" that you might fall into, thus, giving you some type of offer.  I've read that the opt out prescreen language generally denotes a pretty 'firm offer of credit" and I only get that on Chase and Amex.  

In an effort to give a good example and possibly help others, I've created the below picture of what I believe to be the most solid "prescreened" offer out there.  The picture is broken down into three sections, top left, top right and bottom.  After filling in my name and address exactly as it appears on my credit report (yes, Ave or Avenue spelled out often matters for a match), Chase gives me offers for the Freedom and Slate.  As you can see in the top left, red box towards the bottom, the opt out prescreen language is a good sign that it's legit.  If you look closely, directly under the "respond now" at "pricing and terms" and click on it, it shows a specific interest rate in the top left of the picture (also, a good indicator of a more firm offer of credit).  Lastly, the bottom shows real proof that Chase did, in fact, look at my TU to give me this offer.  Nowhere on any other bureau do I see any of the other offers from Amex, Citi or US Bank via SP.  In fact, I didn't even have a "promotional inquiries' tab on TU until I tried Chase's prequal link.  The verbiage shown on TU that is cut off in the picture says "for a firm offer of credit".  All in all, I believe Chase's prequal link to be the most accurate as many folks have said before followed by Amex although I can't find a SP by them but they are the only other one that showed the opt out prescreen notice on their offer.  

Here's a kicker- the very first time I tried the Chase prequal link was on 2/3/2014.  I have tried it many times since then trying to get a CSP to show up and it has always given me the same recommendations.  My TU score has increased about 40 points since that date which leads me to believe that once you do it, it doesn't refresh or do a new SP every time.  You could be in a position for a prescreened CSP and the site just not show it because it's showing recommendations from a month ago.  All of the below was done today, 3/6/2014 but the only SP on TU is from 2/3/2014 and there hasn't been once since.  I bet I've tried it at least 15 times since my first try.  

Take all of this FWIW.  I've read a few threads today that said none of the prescreened offers are based on a SP.  Below shows that Chase does for a fact.  I haven't app'ed for a Chase card yet but I truly believe based on my research, it would be an instant approval.  This is not a guaranteed approval, though.  Please remember, if your credit changes (new inquiries, high util, new accounts, new derogs, etc.) and their site is not refreshing via SP since the first time you tried, you may have qualified when you first tried the link but won't when you app based on items Chase may not like.  I still haven't found a way to make it refresh.  If someone finds a way, please do share.

Hope this helps in some way.  Happy app'ing! Smiley Happy

i just did the same thing with the exact same result. the funniest thing is that u.s. bank suggests one of their signature cards while i am only 26 months post chapter 7 with a 702 midscore

Message 2 of 9
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

juggalo9er- I bank with US Bank and have for 13 years.  If you have any kind of account with them, you can call and see if you have a prequalifed offer showing in your account (it only shows on their side).  I have an offer for a Platinum card (basically a balance transfer, 15 month 0% card).  I'm not interested because I'm looking to add a couple of rewards cards but do think I would have a shot if I applied.  I think calling them is the only way to see if you have any believable offers.  

Message 3 of 9
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i do not have any accounts with them i have chase (no pre-qual) and a cu. i have just always heard u.s. bank is extremely unfriendly to bk

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I believe the Chase, Discover, Citi, Barlcay, Bank of America, and Capital One Pre-Qualified tools because I have used them for my partner and for several friends and people I know helping with credit and have never seen an offer turn into a denial.

I don't trust USbank, or creditcards.com and im up in the air on the amex because it seems a little new that it's back.

Message 5 of 9
Vegas247
Established Contributor

I'm a believer in the Chase Pre Screen offer...used it the other day, and it worked like a charm.

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 6 of 9
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@Vegas247 wrote:

I'm a believer in the Chase Pre Screen offer...used it the other day, and it worked like a charm.

Vegas, were you able to find your SP?  If so, what bureau?

Message 7 of 9
Vegas247
Established Contributor

I don't know if they did a soft pull...the hard pull was from TU...I don't have a credit monitoring account....but the recon guy from Chase that I was on the phone with (in case I got denied, turned out I didn't need any recon) kinda laughed as if it was almost guaranteed when I told him that I got an offer for CSP and Freedom ....

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 8 of 9
doctorofcredit
Valued Member

Are there a lot of data points of people who haven't had significant credit changes in the past six months not being approved after receiving a pre screened/pre qualification offer?

Working with friends and family, I've never seen this before.

TU08 - 823
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.